Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

19 sounds kind of low.. I know with the 32 GB RT you get 16 essentially because the recovery partition plus the OS... I guess assuming the OS is 20 GB... and then the recovery partition is a full install so another 20 GB... you're down to 24 GB... then perhaps some other stuff... If that is the case im really disappointed that they don't include the partition in a USB or something.. Or give people instructions on how to do it.. they wont know to go looking.. they'll think "oh... I get ripped off!"

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Do we actually know for a fact that the recovery partition and installed software will be the same on the 64gb as the 128gb? Because I doubt it. So the 19gb estimation is probably off.

Quote Originally Posted by spaulagain View Post
    I'm not worried about personal files. SD slot and SkyDrive Will be fine for that. But what about when I install Adobe Design suite, AutoCAD, etc.?
    CS6 is taking up about 10.5 GBs on my PC now. 19 GB definitely will not be enough, I guess I will getting the 128GB model & grab a 1TB portable hard drive.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Why carry all of your files with you all of the time? I have a 3 TB wireless hard drive that I can access from ANYWHERE in the world. So my movies, files, photos, etc. are on a personal cloud that comes straight from my house. My main concern for the 83 free GB would be the programs but after Photoshop and some misc. programs, everything else is relatively small.

Surface RT uses eMMC flash memory while Pro will have a "full-blown" SSD, so there's still hope the Pro uses an mSATA solution like the Samsung Series 7 did. It'll probably be a pain to disassemble though.

Turning off hibernation and virtual memory (aka swap, paging) will free up many GBs. (Two huge hidden files are in c:\ folder.) But disabling swap space is probably not recommended unless you have lots of physical memory.

My W8 Pro tablet has almost 20GB free space on 32GB disk.

64GB model just 19GB free?

I call a W500 my own. 32GB of storage in total. Win8 Pro does need something like 10-12GB. I installed the Beta of Office and many many games. Games like GTA-SA were stored on the sd-card. The appstore apps of cause on the ssd. I still had something like 4GB left.

Later i had to reinstall my windows because of a faulty driver. Sadly the windows.old directory still sits on my ssd needing 12gb. Right know, having 2 times windows, some games, many apps and mostly stuff from the university(but no office).... 1GB left. (going to free up some right now!)

If you think about the surface pro having minimum the double amount of space... is think 64GB should be fine if you use: Office and one bigger program like Adobe or Solidworks. You should end up with enough space for program files or pictures.
    Last edited by matrixcruiser; 01-28-2013 at 06:48 AM.

It seems as though most people in this thread so far are living in the higher end of PC demands. There are two versions out and clearly the 64GB version is not for you and complaining about it isn't really reasonable. If you have higher demands on computers you will always be living in the higher end of hardware. I personally feel I would be much happier with a 256GB drive too..

The question for the validity of the 64GB option is it it enough for my parents. In this case I would say it is. They aren't towing around masses of pictures, but do store some for showing friends. They don't have music and so far TuneIn radio as an app has been enough to cover that whole area. To be honest The Surface Pro isn't for them as the RT is more than enough for what they do do.

But my mother in law is really keen on the Pro and on being able to use the pen for annotating documents as she is in the education sector. The RT doesn't suit here and she needs to run some legacy apps because software in her profession is lagging so much. But she is more than comfortable with only 19GB spare..

Everything has its place, its just if you can validate it enough to say it deserves being a staple offering....

Actually, they didn't say that about the 64GB version, did they? I believe they only gave numbers for the 128GB. I have found, based on the two different Samsung tablets I have, that Windows 8 reserves different amounts of space for recovery, file history, etc depending on how large the disk is. I expect you will find about 20ish GB of space used on the lower end Surface.

My current machine is a Samsung tablet with 128GB, so I assume the Surface Pro 128GB will be very similar, and there is a very easy trick to recover about 17GB of space- just use the built in tool to move the recovery media from the SDD to a USB flash drive. I don't have any idea why, but the recovery partition on mine was huge, and I was happy to get that space back.

Back to your original question, however, yes, MS really should have a 256GB version.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsp4 View Post
    Surface RT uses eMMC flash memory while Pro will have a "full-blown" SSD, so there's still hope the Pro uses an mSATA solution like the Samsung Series 7 did. It'll probably be a pain to disassemble though.
    I'm be shocked if that didn't void the warranty.

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts
    Sounds like people will have to buy a SD card and a USB drive to expand storage by 64GB and 15-20GB, respectively. MS should at least throw in the USB drive as a good will gesture.

Will the surface be SDXC compatible, and if so, can I use a 128gb SD card?

Engadget is now reporting they have official word from Microsoft:

128GB Surface Pro ships with 83GB free, 64GB has only 23GB

That must be worst case. I have 64gb ssds in my windows 8 PC and laptop. Also one running 2012 server. There's enough space for anything. It should be about 32gb used and free after install. But with shadow copies and everything else and being used for a few months the 19gb sounds right on. I can see why Microsoft is saying that, they do not want people to see 64gb and be upset because the os uses 30gb
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

There it is, the reply to my question. It is SDXC but only up to 64gb, which is a shame since there's 128gb cards now and that would've alleviated the storage situation. Oh well...
    Last edited by Raduc78; 01-29-2013 at 02:13 PM.

The storage available versus advertised is a joke. 64gb and you only have 23gb, less than half, useable storage?! What a crock!

Global Posts
    2,538 Global Posts
    Its just like any other computer, available storage is always less than actual storage. Delete the recovery partition, uninstall bloatware and you have something in the region of 30GB. If the 64GB isnt enough get the 128GB version. If you cant or wont get that, get something else with a 1TB. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Its just like any other computer, available storage is always less than actual storage. Delete the recovery partition, uninstall bloatware and you have something in the region of 30GB. If the 64GB isnt enough get the 128GB version. If you cant or wont get that, get something else with a 1TB. Problem solved.
    Not exactly. In most cases, you done get less than half of advertised storage. This is worse, much worse.
    MS Office Trial is pre installed. Also SD Card does add 64Gb. But In use a 128Gb Ativ-S Pro. I tend to agree with you.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleon View Post
    Actually, they didn't say that about the 64GB version, did they? I believe they only gave numbers for the 128GB. I have found, based on the two different Samsung tablets I have, that Windows 8 reserves different amounts of space for recovery, file history, etc depending on how large the disk is. I expect you will find about 20ish GB of space used on the lower end Surface.

My current machine is a Samsung tablet with 128GB, so I assume the Surface Pro 128GB will be very similar, and there is a very easy trick to recover about 17GB of space- just use the built in tool to move the recovery media from the SDD to a USB flash drive. I don't have any idea why, but the recovery partition on mine was huge, and I was happy to get that space back.

Back to your original question, however, yes, MS really should have a 256GB version.
    MS should offer 64Gb, 128Gb, 256Gb, 384Gb and 512Gb. Also to make sure that Apple is left in the dust.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    The fact that the necessity of having to buy a SD card just to have space is absurd to me. At least offer a free SD card for the users or something.

I dont see why its an issue. It comes with a usb 3 port. That means i can link it up to a 2TB portable drive for all my x86 programs, all my music, pictures and films and run everything off of there. Are people really going to use 83GB for apps?? I dont think there are 83gb worth of apps in the entire store.

Or (more likely) has it suddenly become an issue because Apple just said they are releasing a 128GB ipad for roughly the same price as the surface pro?

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I dont see it as an issue, but you have to consider the computer illiterate people who will not know/move the partition files off the surface to gain more space.

A person who thinks "Oh 64GB should be good enough for me" will be shocked/disappointed when they see they only have 23GB left or run out of space in about 2-3 months. Then this leads to bad word of mouth being spread, thus hurting sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolknight1968 View Post
    MS should offer 64Gb, 128Gb, 256Gb, 384Gb and 512Gb. Also to make sure that Apple is left in the dust.
    512 SSD's are ridiculously expensive though no point pricing themsleves out of the market.

Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    I dont see why its an issue. It comes with a usb 3 port. That means i can link it up to a 2TB portable drive for all my x86 programs, all my music, pictures and films and run everything off of there. Are people really going to use 83GB for apps?? I dont think there are 83gb worth of apps in the entire store.

Or (more likely) has it suddenly become an issue because Apple just said they are releasing a 128GB ipad for roughly the same price as the surface pro?
    I like how sites like Gizmodo talk about Apples 128GB iPad and say no one needs it because everything is moving / should be stored in the cloud but bash MS because their tablet doesn't have a ton of local storage.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast