Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree3Likes
  1. iknowsingh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    115 Posts
       #1  
    I've had a Samsung Series 7 slate for almost a year now, way before the Surface announcement. I've been debating getting the Pro for a little while now, but wanted the opinions of others. The Pro and my Slate are similar in many ways.. I even made an Excel sheet comparing select specs (including my upgrades to the Samsung... like installing Windows 8, etc.) - http://sdrv.ms/108hhca

    I've been also thinking that if I get another tablet similar to what I have now... will I be kicking myself when the Surface 2 is announced? Should I just wait for the next Surface?

    I appreciate your thoughts in advance!
    Last edited by iknowsingh; 01-15-2013 at 05:17 PM.
  2. JerseySal's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    548 Posts
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    #2  
    I'd wait dude. Good things come to those who wait. I'm still waiting for Hammy's heart to explode. Lets hope our patience pays off.
    ~Sal
    iknowsingh likes this.
  3. #3  
    Awesome!!
    Last edited by unstoppablekem; 01-15-2013 at 10:50 PM.
  4. #4  
    You could put windows 8 on to your samsung series 7.

    Even if it doesn't have a touch screen, there is nothing that the S7 can't do than a Surface Pro.
    Thanked by:
  5. iknowsingh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    115 Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rdubmu View Post
    You could put windows 8 on to your samsung series 7.

    Even if it doesn't have a touch screen, there is nothing that the S7 can't do than a Surface Pro.
    I do have Windows 8 Pro on my Series 7 (since launch night!)... and that's exactly my train of thought right now. Aside from the external hardware differences (sleeker look, kickstand) it's pretty close to what I have now.

    :)
  6. DustinBooyah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #6  
    Ill probably get a Surface Pro.

    My current hardware situation makes it a reasonable purchase though. I don't have a laptop anymore and I need one. If I were in your shoes, I would just get Windows 8 because your tablet is nice enough as it is.

    Edit: didn't see your reply above, but yeah lol I think you're good to go
    Thanked by:
  7. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    841 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by DustinBooyah View Post
    Ill probably get a Surface Pro.

    My current hardware situation makes it a reasonable purchase though. I don't have a laptop anymore and I need one. If I were in your shoes, I would just get Windows 8 because your tablet is nice enough as it is.

    Edit: didn't see your reply above, but yeah lol I think you're good to go
    +1

    My laptop is over 8 years old and pretty much worthless. I currently don't have a tablet either. The Surface Pro is perfect for what I need in portability and is powerful enough to bring Adobe Design Suite, AutoCAD, and development software with me!! :)
    Ekon likes this.
  8. failed1234's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    178 Posts
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by spaulagain View Post
    +1

    My laptop is over 8 years old and pretty much worthless. I currently don't have a tablet either. The Surface Pro is perfect for what I need in portability and is powerful enough to bring Adobe Design Suite, AutoCAD, and development software with me!! :)
    Wow, eight years? Never could get that much out of a laptop...
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express
    rdubmu likes this.
  9. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    841 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by failed1234 View Post
    Wow, eight years? Never could get that much out of a laptop...
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express
    Lol, ya its actually still going technically and I put Windows 7 on it a couple years ago. But its really slow, and just not practical anymore. Plus its a decade old Dell design, so its uhhhgly.

    I use it as evidence of tough Dells when people complain about a "****ty" Dell. ;)
  10. #10  
    Curious, when you get a surface pro, could you put earlier versions of windows?
  11. wpguy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    126 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by spaulagain View Post
    Lol, ya its actually still going technically and I put Windows 7 on it a couple years ago. But its really slow, and just not practical anymore. Plus its a decade old Dell design, so its uhhhgly.

    I use it as evidence of tough Dells when people complain about a "****ty" Dell. ;)
    Dell got ****ty shortly after you bought your old laptop. ;)
  12. wpguy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    126 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    Curious, when you get a surface pro, could you put earlier versions of windows?
    Curious, why would you want to do that?
  13. wpguy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    126 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by iknowsingh View Post
    I've had a Samsung Series 7 slate for almost a year now, way before the Surface announcement.
    ...
    I appreciate your thoughts in advance!
    Looking at your comparison chart, it boils down to one question: is upgrading to a 1920x1080 display worth $900?
  14. MashineGun's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #14  
    hey say the thread and wanted to share my thoughts and get yours.

    I own a samsung series 7 slate which I gave to my gf in view of the upcoming launch of the surface pro. Here is what motivated my choice:
    - resolution: the screen is said to be very good on the surface pro, and not only the resolution but some pre-reviews are also acknowledging the new layer technic implemented that really make the screen impressive
    - keyboard: I use a lot the touch and pen input but also the keyboard sometimes, which is very convenient to use and ATTACHED to your table in the surface (samsung has a BT keyboard: nice but not very practical on a tablet)
    - pen: samsung had one but in the case such as the keyboard, i think having it magnetically attached to the tablet will please me a lot
    - kickstand: nice add-on feature, not the first feature motivating my choice but nice addition when watching a movie or typing, not need for the dock of the samsung
    - overall some better hadrware: USB 3, Ivy Bridge
    - have the money and my gf needed a new laptop

    what I will miss from ths samsung:
    - the GPS: that was a very nice feature on the samsung which i didnt use very often but saved me a couple of times when my phone battery was dead
    - screen size: not sure of this one, will see when I'll take a look at the surface pro but the samsung had a 11'6 screen compared to the 10'6 (but maybe that's fine with me)
    Thanked by:
  15. Steve Ridges's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    156 Posts
    #15  
    Since your Samsung slate seems to be about 95% of a Surface Pro, I'd wait if I were you. I think the next version will have Intel's Haswell chip in it. That said, I think the Surface Pro will sell like hot cakes and if you don't buy one, that just increased my odds of getting one :).
    Thanked by:
  16. iknowsingh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    115 Posts
       #16  
    I want to thank all of you for your posts.. seems that most of you had the same idea I did :) I will be waiting for the next Surface... but its really tempting to get the Pro. It doesn't seem to make sense to purchase a marginal upgrade. It really is interesting that aside from a few specs, the 7 Slate still keeps up with the Surface Pro, released over a year later.
  17. TeknoBlast's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    197 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by failed1234 View Post
    Wow, eight years? Never could get that much out of a laptop...
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express
    I have a Sony Vaio that's around 6 or years old. Still running strong as long as I refresh the OS every several years or so. I did install Windows 8, but ran really slow though.
  18. coolqf's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    Curious, when you get a surface pro, could you put earlier versions of windows?
    The trick is finding drivers for it that are win7 drivers. The keyboard, mouse, and the touch screen are the only real concerns. Everything else is win 7 friendly.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by wpguy View Post
    Curious, why would you want to do that?
    I don't, I'm just curious.
  20. 11B1P's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    932 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,250 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by iknowsingh View Post
    I want to thank all of you for your posts.. seems that most of you had the same idea I did :) I will be waiting for the next Surface... but its really tempting to get the Pro. It doesn't seem to make sense to purchase a marginal upgrade. It really is interesting that aside from a few specs, the 7 Slate still keeps up with the Surface Pro, released over a year later.
    You can't play the waiting game in tech forever. There will always be something newer. Once the Surface 2 is released, people will be talking about the Surface 3, then the 4. You've got to decide at some point. Every six months in the tech world, they will always be introducing the next newest and greatest thing.

    PM me for more details
  21. iknowsingh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    115 Posts
       #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post
    You can't play the waiting game in tech forever. There will always be something newer. Once the Surface 2 is released, people will be talking about the Surface 3, then the 4. You've got to decide at some point. Every six months in the tech world, they will always be introducing the next newest and greatest thing.
    I know this too well :) Working as a Sprint rep it drives the point home seeing new phones churning out all the time. Having previously been obsessed with cutting edge desktops, I'm familiar with the idea... I guess I just wanted validation that it would be worth waiting for the next Surface since my upgrade from the Samsung slate to the Surface Pro wouldn't be a big jump. Going to the next Surface would probably make more sense financially and hardware-wise since the difference would be greater.

    I kicked myself when the Surface was announced.. but as you said, new things come out all the time. I just got a bit itchy this past month with the Pro arriving soon :P I made this thread to quell that itch a bit... it worked haha
  22. DalekSnare's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    124 Posts
    #22  
    I'm keeping my Samsung slate; it runs everything just fine still. The resolution's rubbish, but even the Pro's 1080 isn't that great either compared to the iPad.
  23. Jeffrey Seymore's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by iknowsingh View Post
    I've had a Samsung Series 7 slate for almost a year now, way before the Surface announcement. I've been debating getting the Pro for a little while now, but wanted the opinions of others. The Pro and my Slate are similar in many ways.. I even made an Excel sheet comparing select specs (including my upgrades to the Samsung... like installing Windows 8, etc.) - http://sdrv.ms/108hhca

    I've been also thinking that if I get another tablet similar to what I have now... will I be kicking myself when the Surface 2 is announced? Should I just wait for the next Surface?

    I appreciate your thoughts in advance!
    Just took a look at your spreadsheet (Very cool btw, I do similar things on whiteboards lol) and I wanted to let you know, that the "Micro display port" is nothing more than a standard Micro HDMI Port. No special cable is needed unless you want to hook it up to VGA :)
    Thanked by:
  24. iknowsingh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    115 Posts
       #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Seymore View Post
    Just took a look at your spreadsheet (Very cool btw, I do similar things on whiteboards lol) and I wanted to let you know, that the "Micro display port" is nothing more than a standard Micro HDMI Port. No special cable is needed unless you want to hook it up to VGA :)
    Thanks for the info! When I was making the spreadsheet, I pulled the Surface Pro's specs from surface.com... maybe they've updated it since :)

    I'm a total geek for using the Office Web Apps and embedding them all over the web, showing off the feature... haha
  25. howie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,156 Global Posts
    #25  
    I'm keeping my Slate 7 and skipping the Surface Pro until the next model.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Will the Surface Pro replace my Laptop
    By mafu6 in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows 8 Pro
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-08-2012, 10:06 AM
  2. Can I keep my Samsung Focus as a wifi only device?
    By texbob in forum Samsung Focus
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 09:02 PM
  3. Can I keep my Samsung Focus as a wifi only device?
    By texbob in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-26-2012, 03:08 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-13-2012, 11:33 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-16-2011, 02:06 AM

Posting Permissions

B