Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

If you want to game on a tablet and you want to have dedicated graphics why don't you wait for the Razer Edge? $100 more gives you dedicated graphics and the ability to buy peripherals that aren't a keyboard. And there is supposedly less bloat ware. BTW I'm really excited for the Edge!

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by picklo View Post
    If you want to game on a tablet and you want to have dedicated graphics why don't you wait for the Razer Edge? $100 more gives you dedicated graphics and the ability to buy peripherals that aren't a keyboard. And there is supposedly less bloat ware. BTW I'm really excited for the Edge!
    Because 90% of the things Razer comes out with, are trash.
    bawboh86 likes this.

Hi everyone,
    for information, i play starcraft 2 and fifa 13 (Origin) :
    - starcraft 2 : at native resolution, i can play with all settings set to medium. I did not test the 4v4 mode yet but in all other mode, it runs smooth.
    - fifa 13 : at native resolution, i can play with medium setting with no AA.
    For those who can't install Origin on Surface pro, a special Origin version for the tablet is available here : EA Forums

And i also update the latest Intel HD4000 drivers. I've noticed better performance like the others people on that ea forum.
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...22375&lang=eng

I've only one problem with motioninjoy to connect my ps3 controller in bluetooth to play Fifa 13 wireless. The built-in bluetooth is not recognize by motioninjoy.
    I also tried with an old bluetooth adapter which worked under windows 7 but not on the surface pro, guessing because of W8.

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Fyi - downloaded new Simcity late last night - runs very smoothly on "default" settings...

Only negative is that the SP fans fire up after awhile and you hear a little constant hum - but very impressive overall... Played the game for about 2 hours without a single hiccup..

Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    So far, tried running:

Various Telltale Games fare.
    Portal 1 and 2.
    Everquest 2.

Everything runs, Everquest 2's default settings are pretty low, but that game is notorious for not running well on most modern computers. Max settings on that are for people with heavily-overclocked single cores. However the textures and animations are set pretty high. I don't expect to be setting it to cloth sim or shadows anytime soon.

Portal runs great with settings up. It'll initially set you low because steam doesn't recognize the video card, but feel free to turn 'em up and start jumping through portals.

The Telltale games run well on moderate resolution with settings up. Wacom is REALLY nice to have for those games, and now we have it portable.

I'll be trying Aion later. It seems to run well on many laptops at mid-range settings as long as multiple cores are present and is typically very efficient.

Also played SimCity on mostly low settings at 1080p. Ran perfect, but lagged at medium or high. Run at max on my desktop and really not much different since its just SimCity. runs great, used it only plugged in and heard fan for first time. Quieter than any other laptop I've had. really want to see battery life while gaming, but haven't had a chance
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    are you referring to the new SimCity?

where you able to install it on both computers with just one key?

So far I've ran minecraft on lowerish settings with no problem, Star Wars Battlefront 2 with high settings very well and The Force Unleashed which absolutely freaked out on my Surface. I'm going to take a crack at TF2, Rome Total War soon also but I'd imagine they'll work well. I might also install BF2 for laughs and Company of Heroes. In case anyone is wondering, yes, I love star wars.

I think the Surface Pro 2 will feature Haswell, maybe coming out March 2014.

I posted video of a couple of games on my YouTube channel: zs450's channel - YouTube
    I've also tried Battlefield F3- need to tweak settings a lot to make it playable, Mass Effect 3- same as BF3, and Need For Speed Most Wanted- Unplayable.
    I should get a couple more done this weekend.

Yes, new sim city. I did digital download and I installed on 2 pcs and able to switch from 1 to other. You have to login and it saves your city online so when switching pcs your city's are still there. You have to login to origin so they know what PC you're "online" on. also you need to install a special origin file for surface pro. If not is thinks you're on terminal services PC for whatever reason. the games great but ea is having server issues so its been a pain to get on

Also I needed to lower settings from all low at 1080p to 900x1600 all low so it is smooth. The touch screen is a pain, so I need a mouse. Ran for about 3 hours on battery with these settings. That includes 2 20min waits though, because of their server issues.

Mass Effect 1 plays at 1080p with graphics maxed.
    Portal 1 plays fine at 1080p with graphics maxed.
    Bioshock 1 plays fine at 1080p with graphics maxed.

Note that I'm deliberately trying only older games, which I know will not stress the graphics card too much.

Agree that it is awesome that Civ V has a windows 8 touch mode - I wish more games (like Red Alert 3) had this support.
    Chemilinski likes this.

Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bsd107 View Post
    Agree that it is awesome that Civ V has a windows 8 touch mode - I wish more games (like Red Alert 3) had this support.
    Tales of Monkey Island, I've always noticed, tends to work *better* with Wacom than with a mouse. It's not for windows 8 by any means, just a happy accident. (One I only found since I use a WACOM tablet at home and got curious since mouse controls in that game are pretty clumsy.)

I just posted a video of Black Ops II running smoother after changing the desktop resolution!

Easy fix that makes even more games playable. So far Black Ops II and Mass Effect 3 are looking good! I'll do more soon.

Let me know how Civ V works on the Surface Pro please. This is the only game I ever have time to play and was hoping it worked well on the surface pro.

Thanks,

Kip
    LocoKip
    Nokia 920 / USA / AT&T

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by locokip View Post
    Let me know how Civ V works on the Surface Pro please. This is the only game I ever have time to play and was hoping it worked well on the surface pro.

Thanks,

Kip
    It works great without any fuss...but you will only get about 2 hours on battery while playing it. It even has very functional touch controls!
    Thanked by:
    locokip likes this.

*** Posted this earlier in another thread, but reposting here just to collect our game summaries/settings in one thread ***

Skyrim was the first game I loaded on my Surface Pro. Runs quite well and still looks quite impressive on the small 1080p screen, with the following settings:

Set resolution to 720p and most settings to low (AA and AF off, Texture quality medium, Radial blur and Shadow detail to low, Water to reflect sky, under View Distance set grass fade to 1). Still looks surprisingly good, and plays pretty well on the Surface Pro (with a mouse).

I installed FIFA 13 and it runs smoothly, Crysis 2 will run on low setting but not in 1080. Turn the resolution down to 720 and its playable.

Global Posts
    2,357 Global Posts
    How are you guys finding the heat and fans when playing games like this?

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    How are you guys finding the heat and fans when playing games like this?
    Hot and loud, as would be expected.

But still half as much as any laptop on both counts.

Global Posts
    2,357 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beestee View Post
    Hot and loud, as would be expected.

But still half as much as any laptop on both counts.
    Thanks, with no one mentioning it I thought it was just me.

Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Tried Mabinogi today, which I suspect may use at least some OpenGL. The shadows trail. A pretty bizarre looking glitch, IMO.

Supposedly this video card is known for this glitch in several games, and does something similar in Mafia. Any idea of a fix/workaround?

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Tried Street Fighter IV this morning. You have to install the DirectX download from Microsoft before it'll run. Pretty unplayable full screen over 1024x768 but works fine in windowed mode. And if anyone still has a crush on Ulala from Space Channel 5 that game works great out of the Dreamcast collection.

Well first result on a YouTube search garners the answers to all your questions guys

I too am only interested in playing SimCity on a Surface once I get mine, and well I am not surprised that it has to be on low settings but I am pleased to see that it will atleast run it
    I do wonder if enabling that Intel 'boost' overclocking mode would do any significant difference to the quality the game could run at..
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast