Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By poots1101

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Hey everyone
    I'm a tech enthusiast who has been heavily invested in android, and I just jumped ship over to WP8. I'm really digging my 8X, and if any other android to wp8 converts are out there...let's talk about apps! While the WP store is still way behind android and iOS, i feel like i have the ones i need.....though turn by turn nav would be nice.

anyway, hopefully wp8 will be a success. loving it so far.
    Harmdizzle likes this.
    Hi poots1101, and welcome to WPCentral.

I'm glad you're liking your new 8X.

It appears that Nokia Drive will eventually become available for all WP8 devices. Nokia Drive+ Beta now available for Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone Central

WPCentral will definitely let everyone know when it's released.

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I converted from Android to WP8 as well! I am using the Lumia 920 and I love it! I have found apps for most of the things that I need, but one thing I have noticed about WP8 is that I haven't felt the need to download as many apps. It feels like the phone can already do most things that I want it to do.

I agree with you kaic. The phone has quite a lot of functionality built-in already.

Add me to the ranks of WP8 converts from Droid. While I miss the 3G Watchdog and Wifi Analyzer apps, the move has been a good one.

I spent 3 years on Droid and just switched me (and my wife) to HTC 8Xs and we've been loving it ever since. My non-technial wife even said she enjoys the new phone and 'gets it' faster and enjoys it more than our former Droids. I think something that helped us both a lot with the differences between the Droid/iPhone platforms was this snippet from a friend:

The biggest change for an iPhone user is going from app-based tasks to task-based tasks. This is the very simple premise of WP, and yet it’s really hard for iPhone users to wrap their heads around at first. Much like your father’s complaint about Contacts: he’s used to going into the Contacts app and editing information. Once they learn that you drill down from People, it starts to make a bit more sense to them (although the first complaints will be such things as, “This takes more ‘clicks’ to do the same thing!”). Example: My girlfriend used my WP to call her iPhone to find where it was in the house, and went to the Phone tile first, then mucked around until she found History and found her number, instead of calling herself from her Live Tile on the Start screen. And there’s another selling point: turn key Contacts into their own Live Tile.

Once contacts are set up, focus on “who” first, and then “what”. The iPhone is the other way around, and it takes a bit of time to change their thinking.
    With that in mind, the differences were more natural and made more sense. Welcome aboard!

I am a recovering Droid user also. There are a few Aps that I miss but they will eventually make it to windows. So far I love my 920. My battery issues disappeared and I've not had a reboot or lock up(which was a couple of times a week). This phone is turning me in to a social network guy now. Its so easy since it's built into the os.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts
    Welcome to WPC! IMO, WP has a lot of quality apps. There are a few that are still missing, but we'll get there.

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

Global Posts
    850 Global Posts
    Won't say I'm a convert. I like to mess around in both playgrounds. I did give up iPhone and plan to stick with my Note 2 and 920.
    Last edited by SteveISU; 12-03-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poots1101 View Post
    Hey everyone
    I'm a tech enthusiast who has been heavily invested in android, and I just jumped ship over to WP8. I'm really digging my 8X, and if any other android to wp8 converts are out there...let's talk about apps! While the WP store is still way behind android and iOS, i feel like i have the ones i need.....though turn by turn nav would be nice.
    anyway, hopefully wp8 will be a success. loving it so far.
    @poots1101. i'm a fellow former android user. new to WP8 as well. like you, I find the app store a bit lacking in content. as time goes on, I hope that it improves.
    turn by turn nav would be a nice thing to have, as I like to explore my local area and may need the guidance to return home if I get lost.
    WP8 has a way to go before it catches android and iOS. but it can happen if marketed right.
    ~gabriel

Did you find anything which could replace 3G Watchdog?
    I just went over my 1024mb monthly limit ??

Welcome! I'm sure you will find most of the apps that you want. Just remember, Windows Phone is not app-centric which is a wonderful thing. You get more "can do" out of the box. If you are going for apps then Nokia might have been a better choice but either way you have a great phone! Enjoy!
    14/55 Cell Phones

Welcome aboard ⚓ poots1101 great to have you here with us.
    Enjoy your new 8x