Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By cgk
  • 3 Post By cgk
  • 1 Post By paulm187
  1. boochrisboo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
       #1  
    Looking at Windows Phone 8 and I am definatelty thinking about cheating on the green robot and grabbing a Lumia 822 on verizon.
    I am hesistant being as vested as i am in google at this point. I dont use live or outlook and worried that my Google Calendar/ Gmail/ Google Tasks/ G+
    will become unuseable? Can someone shed some light on that?
    Also how do you set up a WP8 phone..for example on Android everything is tied to your gmail account. How is this accomplished on a WP8 phone.
    To all former android users how hard was the switch, was it worth it, or should i continue to be exclusive with the green robot?

    reasons i am thinking about switching, lack of hardware support after device is launched ( just to share my pain with you i am a HTC thunderbolt owner, tired of waiting for ICS so finally rooted and romed)
    Will WP8 be like iOS where all phone will recieve updates?
    More questions later
    BCB
  2. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,702 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,267 Global Posts
    #2  
    google calendar, gmail will work on Wp. G+ will likely have third party apps. and don't know what google task is


    and yes. Wp will get updates like IOS since they are know pushing from MS
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

    Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

    Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

    [IMG][/IMG]
  3. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,828 Global Posts
    #3  
    While they will not become unusable (except for tasks, which I think you can't pull in) - honestly, if you are as heavy into the google ecosystem as you are - I wouldn't switch to a windows phone - yes you can get your gmail but the experience is nothing like using the dedicated app on an android phone.
    aubreyq likes this.
  4. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,702 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,267 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    While they will not become unusable (except for tasks, which I think you can't pull in) - honestly, if you are as heavy into the google ecosystem as you are - I wouldn't switch to a windows phone - yes you can get your gmail but the experience is nothing like using the dedicated app on an android phone.
    dude he doesn't like it and hr doesn't like it when his phone is already out dated. So WP is a good choice for those who wants updates
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

    Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

    Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

    [IMG][/IMG]
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,828 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 12Danny123 View Post
    dude he doesn't like it and hr doesn't like it when his phone is already out dated. So WP is a good choice for those who wants updates
    Or a nexus depending on where you are living "dude" - yes, you get updates for the OS but when balanced against the lack of apps is that an actual advantage?

    We shouldn't be blindly recommending windows phone in the same way that we shouldn't be blindly recommending any OS.
  6. TrophyNostalgia's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    132 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by boochrisboo View Post
    Looking at Windows Phone 8 and I am definatelty thinking about cheating on the green robot and grabbing a Lumia 822 on verizon.
    I am hesistant being as vested as i am in google at this point. I dont use live or outlook and worried that my Google Calendar/ Gmail/ Google Tasks/ G+
    will become unuseable? Can someone shed some light on that?
    Also how do you set up a WP8 phone..for example on Android everything is tied to your gmail account. How is this accomplished on a WP8 phone.
    To all former android users how hard was the switch, was it worth it, or should i continue to be exclusive with the green robot?

    reasons i am thinking about switching, lack of hardware support after device is launched ( just to share my pain with you i am a HTC thunderbolt owner, tired of waiting for ICS so finally rooted and romed)
    Will WP8 be like iOS where all phone will recieve updates?
    More questions later
    BCB
    I personally rely heavily on multiple Gmail and Google Calendar accounts tied to my Windows Phone and I would say the experience has been completely smooth. I haven't had any problems. Now concerning Tasks and G+ there is no native integration that I am aware of for Windows Phone, however there may be some third party apps. (I personally don't use those). Windows Phone is well supported by Microsoft, they are even going to be doing Over the Air Updates with Windows Phone 8. How the account system works in Windows Phone is you create a Microsoft Account and everything is tied to that as your primary account, however if you are a Google User then you can add Google Accounts to be tied to your phone (as many accounts as you want too, if you have more than one Google Account). If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
  7. paulm187's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    273 Posts
    #7  
    Windows Phone works best in the Microsoft eco system and Android works best in Google's eco system. Ofcourse you can mix and match but the best experience would be within its own native eco system. For Windows Phone, Hotmail/outlook.com, Office and Facebook works better than Gmail, Google apps and G+
    aubreyq likes this.
  8. villa30's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #8  
    I switched from Android to WP. I like Google/Android and had been a google fanboy, but the device update issues, consistency and privacy were a load to bear.
    I still use gmail on my wp tho I got a Microsoft account and have slowly been migrating friends to that. I still use gdrive but also use skydrive, which is great.
    I use the windows/outlook calendar.
    Take it slow, and enjoy the wp
  9. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,235 Posts
    #9  
    Considering ICS currently doesn't have the month of December in it, do you really want to use your Google calendar?

    heh heh heh

    :giggle:
  10. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,245 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    Considering ICS currently doesn't have the month of December in it, do you really want to use your Google calendar?

    heh heh heh

    :giggle:
    Hahaha

Similar Threads

  1. I'm moving from android but I have a couple of questions
    By sirgigolo in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-27-2012, 03:12 PM
  2. New members!!! we love you but..
    By Se1fcr3ation in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-19-2012, 08:17 PM
  3. Love WP but may sway iPhone
    By jasqid in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-26-2011, 12:03 PM

Posting Permissions