Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Muero
  • 1 Post By ZombieBacchus
  • 1 Post By MannLou
  1. Maziar.a's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    55 Posts
       #1  
    Hey guys,my first post here ! :)
    Well,after playing with my mom's HTC Radar,I began to love the WP7 and I've decided to sell my iPhone 4 to get its bigger brother the Titan;however, I've got some questions hoping you guys can answer.

    First of all,does the lower ppi make any difference in non-web browsing tasks ? because when i put the radar side by side of my iPhone, it surprisingly showed better colors and only fell short when i was looking at a web page zoomed out which the pixels start showing up;however,that's not an issue for me,because even though the screen of iPhone doesn't show any jadgged edges, it was still unreadble when zoomed out. So just wanted to check whether Titan is pretty much the same ?

    Another thing is that iPhone doesn't have a gorilla display but I haven't had a single scratch on the display after 1 year of usage, so is the Titan's display as good ?

    And finally,how are you guys finding the battery life ? I was amazed by the Radar's battery,so I hope Titan's also great.

    thanks and sorry for the long message :D

    P.S,I would be glad to hear from those who recently switched from iOS to WP7 :)
    Last edited by Maziar.a; 11-29-2011 at 02:44 PM.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maziar.a View Post
    Hey guys,my first post here ! :)
    Well,after playing with my mom's HTC Radar,I began to love the WP7 and I've decided to sell my iPhone 4 to get its bigger brother the Titan;however, I've got some questions hoping you guys can answer.

    First of all,does the lower ppi make any difference in non-web browsing tasks ? because when i put the radar side by side of my iPhone, it surprisingly showed better colors and only fell short when i was looking at a web page zoomed out which the pixels start showing up;however,that's not an issue for me,because even though the screen of iPhone doesn't show any jadgged edges, it was still unreadble when zoomed out. So just wanted to check whether Titan is pretty much the same ?

    Another thing is that iPhone doesn't have a gorilla display but I haven't had a single scratch on the display after 1 year of usage, so is the Titan's display as good ?

    And finally,how are you guys finding the battery life ? I was amazed by the Radar's battery,so I hope Titan's also great.

    thanks and sorry for the long message :D

    P.S,I would be glad to hear from those who recently switched from iOS to WP7 :)
    I'm planning to do exactly the same as you, I'm ordering my Titan tomorrow and selling my iPhone 4. I have played with the Titan quite a bit, and the only place where the pixellation is noticeable is in the browser when fully zoomed out, and that is because of the text rendering, which for some reason has no anti-aliasing when fully zoomed out. In landscape though, the Titan owns the iPhone.

    The large text in WP7 really looks good on the Titan, and you have to look really close to make out pixels, and that is only on very small text, or the thin circle buttons in the app menus. Like you, I haven't got a single scratch on my iPhone, but I'm getting a screen protector for the Titan, just because of the amount of glass on it.
  3. SolunaKitty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    267 Posts
    #3  
    I don't have the phone yet, but I can quote some reviews.

    Display:

    "The Titan's WVGA resolution equates to just 198 pixels per inch. No matter how much HTC tries to gloss over this issue, the fact remains that those pixels are visible on text and vector graphics (although not so much on photos), and they do nothing to add to the otherwise delightful aesthetics of the OS. Zooming out on a webpage quickly causes the text to become blocky and unreadable, which partially cancels out the large panel's ability to display vast swathes of a page in one go.

    ... it's a higher quality panel than the one used in some HTC handsets like the Sensation and Trophy. Whereas those handsets would look slightly washed out when viewed at anything than head-on, the Titan's brightness and color rendition remains consistent even from extreme angles. At the optimum angle, the blacks look deep, the colors look rich and saturated in keeping with the WP style, and photos and video come across absolutely fine. It's not Super AMOLED, but should satisfy the majority of users."

    -Engaget

    "The Titan's screen quality definitely will hold its own up against the Super AMOLED screens and is of better quality than the Super LCD screen of the HD7S. There seems to be a touch more contrast, brightness and color saturation with the Titan's screen when compared to other HTC Windows Phones which helps the Titan's performance indoors and outdoors."

    -WPCentral

    (In addition, I think many people here compare the Titan's and the Focus S' displays, so you can read plenty about their impressions. I believe I read that the Titan did not have gorilla glass either; you can read about it here.)

    Battery Life:

    "We put it to use all day and the 1,600mAh battery still had plenty left in reserve by the time we hit the sack. In fact, one day we forgot to plug it in for an overnight charge so we left the house with battery already at 60 percent and yet we still made it to bedtime with room to spare. We'd stop just shy of claiming two full days of low-to-moderate use -- it's more like a day and a half. "

    -Engaget

    "The battery easily lasts a full day under moderate to heavy use. I'm ending an average day with approximately 40% of battery life remaining."

    -WPCentral

    Engaget: HTC Titan review -- Engadget
    WPCentral: ATT HTC Titan review

    I know I've read reviews about people not noticing pixelation unless they were specifically zooming and looking for it, but I don't remember where I read that.
  4. Muero's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    #4  
    Neither the Titan nor the iPhone 4 have Corning Gorilla Glass, but both use treated glass that is similar in function, just without the Corning brand name.

    I've had the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 4. The Titan gets very good battery life even when compared to iPhones, which is impressive, considering how iPhones blow Android phones out of the water on battery life. And as someone used to the Retina Display, I can pretty much promise you the pixel density issue, well, isn't an issue. Yeah higher pixel density is always better, but it's honestly not something I ever think about when using the Titan.

    Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express
    MannLou likes this.
  5. Maziar.a's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    55 Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by SolunaKitty View Post
    I don't have the phone yet, but I can quote some reviews.

    Display:

    "The Titan's WVGA resolution equates to just 198 pixels per inch. No matter how much HTC tries to gloss over this issue, the fact remains that those pixels are visible on text and vector graphics (although not so much on photos), and they do nothing to add to the otherwise delightful aesthetics of the OS. Zooming out on a webpage quickly causes the text to become blocky and unreadable, which partially cancels out the large panel's ability to display vast swathes of a page in one go.

    ... it's a higher quality panel than the one used in some HTC handsets like the Sensation and Trophy. Whereas those handsets would look slightly washed out when viewed at anything than head-on, the Titan's brightness and color rendition remains consistent even from extreme angles. At the optimum angle, the blacks look deep, the colors look rich and saturated in keeping with the WP style, and photos and video come across absolutely fine. It's not Super AMOLED, but should satisfy the majority of users."

    -Engaget

    "The Titan's screen quality definitely will hold its own up against the Super AMOLED screens and is of better quality than the Super LCD screen of the HD7S. There seems to be a touch more contrast, brightness and color saturation with the Titan's screen when compared to other HTC Windows Phones which helps the Titan's performance indoors and outdoors."

    -WPCentral

    (In addition, I think many people here compare the Titan's and the Focus S' displays, so you can read plenty about their impressions. I believe I read that the Titan did not have gorilla glass either; you can read about it here.)

    Battery Life:

    "We put it to use all day and the 1,600mAh battery still had plenty left in reserve by the time we hit the sack. In fact, one day we forgot to plug it in for an overnight charge so we left the house with battery already at 60 percent and yet we still made it to bedtime with room to spare. We'd stop just shy of claiming two full days of low-to-moderate use -- it's more like a day and a half. "

    -Engaget

    "The battery easily lasts a full day under moderate to heavy use. I'm ending an average day with approximately 40% of battery life remaining."

    -WPCentral

    Engaget: HTC Titan review -- Engadget
    WPCentral: ATT HTC Titan review

    I know I've read reviews about people not noticing pixelation unless they were specifically zooming and looking for it, but I don't remember where I read that.
    Thanks for the links :) I actually have read a lot of reviews and watched some video reviews,but I wanted to ask from the owners.
    Well,as I said I played HTC Radar and also the iPad(which has a much bigger display than iPhone with a notably lower ppi),I didn't have any issues at all.I mean I can't read the screen when zoomed out(on the Radar mostly),and when I zoom in,I barely notice any difference between the Radar,iPad and iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by Muero_ View Post
    Neither the Titan nor the iPhone 4 have Corning Gorilla Glass, but both use treated glass that is similar in function, just without the Corning brand name.

    I've had the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 4. The Titan gets very good battery life even when compared to iPhones, which is impressive, considering how iPhones blow Android phones out of the water on battery life. And as someone used to the Retina Display, I can pretty much promise you the pixel density issue, well, isn't an issue. Yeah higher pixel density is always better, but it's honestly not something I ever think about when using the Titan.

    Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express
    Thanks ! :)

    Oh and BTW,do either of you guys experience any ghosting on the screen ?
  6. jeremyshaw's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    602 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #6  
    If you had a iPhone 3GS before your iPhone 4, then the Titan is roughly... (in terms of PPI) following: 3GS---->Titan->Focus S (for reference)----------------->iPhone4/S.

    However, IMO, the larger panel and decent resolution overcome the difference, as 329 PPI (apple strangely reports it as 326, though!) of the iPhone 4/S(touch 4g, too) is still only on a 3.5" display, that information, even if presented at Retina clarity, is still presented on a small display.
  7. s0uldrift3r's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    #7  
    Im coming from an iphone 4, i haven't noticed the ghosting, i will be checking on battery life tho! one thing i noticed is this phone charges FAST, i would say as fast as my iP4 with using an ipad charger (which make the iP4 charge FAST)

    Just got it today so i will post my thought in a couple of days!!
  8. Loxias's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by s0uldrift3r View Post
    Im coming from an iphone 4, i haven't noticed the ghosting, i will be checking on battery life tho! one thing i noticed is this phone charges FAST, i would say as fast as my iP4 with using an ipad charger (which make the iP4 charge FAST)

    Just got it today so i will post my thought in a couple of days!!
    That's good to hear because my wife's Focus takes FOREVER to charge. She's on it quite a bit and it usually lasts most of the day but she has to charge overnight to get a full charge.
  9. #9  
    Check out MobieChick on Twitter. She confirmed with HTC that the Titan does have gorilla glass. I don't know her personally but her bio says she is att sponsored and she seems legit. She gives away phones a lot too!

    MobieChick (@MobieChick)
    11/28/11 12:58 PM
    @Bacchus1313 HTC has confirmed again that the device has gorilla glass :)
    jenashley likes this.
  10. leonbelize's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maziar.a View Post
    Hey guys,my first post here ! :)
    Well,after playing with my mom's HTC Radar,I began to love the WP7 and I've decided to sell my iPhone 4 to get its bigger brother the Titan;however, I've got some questions hoping you guys can answer.

    First of all,does the lower ppi make any difference in non-web browsing tasks ? because when i put the radar side by side of my iPhone, it surprisingly showed better colors and only fell short when i was looking at a web page zoomed out which the pixels start showing up;however,that's not an issue for me,because even though the screen of iPhone doesn't show any jadgged edges, it was still unreadble when zoomed out. So just wanted to check whether Titan is pretty much the same ?

    Another thing is that iPhone doesn't have a gorilla display but I haven't had a single scratch on the display after 1 year of usage, so is the Titan's display as good ?

    And finally,how are you guys finding the battery life ? I was amazed by the Radar's battery,so I hope Titan's also great.

    thanks and sorry for the long message :D

    P.S,I would be glad to hear from those who recently switched from iOS to WP7 :)
    I switched from iOS to WP7. In fact i passed on a Iphone 4S. So happy i did. I cant stand looking at those icons anymore. Anyway I have a titan and last night i dropped in the parking garage on concrete from about 4ft up. My wife was shocked when my back cover flew off and thats about it for damage. I popped the cover back on and back to action. She was sitting on a bench one time and dropped her iphone 4 from about 2-3ft and the entire back glass shattered. I dont know the exact materials this phone uses, but you're good :)
  11. jenashley's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    140 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by leon belize View Post
    I switched from iOS to WP7. In fact i passed on a Iphone 4S. So happy i did. I cant stand looking at those icons anymore. Anyway I have a titan and last night i dropped in the parking garage on concrete from about 4ft up. My wife was shocked when my back cover flew off and thats about it for damage. I popped the cover back on and back to action. She was sitting on a bench one time and dropped her iphone 4 from about 2-3ft and the entire back glass shattered. I dont know the exact materials this phone uses, but you're good :)
    So there were no scratches from the fall? Awesome to hear. :)
  12. Budroid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #12  
    I upgraded from the iPhone 3G to the Focus S on its release date and just this past Saturday swapped the Focus for the Titan. I spent a LOT of time looking over my options (iPhone 4s, Android, WP7) and I love WP7 and the Titan. I spent some time playing with the iPhone before swapping from the Focus to the Titan and it felt like a step backwards after using Mango for a few weeks.

    The lower PPI is not an issue at all to me on the Titan and I've not noticed ghosting. My main complaints are that I can't find a holster big enough and that the signal reception is a bit weaker with the Titan (compared to an iPhone).

    Other small issues for me are a few missing apps (LogMeIn, networking tools, mint.com) and some Google calendar quirks but I have most everything I need working. And the email client on Mango is incredible.

    Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express
  13. Maziar.a's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    55 Posts
       #13  
    Thanks guys ! :) I'm gonna order it soon :D
  14. MannLou's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    #14  
    I echo what many have said here and as a former iPhone user of all of the versions except the 4s I can say that the screen on the Titan is excellent and the pixel issue is indeed a non-issue. My wife, who has my old iPhone 4 loves the Titan's screen and keep looking at her phone and says Apple better make a bigger screen soon or she's moving to the Titan herself.

    Battery Life has been great so far. I've had the Titan for a few days now and I'm a heavy user because of work with my off-shore team. My day ends with about 20-30% left and that's on a good 12-14 our day. The obvious "battery drainers" aside (downloading video or many podcasts etc.) it's been fine.
    power5 likes this.
  15. Maziar.a's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    55 Posts
       #15  
    Thanks! It's always nice to hear this kinds of impressions :D
  16. BADASH_MOMO's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    #16  
    Welcome to WP club ;)

    Titan is great. You won't regret.

Posting Permissions