Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I am looking to get rid of my iphone 4 and hop onto the wp7 train, since I think it is a good time to switch, and have wanted a windows phone ever since it launched.

    Since I live in the UK, The Focus S (the device I wanted) will not be released here, so the devices I am considering are the Titan and the new Lumia 800. The lumia is 440, and the Titan is 450. Now, the problem for me is that each device has its cons, the Titan has the lower quality slcd and the bad pixel density, and the lumia has the fairly small 3.7'' screen. The lack of a ffc doesn't bother me as I never used it once on my iphone.

    So I am asking, what device would you choose, and is the pixel density and lower quality screen noticeable on the titan? Or, should I stick with the iphone and wait and see what next year brings?
    CommanderElvis likes this.
  2. TheWeeBear's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    #2  

    You are in the same dilema as me littlesteelo16. I like the Titan for the larger screen but some users say they can see the 'Stretched' look of the user interface and some say it's fine.

    Like yourself i would never use a front facing camera, I guess you really would have to try both phones in the flesh to see how they felt for you.

    I've seen the titan and it looks fine not too big as you might think but I not seen the Lumia yet but going by reports the screen is excellent and on par with Samsung's Super Amoled.

    Decisions, Decisions. Sigh. :)

    Oh and welcome along to WPC. :)

    .........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK
    CommanderElvis likes this.
  3.    #3  
    I'm thinking of popping into a phones4u store this weekend, seeing as they have both the titan and the lumia to play around with. I'll probably decide then. If the titan had a 4.3'' screen it would be an instant buy for me.
  4. TheWeeBear's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by littlesteelo16 View Post
    I'm thinking of popping into a phones4u store this weekend, seeing as they have both the titan and the lumia to play around with. I'll probably decide then. If the titan had a 4.3'' screen it would be an instant buy for me.
    You'll be surprised I think littlesteelo16 how it looks. (Not as big looking as you expect it to be) But to be honest i think the quality will be better on the Nokia's 3.7 display.

    Please pop back in and let us know what you think of them after visiting phones4u.

    I'd love to hear your opinion to help me decide too. Must try and have a lookie next week too. :)

    .........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK
  5.    #5  
    Sorry for the delay, went to have a look at the Titan and Lumia 800 today. Starting with the Titan:

    First thing I noticed was that it didn't feel too big. I wouldn't have any trouble using this, and I have small hands. Regarding the screen, the brightness and colours are fantastic, and the blacks are very good. Now about the resolution/pixel density. Everything seems to have a slight fuzziness to it, especially noticeable with small text in the browser. This however doesn't bother me. What did however was how atrocious games looked on the stretched resolution. With the 2d tiles, this wasn't noticeable, but with 3d games, it was very pixelated.
    Now the Lumia:
    Obviously it had a smaller screen, but it definitely was more comfortable to hold. The design is beautiful, but what really stands out is that screen. Everything is pin sharp, the colours are rich, and the blacks were so deep you can't tell when the screen ends. After a few minutes of using both, the Lumias screen really looks so much better than the Titans. Also the AMOLED on the Lumia will probably save battery life with the black wp7 theme.

    Definitely going to get the Lumia now. I have never used wp7 myself, and really am blown away by how blazingly fast it was. That combined with the Nokia hardware seals it for me.
  6. TheWeeBear's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    #6  
    Oh you've put me off the Titan once again with your fuzziness and stretched comments. LOL

    I am going to go try it Monday for definate so i can see for myself.

    Thanks for sharing your opinions littlesteelo16. :)

    .........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK
  7.    #7  
    Just been reading about the pentile display on the Lumia 800, and have to say I did notice a slight 'sawtooth' effect on straight lines. I may need to another look to fully make my decision. If only samsung would release that damn focus s in the uk!
  8. TheWeeBear's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by littlesteelo16 View Post
    If only samsung would release that damn focus s in the uk!
    Tell me about it! :(

    .........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK
  9. Dr.Phil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by littlesteelo16 View Post
    Ok, I am looking to get rid of my iphone 4 and hop onto the wp7 train, since I think it is a good time to switch, and have wanted a windows phone ever since it launched.

    Since I live in the UK, The Focus S (the device I wanted) will not be released here, so the devices I am considering are the Titan and the new Lumia 800. The lumia is 440, and the Titan is 450. Now, the problem for me is that each device has its cons, the Titan has the lower quality slcd and the bad pixel density, and the lumia has the fairly small 3.7'' screen. The lack of a ffc doesn't bother me as I never used it once on my iphone.

    So I am asking, what device would you choose, and is the pixel density and lower quality screen noticeable on the titan? Or, should I stick with the iphone and wait and see what next year brings?
    If you are a patient person, which I am the most impatient person I think (I have to force myself to wait for phones that are about to come out. It's like when you were a kid and Pokemon was the thing and you had to collect all the cards. Well, that's me, I have to collect every new phone there is for some reason...although no money to really do that :( ) I would wait until CES in January. Then, if you don't see any phones you want there I would read up on some Titan and Lumia Reviews, maybe get a personal hands-on for yourself (you will always be the ultimate judge of whether a phone is good or not), and then choose which phone.
  10. SJamG's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    48 Posts
    #10  
    I'm also jumping ship from my iPhone 4 to a WP7 device. The time is right to try something different!

    I also went into Phones4u and played around with the Lumia, couldn't really hold it, but from what I played with in WP7 - it all looked stunning! I didn't really notice any blurring, the display is incredible.

    I've never been a fan of HTCs build quality as I've had big problems with them in the past (went through 6 Desires in 4 months!) - I really like the uni/mono body design.

    Onward to the Lumia 800! :)


    ---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.688943,-4.856661
    Check out my iPhone 4 to Lumia 800 migration on my blog : http://sjamg.tumblr.com
  11. aximtreo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by wp7pwns View Post
    If you are a patient person, which I am the most impatient person I think (I have to force myself to wait for phones that are about to come out. It's like when you were a kid and Pokemon was the thing and you had to collect all the cards. Well, that's me, I have to collect every new phone there is for some reason...although no money to really do that :( ) I would wait until CES in January. Then, if you don't see any phones you want there I would read up on some Titan and Lumia Reviews, maybe get a personal hands-on for yourself (you will always be the ultimate judge of whether a phone is good or not), and then choose which phone.


    When is CES. Feb I think; good idea to wait till then. My Trophy will definitely be good enough till then. Maybe Verizon will have their plans public by then.;)
  12. Dr.Phil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by aximtreo View Post
    When is CES. Feb I think; good idea to wait till then. My Trophy will definitely be good enough till then. Maybe Verizon will have their plans public by then.;)
    Nope, January 10-13th I believe. Ah, the time of the year where everyone who got a new phone for Christmas cringe when they see the newer offerings...
  13. baseballbert's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,532 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,788 Global Posts
    #13  
    So, you fellas (im guessing!) would get the Focus S over the Lumia? What's the biggest factor as to why? I live in the States, and have been trying to decide between waiting and Focus S.

    I've been an iPhone refugee for three months and it was a great decision! You will like this neighborhood!

    Mangos taste better than apples!
    Make with the WP purchase already one time why dontcha for pete's sake. Honestly.....
  14. Dr.Phil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballbert View Post
    So, you fellas (im guessing!) would get the Focus S over the Lumia? What's the biggest factor as to why? I live in the States, and have been trying to decide between waiting and Focus S.

    I've been an iPhone refugee for three months and it was a great decision! You will like this neighborhood!

    Mangos taste better than apples!
    I guess the better question is what do YOU find better about the Lumia? I honestly think the Focus S looks better than the Lumia, plus the bigger and better screen technology is always a plus. The Lumia just reminds me of an old iPod nano...just larger.
  15. CommanderElvis's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by wp7pwns View Post
    If you are a patient person, which I am the most impatient person I think (I have to force myself to wait for phones that are about to come out. It's like when you were a kid and Pokemon was the thing and you had to collect all the cards. Well, that's me, I have to collect every new phone there is for some reason...although no money to really do that :( ) I would wait until CES in January. Then, if you don't see any phones you want there I would read up on some Titan and Lumia Reviews, maybe get a personal hands-on for yourself (you will always be the ultimate judge of whether a phone is good or not), and then choose which phone.
    Wait????? WAIT?????

    HERETIC!

    Waiting to see both hands on ASAP. Need to add Mangos back into my diet. Berries are starting to turn.
  16. Big Supes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,698 Posts
    #16  
    This thread deserves a poll. :)
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
  17. TheWeeBear's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    #17  


    I like the Nokia Lumia 800, but then again, I like the HTC Titan, but which is best?

    There's only one way to find out! FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT! :)

    Do you think our American friends will get that Big Supes ? I think not. ;)
    Last edited by TheWeeBear; 11-05-2011 at 04:01 PM.

    .........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK
  18. Big Supes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,698 Posts
    #18  
    ^ HA! They really should... you can't go wrong with a bit of Harry Hill. :D
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
  19. TheWeeBear's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    #19  
    Indeed you can not Big Supes. :)

    .........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK
  20. Big Supes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,698 Posts
    #20  
    In the recent WP Central review of the Titan, I wonder if this what they meant by "if you're on a subway or in a metro region, you will get some head turns and stares when you pull it out"...



    :D
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
  21. TheWeeBear's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    #21  
    LOL That is so ScotRail every day.

    Was that a prototype of the new Nokia Ace he had ? :)

    That's my mind made up now, no phone until that arrives. ;)

    .........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK
    Big Supes likes this.
  22. Dr.Phil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Elvis View Post
    Wait????? WAIT?????

    HERETIC!

    Waiting to see both hands on ASAP. Need to add Mangos back into my diet. Berries are starting to turn.
    Wait, how am I a heretic?
  23. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,207 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    #23  
    Tired of small screens. I will be getting a Titan no matter what. Unless I pick it up and the diagonals are like NES games which I really really doubt.

    Better question. How is macro on the wp7 cameras? Was playing with my brothers 4S today. I was able to zoom in on a restaurant receipt and see the dot matrix of the printer. Seriously. Taking a picture of a number the size of the page number on this site was able to make it about 1.5" tall on the screen. Holding the phone about 3" away.
  24. boss.king's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    223 Posts
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    Tired of small screens. I will be getting a Titan no matter what. Unless I pick it up and the diagonals are like NES games which I really really doubt.
    The pixel density on the Titan is higher than the 3GS, so it should be fine.
  25. CommanderElvis's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by wp7pwns View Post
    Wait, how am I a heretic?
    Suggesting waiting until February? Unpossible. We of the Holy Church of the Instant Gratification already have acolytes spread out throughout Toronto bribing our way into getting the first ones out in the wild.(Breathe) By Release +3, they're already old news.

    Of course you realize we have no life.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions