Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus Phreak View Post
    It was about 6 update cycles I believe. The 78er tool crashed after each update...which is no big deal, you just open it up again and keep going.

The 78er tool acts very similar to how Zune pulls updates and puts them on so it doesn't wipe the device at all. Everything was still there and working just fine.

7.8 does indeed fix the keyboard issue as that was actually an OS issue and not a device specific issue...actually any update post 7720/7740 had that issue solved so, it's good news all around.

I have a feeling most of the folks that end up with issues either tried to install additional unnecessary items, or forgot to add the 0409 language pack for each update cycle.
    So you just pick the English US pack only correct. You mention 0409 is that the English US pack or is it actually called 0409? How long did it take for your update to finish?
    Banned

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    So you just pick the English US pack only correct. You mention 0409 is that the English US pack or is it actually called 0409? How long did it take for your update to finish?
    Sorry, 0409 is the code number for the EN/US (US English) pack. That's the only one you want to select...and you want to do it for each update.

Each one of the update cycles took a few minutes. I think it was about a half hour total, maybe a little longer to get all the way up to WP 7.8.
    Banned

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UnhappySprint View Post
    I see the 6 steps listed by dlchome. However where do I download the files from for each step?

I have an HTC Arrive phone.

Just use the 78er tool :)

Want Windows Phone 7.8 now? Try this easy tool (Update: Now supports 7720) - Windows Phone Hacker

As I mentioned earlier...just make sure to choose the US English language pack for each and every update.

I used the 7.8er tool last night on my Arrive and it worked great. So far, no problems with my phone.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David Eberbach View Post
    I used the 7.8er tool last night on my Arrive and it worked great. So far, no problems with my phone.
    Did it keep all your settings like email so forth are did you half to reconfigure everything? Did it take very long??

Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    Did it keep all your settings like email so forth are did you half to reconfigure everything? Did it take very long??
    Everything remained for me. Outlook, and my several other e-mail acc'ts, all of my tiles stayed as they were as well. Phone, messaging and ap updates have all worked as normal today. All I have done today was to resize tiles and changed the theme color. Can't say for sure how long the update took. I watched the first few updated which cycled the phone on and off each time, then I went to bed and let it run. All was golden in the morning. The first several took about 15-20 minutes, so maybe 30-40 minutes total.
    Last edited by David Eberbach; 02-08-2013 at 12:06 AM.

I updated 2 Arrives today. Both went perfectly.
    Everything appears to be working fine. Compass is still broken. but it's expected now on the 1st gen phones.
    Small Tiles are fantastic. The phone over all is much more responsive.
    The new colors are great. Lots of nice additions, such as, can now add multiple attachments to messages.
    I used Seven-Eighter to do it. I really tried the force method of update from Zune and kill inet, but this didn't work, so,,,,
    If this messes up ability to get further updates I figure, you know, they didn't push any previous updates and I had to force Mango using the Zune Trick
    so what the heck, might as well. Will be getting a WP8 around the end of the year anyway. I still like WP7.8 and WP8 along with Win8 and soon possibly Surface Pro.
    But MS needs to bypass the carriers and push out these updates to everyone. The carriers don't care about Windows Phones yet, but they will.

Keep the following in mind.....

I ran this update on my Desktop running Windows 8 64bit
    I updated both phones from Mango 7.5 (7720)

When you start, I do believe you need Zune 4.7, I downloaded 4.8 and installed on my laptop (Win8 64bit also) and the 78er app gave me issues about not finding a Zune file.
    So i decided to try it on my desktop and it prompted to download some dev tools. I said yes, installed them and continued...
    After the dev tools install,, quit and restart 78er.

Select English, it's the first one you find in the list, don't just highlight it, you have to make sure there is a check in the box.
    I was only asked once. If you are asked more than once, make sure you do what I suggested each time. As has been suggested through out this thread

What I did, turned on Airplane Mode
    Set the phone to never sleep or lock, and disabled the password
    Set your PC to not sleep at all, just in case for whatever reason the PC tries to sleep, this could cause the updates to fail and possibly brick your phone
    Play it safe and set it up to not sleep or anything.

MOST importantly, LEAVE THE PC ALONE, don't touch it, close whatever apps you may have running before you start the update
    Don't surf, don't do anything else on the system, just leave it alone and just watch for any prompts as needed.
    Let it complete, don't get impatient, it will tell you when it is done, can't miss that part.
    don't worry about how long things might take, could be longer than others are saying
    Let the app do it's thing, you will be glad you did.

If you did all of this, chances are you will have a smooth update. Enjoy.

Thanks to jaxbot for the app.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Used the 7.8er tool once I got back from school, it went fairly quick and had no problems.

Thanks!

edit: I don't currently use my arrive as my phone, it's a MP3/office device now. Don't know if that had anything to do with how fast this was done.

78er worked for me too. Arrive running great with 7.8 :)

See HTC, was that so hard?

Phone is quicker and I love being able to use the small tiles, lets me have xbox, zune, phone, IE, SMS, weather, calendar, personal email, business email 1, business email 2, and school email all without scrolling. It's awesome. I love this phone and don't want to give it up for a non-QWERTY phone just yet. Even though I did see a purple HTC 8X and really want it lol. Too bad it's not on Sprint!
    Last edited by kylej1050; 02-22-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WPhoner View Post
    I downloaded the tool, and ran it for about 30 minutes while doing other things. When I came back, 7.8 was installed - thanks!
    I previously tried to do the manual CAB install which failed because I didn't have the full set of updates to work with - I went with what the Windows site stated which wasn't the full sequence of upgrades I needed. Annihilatorg's post seems to have the full list of updates required, but using the tool was so much easier.

Fantastic tools! It took about 30 mins just now, but already loving the big tiles!

Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I forced my parent's radar and Lumia 710 to 7.8. Worked fine. Just force it with Windowsphonehackers tool.
    ATMOSPHERE WEATHER
    Atmosphere is an advanced weather app with a beautiful and user friendly interface. It uses advanced graphs and typography to make the forecast readable and detailed, yet beautiful to look at and use.

SUPPORT/DEVELOPMENT THREAD
    Support thread at WPCentral
    DOWNLOAD NOW
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...6-3e5b977a2aec
    FOLLOW ATMOSPHERE ON TWITTER
    https://twitter.com/AtmoWeather

Sooo is anyone else having sever lag issues when your phone is connected to wifi while on the charger after the forced 7.8 update?

yeah mine would laG really bad on wifi but after the two minor updates it works fine now

I've also noticed that sometimes when i turn the wifi on it doesn't connect so i have to turn it off and back on again. Other times even when i have the wifi turned on it still uses my data connection so i have to restart the phone to make it connect to wifi

seven-eighter works great I hope they have an eight-eighter some day.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123