Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

there's a link on the front page and some people talking about how to update the Arrive. I just did it and it worked fine. If you are still on official update, you need several steps, to update the phone to 8107, then 8773, then 8783, then to 8858. You can find all the links to the update files, you only need the 0409 language. don't add any other language.
    xda-developers - View Single Post - [CAB] Official WP7 Updates List up to WP 7.8 + ALL LANGUAGES complete + OEM updates here's the link to the 8783 and 8858 cab files.

wait you had to update to tango? and what did you use?

I've decided to run the manual update collection since this update (7.8) was the only reason I didn't already move to another carrier to get a windows 8 phone.

So.. for the arrive on sprint it looks like there are 7 update steps.

The most updated build from HTC on sprint is 7720, Here's the update chain
    7720 -> 7740
    7740 -> 8107
    8107 -> 8112
    8112 -> 8773 (tango)
    8773 -> 8779
    8779 -> 8783
    8783 -> 8858 (Windows Phone 7.8)

I've just completed tango and am downloading the next collection of updates now:
    8779 ->
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/ms...ff3e6b0869.cab
    Languages:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/ms...e1082fad57.cab

8783 ->
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/ms...7e0918021f.cab

8858->
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/ms...6753d0ffce.cab
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/ms...e9257d1162.cab
    Languages:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/ms...846ca71e36.cab
    Thanked by:
    cabbonizio likes this.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by annihilatorg View Post
    I've decided to run the manual update collection since this update (7.8) was the only reason I didn't already move to another carrier to get a windows 8 phone.

So.. for the arrive on sprint it looks like there are 7 update steps.

The most updated build from HTC on sprint is 7720, Here's the update chain
    7720 -> 7740
    7740 -> 8107
    8107 -> 8112
    8112 -> 8773 (tango)
    8773 -> 8779
    8779 -> 8783
    8783 -> 8858 (Windows Phone 7.8)

I've just completed tango and am downloading the next collection of updates now:
    8779 ->
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/ms...ff3e6b0869.cab
    Languages:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/ms...e1082fad57.cab

8783 ->
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/ms...7e0918021f.cab

8858->
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/ms...6753d0ffce.cab
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/ms...e9257d1162.cab
    Languages:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/ms...846ca71e36.cab
    This is exactly what I had to do yesterday in order to get to the 7.8 update. It was a slightly challenging, but once I fiigured out the sequence it was very simple after that. Hopefully this documentation you wrote will help others to get their Arrive's up to 7.8. You also have to get the OS/lang CAB files for 7740, 8107, 8112, and 8773 but hopefully people will not have an issue finding these.

help be out a little what langs did you use for the first set of updates and what program did you use?

cant find cabs for 7740

i ****ing did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soooooo happy right now :)

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Only complaint thus far is that my battery life has taken a bit of a hit. Probably because I'm playing with the phone more right now. :)

Hopefully one will come for the HD7. Eventually.
    Current Devices:
    Windows Phone (Current) : Nokia Lumia 920
    Firmware:Windows Phone 8
    ROM:Stock
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows Phone (Retired) : HTC HD7
    Firmware: Windows Phone 7.8
    ROM: Dynamics 2.0
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Android Tablet: Nexus 7 WiFi 32GB
    Firmware: Jelly Bean 4.2.2
    ROM: Cyanogenmod

only 3 Steps to Windows 7.8 worked for me!
    Thanked by:

I just did this for my Sprint HTC Arrive phone! Took 6 steps. As stated before you only need the 409 language packs if you are in the US.

1) 7720-8107 update - 3 files consisting of 2 code updates and 1 language pack
    2) 8112 update - 2 code updates 1 language pack
    CAB and Language pack links found here for 8112 and 8773
    xda-developers - View Single Post - [CAB] Official WP7 Updates List up to WP 7.8 + ALL LANGUAGES complete + OEM updates
    3) 8773 update - 2 code updates 1 language pack
    4) 8779 update - Links for 8779 to 8858 are posted above - 1 code update 1 lang pack
    5) 8783 update - 1 code update
    6) 8858 update - 2 code updates 1 language pack and that is it for WP 7.8 :-)

yestarday i tried to update my htc trophy from the unofficial foroum that i found here into windows 7.8. once download the update an erron message occur to my device (80180048). i check my phone immediately i understood that something wrong happened because some apps as wifi connection, marketplace and setting was anymore able to open . my first choice was to open my account from the web page to reset my mobile to try to have it back as factory settings. i did the reset to the manufactury but the problem still exist. now i cant even connect to my account because the wifi settings are unvailable, as the marketplace.
    what can i do now to have my mobile back?

Quote Originally Posted by Ant22 View Post
    only 3 Steps to Windows 7.8 worked for me!
    This worked like a charm for me! Took about an hour, but worth it if Sprint is going to be an a-hole about it.
    Thanked by:

It was real easy for me to. It took me a while cuz I only selected English but once I selected em all it took like 15 mins. Thanks evantkraus6 and Ant22

just forced an HTC Surround using a link I found in an article here on WPcentral.

Want Windows Phone 7.8 now? Try this easy tool (Update: Now supports 7720) - Windows Phone Hacker

- I started the tool.
    - it complained that I didnt have "Developer tools" loaded. BUT it offered to Dload them for me! (I said yes then closed the tool)
    - I installed the developer tools that were just dloaded and then restarted the main tool
    - a window asking what language packs to install came up -- I confirmed by going to "SETTING -> KEYBOARD" (on the phone) that here in canada, ALL packs are needed --
    - I selected all of the checkboxes in the tool.
    - I hit the "install WP7.8" button and away it went!

The install takes about 20mins, but it is completely automated.

*NOTE: at one point it kinda looked like it was done.. but it wasnt, make sure you get the alert that "YOUR UPGRADE WAS SUCCESSFUL" before disconnecting your phone like I ALMOST did!

Shout out to Windows Phone Hacker for creating such a great app. Its absolutely flawless!
    Thanked by:
    I am updating my Arrive with this as we speak. Thanks guys. I 'll post any problems encountered.

Thanks

-Doc

Update: Finished the full install on my Arrive, couple of things. When I go into settings, if I click on email and accounts or WiFi and a few others, those settings categories will not open. Could be frustrating if I was actually using this phone, but definetely noteworthy for anyone utilizing this method. The additional colors don't seem to be there either. If anyone has any knowledge here let me know.

EDIT: Cannot get in to messaging, adding email accounts. Phone, and many others. This thing is done for now. I can't even get in to do a hard reset on the phone.
    Last edited by Dr. Impossible; 02-04-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    Actual location: Inside the system itself.

Vaporwaremagpolydilithium- What Surface is actually made of.
    Banned

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Why not do a hard reset via the button combo for the Arrive to see if that fixes it? BTW I did mine via the tool WPHacker released and it worked smoothly on my Arrive. Might want to see if you can somehow rollback to a vanilla build and then update using that tool if possible.

Steps for a hard reset on HTC Arrive: HTC Arrive hard reset - PDA Smartphone PNA hard reset soft reset

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    So, reading this thread over, there are plenty o'folks who are saying how easy it is to install 7.8, and a few who say not so easy, had some trouble, whatever. What I really want to ready about are people's experiences with 7.8 on the Arrive after installation. Any glaring bugs? Any good reasons to actually do the upgrade (a fix for the disappearing keyboard bug might be worth it all by itself)? Any horror stories? I appreciate seeing Dr. Impossible's comments above. Any one else ready to speak out?

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I used the tool on 2x arrives it crashes at the end of each update but no big deal just re-launch. Took about 6 updates to get to 7.8 and it works flawlessly.
    Friends/Family plan sprint
    Htc evo 4g lte - mine
    HTC arrive - wife
    Htc evo 4g lte - friend 1
    samsung moment - friend (hasn't paid his bill, leaving him on the moment until he does, or till the contract expires)
    HTC arrive - oldest son

the 2x arrives upgraded flawlessly here. :)
    grejj likes this.

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Ok thinking about using the tool do you just select English packs or all of them? I only need English but reading on here sounds like folks had to select them all to get this to work..
    Banned

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    If you're using an Arrive on Sprint do NOT select anything but English...as you can screw up your ability to ever receive any future updates IF Sprint/HTC do put them out.

Using the 78er tool just select English on each update. Make sure you do it for EACH update otherwise you can screw things up.

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus Phreak View Post
    If you're using an Arrive on Sprint do NOT select anything but English...as you can screw up your ability to ever receive any future updates IF Sprint/HTC do put them out.

Using the 78er tool just select English on each update. Make sure you do it for EACH update otherwise you can screw things up.
    Yeah looking at the 78er tool so you choose english packs only how long does it take. After the updates are done did the 7.8 update keep your Emails accounts and all your Apps you had installed or did you half to reinstall everything like your email and Apps?? Did they 7.8 fix the keyboard issue with it disappering??
    Banned

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    Yeah looking at the 78er tool so you choose english packs only how long does it take. After the updates are done did the 7.8 update keep your Emails accounts and all your Apps you had installed or did you half to reinstall everything like your email and Apps?? Did they 7.8 fix the keyboard issue with it disappering??
    It was about 6 update cycles I believe. The 78er tool crashed after each update...which is no big deal, you just open it up again and keep going.

The 78er tool acts very similar to how Zune pulls updates and puts them on so it doesn't wipe the device at all. Everything was still there and working just fine.

7.8 does indeed fix the keyboard issue as that was actually an OS issue and not a device specific issue...actually any update post 7720/7740 had that issue solved so, it's good news all around.

I have a feeling most of the folks that end up with issues either tried to install additional unnecessary items, or forgot to add the 0409 language pack for each update cycle.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Is it possible to force update to 7.8 on a mac?

I see the 6 steps listed by dlchome. However where do I download the files from for each step?

I have an HTC Arrive phone.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast