Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By HeyCori
  • 1 Post By Coffee
  • 1 Post By HeyCori
  • 1 Post By nyquistjack
  1.    #1  
    From the main page:

    http://www.wpcentral.com/sprint-cons...-worthy-iphone

    To make the Windows Phone situation even sadder on Sprint than it already is (seriously, they pretty much tie Verizon), Sprint is now using the HTC Arrive, arguably one of the better Windows Phones, as the example for their buyback program. In short, when you go to the iPhone 4S page on Sprint, scrolling down reveals the Sprint Buyback program and the HTC Arrive, a phone that is just six months old, is wrapped in age-inducing ivy.

    It's as if Sprint is digging the knife in a little deeper. Sure, we could hope that this is because they're getting ready to reveal one or even two new Windows Phone for the holiday season, but honestly, it's been pretty quiet on the rumor front so far.

    Lame Sprint, just lame.
    You never displayed it. Never push it. Never gave one single penny, thought, or iota of concern how to properly sell or market the Arrive. You never trained your employees. In fact your employees hid it, afraid to show WP7 to consumers like how a child is afraid to show his mom a broken toy. You were lazy, Sprint, lazy and ignorant. Through your complacency you missed a prime opportunity to attract brand new customers. I guess that exemplifies your business model, don't be a leader, just bank on being the "other option" and hope things work out for the best. I understand now why you can't compete with Verizon and AT&T. It's not that you don't want to play with the big boys. You just don't know how.

    Sprint, I've seen your catalog. You have well over a dozen crappy phones you could have used for this ad Instead you choose one of the better phones?? Use one of those low tier Android phones or a Palm Pre, a phone that's actually dead. Not the phone with a great build quality and solid OS. A phone that you still sell for $200 bucks on your site (yes, it's still 200 bucks). It's pathetic.

    Don't worry, Sprint, I have no problems giving AT&T an extra $10 bucks a month for better coverage and a wider selection of phones. Hopefully one day you learn how to run your business. Then you can stop complaining about how hard it is to compete with everyone else.
    "Engineering is more than just the number of megapixels." - Stephen Elop
    Thanked by:
    MedicX 
    palandri, jasqid, MedicX and 1 others like this.
  2. threed61's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    #2  
    Don't feel alone WP, Sprint rejected every replacement for the Pre, even with users begging for one.
  3. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    6,636 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,758 Global Posts
    #3  
    I've never had Sprint, so from an outsider looking in, to me it seems like Sprint just doesn't have their heart into it. Maybe they want to change their direction and get into wireless something else.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  4. Coffee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    450 Posts
    #4  
    as I've said before, it takes carriers to push a phone as well as the manufacturers and the software providers.

    The Droid series does well b/c it's pushed by Verizon and Google and Motorola. There's a website just for the Droid series, and you see commercials all the time. People know the Droid tone and the slogan without ever having touched one. THAT'S marketing.
    palandri likes this.
  5. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    6,636 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,758 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    as I've said before, it takes carriers to push a phone as well as the manufacturers and the software providers.

    The Droid series does well b/c it's pushed by Verizon and Google and Motorola. There's a website just for the Droid series, and you see commercials all the time. People know the Droid tone and the slogan without ever having touched one. THAT'S marketing.
    You got that right. Every Chicago expressway has Droid Bionic billboards.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  6. canesfan625's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    489 Posts
    #6  
    The claim that sprint is telling me to ditch my arrive is silly considering they are supposed to be kicking off a large Windows Phone campaign soon
  7. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    6,636 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,758 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Canesfan625 View Post
    The claim that sprint is telling me to ditch my arrive is silly considering they are supposed to be kicking off a large Windows Phone campaign soon
    I hope Sprint does that. They are better off being a little bit diversified, rather than putting all their hope on only the iPhone.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  8. threed61's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I hope Sprint does that. They are better off being a little bit diversified, rather than putting all their hope on only the iPhone.
    They've placed plenty of hope on Android too.
  9. MedicX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #9  
    I agree 120% with the OP. When I saw this ad yesterday or whenever it was made known bp WPCentral, I was infuriated. I have thought about jumping ship so many times, but haven't because of the supposed better pricing and the unlimited data. But my Zune streaming sucks because of Sprints service, and, well, there is not enough selection here. Effin hate, ok, dislike Android. WP is just so fluid.
  10. TaliZorah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    623 Posts
    Global Posts
    671 Global Posts
    #10  
    The funny thing is that the Arrive is rated on their site with 4.5/5 stars from 222 reviews.
  11. Rico's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #11  
    I'm more pissed off that it's still $199 on their site. The Arrive is a great phone, but the price puts it in competition with phones like the Epic 4G Touch; an utterly ridiculous comparison. SRP on that phone is pretty ridiculous too. That's a $79 phone, tops.

    And FYI to the OP, there is official Sprint training for the Arrive. Unfortunately it's pre-Mango. It also doesn't change the fact that salespeople think it runs Windows Mobile.

    Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    Yes, I'm on Twitter.
  12. johnmcd348's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    233 Posts
    Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    #12  
    I posted this on the front page about the Surround being DC'd. I really don't even blame the carriers. I blame MS. Windows Phone 7 and the new phones are the biggest kept secret in the Smartphone market. There's no real advertising for these things. You see more ads on TV for the Computer than for the Smartphone. Instead of turning someones home into a Computer store, why don't they trade someone phones for awhile and let them experience it. You know, ala' Pepsi Challenge(for you old timers like me). How many Droid commercials do you see on TV every night. How much press does iPhone get on a regular basis, even before Jobs death(RIP). We, being end users are the only people on the planet it seems who even know that there's a new OS out there for these phones. And, that it's much better than the latest Droid OS. Faster, more stable, and able to do everything iOS and Droid can do. Most of it better.

    I'm willing to say that once, if ever, MS ever starts to really support it and get it into the mainstream minds eye, it could be a serious competitor. Until then, it'll be lucky if it seriously makes it past Palm.
  13. joemd60's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    303 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,142 Global Posts
    #13  
    I hope all this is not a sign of what's ahead. I agree, they need to push a little harder with WP7.
    Last edited by joemd60; 10-16-2011 at 08:05 PM.
  14. TheWeeBear's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    #14  
    I should think so too. Sprint changed their minds.

    http://www.wpcentral.com/sprint-back...removes-arrive

    WP7 People Power! :)

    .........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWeeBear View Post
    I should think so too. Sprint changed their minds.

    http://www.wpcentral.com/sprint-back...removes-arrive

    WP7 People Power! :)
    We may be small but we are loud.
    "Engineering is more than just the number of megapixels." - Stephen Elop
    TheWeeBear likes this.
  16. nyquistjack's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    811 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicX View Post
    I agree 120% with the OP. When I saw this ad yesterday or whenever it was made known bp WPCentral, I was infuriated. I have thought about jumping ship so many times, but haven't because of the supposed better pricing and the unlimited data. But my Zune streaming sucks because of Sprints service, and, well, there is not enough selection here. Effin hate, ok, dislike Android. WP is just so fluid.

    I ran the numbers on a family plan. Two smart phone users + two dumb phone users. Ran it at a 2GB plan for the data users at ATT...$10 CHEAPER at ATT, if you can believe it. Plus the overage is $10 per GB, so worst case scenario, i go over that 2GB (which I haven't hit on Sprint in over a year) and I am paying the same amount.

    Plus, have you been to an ATT store? They have a trillion freaking phones. As soon as I sell the damn Evo 3Ds I got stuck with thanks to Sprint's BS, I am choking on the ETF and going to ATT. I am sure they will screw me too, but at least i get a decent selection of phones!
    webOS Refugee. Now a Windows Phone 7 (HTC Arrive) refugee and an Android escapee (evo 3d) back on my original Pre for now. Looking forward to a killer device on ATT so I can dump Sprint and get back into the WP7.5 world.

    If you are a fellow webOS refugee, visit this thread for some getting started tips.

    http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...ion/180046.htm
    HeyCori likes this.
  17. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    967 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistjack View Post
    I ran the numbers on a family plan. Two smart phone users + two dumb phone users. Ran it at a 2GB plan for the data users at ATT...$10 CHEAPER at ATT, if you can believe it. Plus the overage is $10 per GB, so worst case scenario, i go over that 2GB (which I haven't hit on Sprint in over a year) and I am paying the same amount.

    Plus, have you been to an ATT store? They have a trillion freaking phones. As soon as I sell the damn Evo 3Ds I got stuck with thanks to Sprint's BS, I am choking on the ETF and going to ATT. I am sure they will screw me too, but at least i get a decent selection of phones!
    I'm right there with you....right when the decent selection of Windows Phones comes to AT&T or T-Mobile I'm dropping Sprint; their network sucks at penetrating thick walls anyway and GSM is the way to go.

    Dunno what I'm going to do though because I get an AT&T discount through work, but T-Mobile is cheaper and they simply throttle your speeds if you go over....hmmm...
  18. nyquistjack's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    811 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    I'm right there with you....right when the decent selection of Windows Phones comes to AT&T or T-Mobile I'm dropping Sprint; their network sucks at penetrating thick walls anyway and GSM is the way to go.

    Dunno what I'm going to do though because I get an AT&T discount through work, but T-Mobile is cheaper and they simply throttle your speeds if you go over....hmmm...
    I am efinitely going with ATT over Tmo. Mostly because of the phone selection. It is just massive. They get all of the phones released in Europe due to similiar radios. Even when the phones do make it to Verizon and Sprint they tend to get there later. My big problem is being able to afford the ETF and then buy 2 new phones probably at $200 a piece. Makes me natious even thinking about it...
    webOS Refugee. Now a Windows Phone 7 (HTC Arrive) refugee and an Android escapee (evo 3d) back on my original Pre for now. Looking forward to a killer device on ATT so I can dump Sprint and get back into the WP7.5 world.

    If you are a fellow webOS refugee, visit this thread for some getting started tips.

    http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...ion/180046.htm
  19. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    967 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistjack View Post
    I am efinitely going with ATT over Tmo. Mostly because of the phone selection. It is just massive. They get all of the phones released in Europe due to similiar radios. Even when the phones do make it to Verizon and Sprint they tend to get there later. My big problem is being able to afford the ETF and then buy 2 new phones probably at $200 a piece. Makes me natious even thinking about it...
    i think my ETF right now is around 115 or something because Sprint said your ETF drops for every month you are a Premium or Gold (or w/e) member. For me, I can sell the Arrive, find a used Focus until the good phones come from Craigslist or eBay, and start the new contract (probably totalling around $200 or so in the end...depending on how much I can get rid of the Arrive for...). I will miss Sprint's customer service, however, because they bend over backwards for whatever you want almost...

    Waiting to see what ICS brings today. If they bring Hardware Acceleration (full-blown) then Android will be as smooth as WP7 and there will be no need for me to stay anymore until the hardware gets better (i.e. the Focus S or w/e) because I have a Nexus S, and when it gets updated (or a decent ROM dump comes along) I'm jumping ship if I see Windows Phone not delivering any promise (which is pretty much how it's looking for this year). Then again, by the time the Nexus S gets updated, the new hardware might show up. It's all a matter of waiting and finding which phone I can be content with until then because it's hard to see my Nexus S and not re-activate it (heck..even my Pre....I'm thinking about adding 2.1 or w/e on it since the launcher is hardware accelerated).

    edit:

    BBX looks like it may be very interesting (if it's as smooth as the PlayBook), and Sprint has always been a hardcore Blackberry station...hmmm
    Last edited by jrdatrackstar; 10-18-2011 at 01:31 PM.
  20. MastrMeatWad's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #20  
    I would have loved to go with ATT because of the phone selection, but the service is **** poor in my area. I am a sad panda. Verizn and Sprint have the best connection in my area. Love my arrive.

    Dear Sprint,

    Get more WP7 devices soon including Nokia, or you can SUCK IT.
  21. schrempa's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #21  
    I went in to buy 4 Arrives and during the several hours it took them to find that many they continually tried to talk me out of them. We love the phones!
  22. LowRentTechGuy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    #22  
    I could not agree more with the OP if I had written it.

    Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
  23. Mitlov's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    390 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    I'm more pissed off that it's still $199 on their site.
    Wow. US Cellular sells the same phone under the name 7 Pro for $129, and is respectable about promoting it (heck, on their website, it lists Blackberry Phones, then Windows Phones (just the 7 Pro right now), and only then Android Phones.
  24. Groover1971's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    20 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Canesfan625 View Post
    The claim that sprint is telling me to ditch my arrive is silly considering they are supposed to be kicking off a large Windows Phone campaign soon
    Well, that Sprint Windows Phone campaign didn't quite materialize.

Posting Permissions

B