- 09-25-2013, 12:45 PM #1
Im on my second HTC 8x now, the first one would freeze solid, i would have to hold the power button down to power it off, it would happen 5-6 times a day, i called Bell and HTC, they recommended a new phone.
Now its 4-5 months later, my phone just turns itself off out of the blue, i will be surfing the net and all of sudden it will say "goodbye"
Sometimes its just idle sitting there, and i go to unlock the screen, and its off.
I think this is a poorly built phone, im going to call HTC again and see what they say.
09-25-2013, 12:51 PM #2
- 2,709 Posts
On my second 8x and since GDR2 it turns off on its own, comes up with sim errors during the middle of a phone call and reboots itself. Im looking to get my contract cancelled on this one and replace it with a 1020
09-25-2013, 12:57 PM #3
- 99 Posts
I've had the same issues with my girlfriends 8x since we bought it. Random reboots, SIM errors, freezing. It's been a real pain. She loves the OS and really loves the form factor of the phone but I get at least one text a day telling me how much she hates it. I just haven't taken the time to go get it fixed. GDR2 didn't seem to help it at all...nor did putting some tape on the SIM card like others have stated numerous times.
That being said, I'm fully acknowledging that I'm a complete *** for not getting this fixed for her. If this was my 920 I'd have been back to the store on day 2 of the issue.
- 09-25-2013, 01:07 PM #4
i just called HTC, spoke to some dude who barely spoke english.
The call consisted of him asking me to reboo the phone
Then he had me take the SIM out and put it back it in.
Then he said call back tommorow if it reboots again, and next step will be a factory wipe, which im not interested in doing.
I may have to lean on my account rep and get this replaced with something else, since this is an on call phone for 40 hours every second week.
I like the OS with windows 8, but wouldnt recommend the HTC 8x to anyone at this point.
09-25-2013, 03:39 PM #7
- 3 Posts
About two weeks ago, my phone started randomly rebooting everyday, usually when I'm not even touching it. It'll be laying on my desk, and I see it randomly light up that it is rebooting. I have not installed any new apps recently, but I have updated existing apps. It is getting highly annoying. This is my first smart phone, and although I really enjoy WP8, this phone has been nothing but trouble since day one. Weeks of not being able to send/receive texts/calls at random (sometimes they'd go through, sometimes they wouldn't, and I had no idea about it until one day I hung out with friends and they all started asking why I haven't been replying/answering them for nearly a month in December/January), reception randomly disappearing when I'm in areas where reception is very good, Other Storage taking up half my storage space, a good month of random SIM card errors, and other randomly annoying things.
I am now reformatting it for the fourth time since I've gotten it, and if it doesn't fix the rebooting issue, I'm done with it. I now understand why I had quite a few people telling me not to get an HTC product, and regret not listening to them.
I understand that with modern technology, things are prone to go wrong, even with quality testing taking out most of the problematic parts, but this is just insane. I've never owned a piece of tech that has had so many issues that were out of my control. From now on, if I stick with WP8, I'm going Nokia. I cannot trust HTC.
09-26-2013, 05:59 PM #10
- 142 Posts
Mine's similarly driving me completely nuts. Feel free to let me know if any of these sound familiar. I feel like every update has somehow made this phone worse.
- Since the beginning, I've had random reboots with some frequency across two 8X's (#1 was replaced due to SIM card error issues that weren't fixed with the update that was supposed to fix them). They became less frequent after Portico but more frequent after GDR2.
- I've had occasional 1-3 second lags across the OS and all apps since Portico, again across both phones that I've had.
- Since GDR2, I've had areas where I've had to hit "Try again" to send a text message as many as three times before messages will send. This happens consistently at my work.
- Also since GDR2, music playing on the phone likes to dip in volume and come back up, particularly during quiet sections of songs. I don't like the forced crossfade between songs as it is; that just makes it worse. Said crossfade also happens after GPS instructions (as in, it fades out and then in after the instruction rather than fading out -> instruction -> fade in).
- The GDR2 fix that made it so metadata from Xbox Music doesn't rewrite your existing metadata also appears to have rendered my phone unable to recognize any bands unless music from Xbox Music is on my phone for said band. For instance, it didn't recognize Depeche Mode (no photo, store option, etc.) until I downloaded Delta Machine, at which point it showed the new album along with my pre-existing music under the same artist.
- And finally, also since GDR2, the phone loses connection when tethering after a certain amount of time. I had to reboot to get it back.
I'm pretty done with this crap. I haven't done a hard reset since GDR2 but frankly, I don't give a damn anymore. I'm certainly done with HTC at this point (It's not my first HTC phone with issues; every HTC phone I've owned except my Trophy, God rest its soul, have had issues introduced by updates. I was an unlucky Thunderbolt owner.) and I'm contemplating bailing from WP8 in general.
Ugh, sorry. I like the platform but I can't deal with the three steps forward, two steps back nature of every update I've received.
09-27-2013, 12:11 PM #14
- 1,898 Posts
Completely with you on this thread. HTC has these great looking, great feeling, amazing to look at devices..... then you get them home. My Titan & Titan 2 were problem children from the word "go". I am done with them. I am so sorry for those with issues. Hard to hear some are bailing on WP because of bad HTC experiences. I can't blame them when it is their only frame of reference, but it still hurts to hear. It is one thing when WP8 just isn't their kind os OS, but another when the 2nd most important OEM can't put out decent hardware and that ruins the experince.
@rocking23nf, let us know how it ends up for you. Hoping for the best.I find your lack of faith disturbing. - Darth Vader
- 10-02-2013, 10:18 AM #15
Well i was kinda in limbo for the week, Bell wanted me to send it in for a 4-6 week repair and i had to pay for a loaner, niether of which interest me. I ended up gettting a HTC survey from my call to them, and i blasted them and the phone, which suprisingly prompted a call back from someone at thier office, they want to send me out a new sim card tray now and see if it fixes the issue.
- 10-15-2013, 02:11 PM #16
get this, i get a email today saying they wont ship out my replacement sim card tray until i return the old sim card tray.
so they want me to go without a phone for weeks, just to ship me out a 10 cent piece of plastic.
I hate HTC, i have learned my lesson, never again.
- By eugie in forum General Microsoft News and DiscussionReplies: 44Last Post: 10-10-2013, 10:57 AM
- By montsa007 in forum The "Off Topic" LoungeReplies: 23Last Post: 10-02-2013, 11:24 AM
- By John Balacano in forum Windows 8Replies: 8Last Post: 09-27-2013, 04:23 PM
- By phander in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 2Last Post: 09-25-2013, 02:49 PM
- By eugie in forum General Microsoft News and DiscussionReplies: 1Last Post: 09-25-2013, 02:49 AM