After a frustrating amount of searching, configuring, and useless (Straight Talk) tech support, here are the APN settings that work for my HTC 8X.
    Note that I bought the 8x from T-Mobile when it was first introduced (unsubsidized full price), and recently unlocked it via an unlock code provided by T-Mobile. I purchased a Straight Talk "T-Mobile compatible SIM card" and used a SIM cutter to make a micro, as they don't provide micros any longer (per Straight Talk email).

Settings/Cellular/add internet APN fields:
    APN: wap.tracfone
    Username: blank
    Password: blank
    Proxy Server: 216.155.165.40
    Proxy Port: 8080
    IP type: IPv4v6

Settings/Cellular/add MMS APN fields:
    APN: wap.tracfone
    Username: blank
    Password: blank
    WAP gateway: 216.155.165.40
    WAP gateway port: 8080
    MMSC (URL): http://mms.tracfone.com/
    MMSC port: blank (it is then auto-filled with 80)
    Maximum MMS size: blank
    IP type: IPv4v6

Note the network shows up as "Home". I also changed Network selection from "automatic" to "HOME". In my area (So Cal), I get T-Mobile's version (and therefore Straight Talk's version) of "4G".

MMS worked, I magically got my emails, but no internet or Bing App searches. I was about to give up until I found a thread on this forum for the HTC titan, which reminded me of an HTC app called "Connection Setup". I ran that and got three networks: "Roam Mobility", "T-Mobile US", "Walmart Family Mobile". Changing it from "T-Mobile US" to either of the other two made it all work. Amazing. A big shout-out and thanks to WP Central forum for being an excellent resource.

All of these APN settings can be inferred from the "Activation Card" that came with the SIM. Straight Talk tech support is a useless resource with Windows Phone 8, WP Central rocks. Thanks.
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,766 Global Posts
    Thank you for the information. We have an ambassador working on a APN settings guide. I pointed him to this thread to see what you have posted.
    Thanks . Worked !

mine didn't work, I can call and Text but no mms and internet i tried to do the htc connection set up, its telling me about database missing.
    please Help.
    phone is unlock, but was from AT&T

Thank you very much for posting this. Your info about the Connection Setup was key also! Going through your instructions exactly as you laid them out I was able to get everything going, including tethering!

THANK YOU!!!

OMG I had been so frustrated, had new Tmobile phone, using it on myfamilymobile (walmart) then suddenly Tmobile "upgrades" the phone and boom no more internet sharing. I unlocked the phone, did a hard reset, but still the same... then this post-- I though I'd have to do the whole APN fix posted earlier, but tried the HTC Connection Setup app--- voila, I can use it again! You rock.

Thank you so much! Was very frustrated also and this worked great :)
    My connection setup wouldn't find a data base either. After a lot of trying I finally got mine to work. I'm using it with Pure Talk.
    APN att.mvno
    WAP(url) 66.209.11.33
    WAP port 80
    MMSC port http://mmsc.cingular.com/
    MMSC port 80
    IP type IPv4v6
    are you able to get picture messaging?
    I am not able to.....help?

Thank you. This saved me hours of frustration. Worked first time. For everyone else this allowed a T-Mobile 8x to work perfectly on Straight Talk with a T-Mobile SIM. Internet and MMS were the non working and work great now.