- 02-27-2013, 07:31 PM #1
I just got a new verizon 8x and im using it in Bermuda. Unfortunately, i cant get it to connect to any 3g (umts) network, it only connects to 2g (edge). 3g networks here run on 850/1900mhz, the same as at&t, so i assumed the phone would work here.
Has anyone had success using this phone on a 3g network outside the US? Is there anything special i need to do?
- 02-27-2013, 11:20 PM #2
I use mine all throughout Central and South America. In Mexico, I always get a 3G signal. Right now, I'm in Panama, and I'm getting an H (I assume is for HSPA) or E (assume Edge). There is no way to change which carrier to which you are connected (unlike other providers and phones which allow you to change your GSM settings). Even when I had a Verizon Droid Razr, I could not change carriers manually - but at least I could tel which carrier I was connected to.
02-28-2013, 09:44 AM #4
- 15 Posts
I had trouble in Hong Kong a couple weeks ago, but then again I seem always to have trouble in Hong Kong with Verizon devices (including prior iPhones). They eventually work but it takes some futzing, and occasionally they just go dark for several hours, then re-connect to the network. Try monkeying around with the various options in the settings under Cellular, Mode selection. Give it 15 or 20 minutes between changes there before you revert back, and a power cycle between changes probably wouldn't hurt either.
- 02-28-2013, 10:33 AM #5
Thanks for the advice. Ive been messing around with the settings for 2 days now, still have yet to see anything but an E in the corner. It always connects to 2g without any problems.
Is there any way to actually see what network im connected to? Like some kind of hidden info screen?
03-01-2013, 04:12 PM #6
- 1 Posts
I have a Verizon 8x Red and wanted this one over a local model as it has the wireless charging option inbuilt from factory.
The phone is sold as unlocked and most network sims work here (voda/optus/telstra).
I am using it on the Telstra 3G/4G network in Australia and so far the issues I've had are:
1. Can't sent sms to any saved phone contact (synced from exchange not on sim) - Fix = disable international assist in call settings
2. No WIFI tethering - I believe from a few other sources that this is blocked by verizon and the only workaround would be to flash it to an unbranded HTC rom
3. MMS won't send - I believe from a few other sources that this is blocked by verizon and the only workaround would be to flash it to an unbranded HTC rom
Anyone with another solution please advise.
VellaiT - Australian IT & Communications Specialists
- By longlifexs in forum HTC 8XReplies: 2Last Post: 12-09-2012, 05:36 PM
- By aventador779 in forum HTC 8XReplies: 12Last Post: 11-25-2012, 11:32 AM
- By willied in forum HTC 8XReplies: 3Last Post: 11-16-2012, 01:33 PM
- By aventador779 in forum HTC 8XReplies: 2Last Post: 11-15-2012, 04:03 PM
- By thed in forum HTC 8XReplies: 4Last Post: 10-06-2012, 10:07 PM