Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GreenScrew

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I just got the HTX 8x over the weekend, and i noticed that Verizon customers that has an Android or Basic Phones appends "Call back at ##########" to every text message they send me. Is there a way to disable this on my end? I have not seen then on my prior Verizon smart phone. From my research and understanding this is normally caused by the sending device, but it is weird I never saw it on my previous phone, Droid Charge.

Verizon Phones I can verify it is happening with
    Any Basic Phone
    Droid Thunderbolt
    Droid Razr

Phones I can verify it is not happening with
    iPhone 4s+
    HTC Trophy

Has anyone been able to address this?

Thanks,

tesh

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I'm not sure what the source is because I did not get this on any other phone prior to my 8X and I've always been on Verizon.
    However, I like this feature. For instance, I had a friend text me over the weekend and ask me to call her. All I had to do was tap the phone number at the bottom of the text and ta-da, quick call! No having to go out of the text and find her in my contacts and then call.

That's silly... just tap on the contact name at the top of the message thread to go to the contact. Then its just one more tap to call, email, text, write on their wall, tweet them or do whatever else you can do with your phone to interface with contacts. Not to sound condescending, but WP makes things so easy if people just learn how to use it.

Back on topic, I'm confident this call back signature feature was added as part of an Android update. I bet if you asked your friend they recently got an update to Android. It is up to them to disable the callback number. Most don't even realize it is being sent. All of my friends that I mention it to disabled it right away.
    spoonite likes this.

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenScrew View Post
    That's silly... just tap on the contact name at the top of the message thread to go to the contact. Then its just one more tap to call, email, text, write on their wall, tweet them or do whatever else you can do with your phone to interface with contacts. Not to sound condescending, but WP makes things so easy if people just learn how to use it.

Well sorry, but you did sound condescending. Usually when people say, "I don't mean to sound......(fill in the blank) " they do. I was just pointing out that it was convenient to tap the number and call. It is also convenient to save the number if its not one you already have. But I'm sure there's a quicker way to do that too, I'm just too silly to have found it yet.

There are a lot of us here who haven't had our phones that long yet, and perhaps there are still some undiscovered tidbits for us to find but that doesn't make us "silly,"

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Its a feature that can be disabled from the senders phone as a send call back info or a signature of some type. Was enabled on my bionic long ago but disabled the second I noticed the phone sending my messages as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Westiemom View Post
    Well sorry, but you did sound condescending. Usually when people say, "I don't mean to sound......(fill in the blank) " they do. I was just pointing out that it was convenient to tap the number and call. It is also convenient to save the number if its not one you already have. But I'm sure there's a quicker way to do that too, I'm just too silly to have found it yet.

There are a lot of us here who haven't had our phones that long yet, and perhaps there are still some undiscovered tidbits for us to find but that doesn't make us "silly,"
    Well now, it appears you took my response personally. It wasn't meant that way at all. I never said YOU were silly. Just the benefit of tapping on the call back number was silly when you can tap the sender at the top of the message thread. I guess my saying not to take it as condescending in fact caused you to take it as that. Interesting... But in fact, I understand that many folks don't know these tricks and its why I mentioned it. I should think you might've thanked me for the tip rather than taking the defensive as if I had attacked you when I was merely trying to help (and in fact NOT be condescending). In the end, my point would be to play around and discover many shortcuts for yourself, as I realize that they may not be the most intuitive. Tap around and discover for yourself. Not to sound like a Windows Phone expert (hopefully I do ) because I've only had a WP for 9 months myself! Be of good cheer, and have fun with your phone. But please encourage your mates to disable that annoying call back notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Westiemom View Post
    It is also convenient to save the number if its not one you already have. But I'm sure there's a quicker way to do that too, I'm just too silly to have found it yet.
    BTW, this is handled in the same way as responding to a text asking you to call them... tap the senders number (which will display rather than the name if not associated to an existing contact) and you can call or text, but now there is also a save symbol (circled diskette) that you can use to add the number as a contact. Pretty cool, eh? And still no benefit to the callback number....

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenScrew View Post
    I should think you might've thanked me for the tip rather than taking the defensive as if I had attacked you when I was merely trying to help.
    And I would think you should have apologized for using the word "silly." Perhaps I would have thanked you for the info if you had left out that offensive adjective. You could have offered all the same "tips" without it.

I would like to revive this thread, sans flames...
    New owner of an 8x here... Loving the phone. However, I have this callback number issue with a select few contacts. One is a Verizon Droid user who it never happened with on my previous phone (days ago) and says it doesn't happen to anyone else from him. Another same story but he doesn't even have a smart phone.
    Anyone got anything on this?

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwurl View Post
    I would like to revive this thread, sans flames...
    New owner of an 8x here... Loving the phone. However, I have this callback number issue with a select few contacts. One is a Verizon Droid user who it never happened with on my previous phone (days ago) and says it doesn't happen to anyone else from him. Another same story but he doesn't even have a smart phone.
    Anyone got anything on this?
    No luck here - i have just had to learn to live with it. sorry I know that is not the answer you are looking for.

Yeah, that's the conclusion I've come to. There are definitely worse things.