Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

I'm sure most of you know that with the release of Portico that Group Texting was still NOT addressed. It is my hope that someone figures out an app that can provide this functionality to us as I don't believe we can rely on Verizon anymore. Does anyone know of any current apps that support this functionality? My fiance's family all have iPhones and group text can be annoying. :)

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    im not sure of the issue, but i noticed in my settings today an option for group text and it was turned to off. I have never group texted before and dont know if that info will help you or not, just thought i would share it, im on Bell Canada with the latest OS.

Unfortunately Verizon has removed this option.

That's the only thing stopping me from switching to vzw... the only solution I have heard of is something like groupme, but that's obviously not the same... I'm not about to convince everyone I know to switch from normal texting to groupme.

Global Posts
    1,281 Global Posts
    Ok, I have an 822 on Vzn, but try this. Go to into your People Hub. Swipe to the right (left side of the "All" listing). Do you see Groups listed? This is where I set up my group texting. I can group text to all sorts of different phone OS's.

PM me for more details

I can send texts to groups but I can't receive texts from a group. They come in as individual texts. When I reply I reply to one person.

Bump any ideas?

I have been looking for the same kind of thing, but have found nothing. I am not going to try to build a new "Group" or "Room" everytime I want to do a group text. My friends and family are big into the group texting thing, so it is extremely difficult not knowing if a message sent to me is just to me or if to a whole group...so frustrating.

Verizon needs to fix this, but I can't imagine they will anytime soon.

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    I don't think they will fix it. I saw a Verizon post back in Dec that said Verizon is doing away with group SMS.

Quote Originally Posted by jasqid View Post
    I don't think they will fix it. I saw a Verizon post back in Dec that said Verizon is doing away with group SMS.
    I figured that they won't. I was wondering if there is any kind of alternative solution. For instance on Android I used GO SMS which worked great for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrummerJDM View Post
    I can send texts to groups but I can't receive texts from a group. They come in as individual texts. When I reply I reply to one person.
    Just wanted to let you know, you may think you're replying to one person but you are not. Everyone included on the group text will receive your replies. There is no way to distinguish this and it's a massive security concern. This is all Verizon's fault. If anyone doesn't believe me test it yourself.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Yes I don't like that at all! At least show us who also received the message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    Just wanted to let you know, you may think you're replying to one person but you are not. Everyone included on the group text will receive your replies. There is no way to distinguish this and it's a massive security concern. This is all Verizon's fault. If anyone doesn't believe me test it yourself.
    Wait, will they receive it in the group text thread? Or in a separate?
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
    Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    Wait, will they receive it in the group text thread? Or in a separate?
    Separate thread. The point is, any text you receive on your phone may be a group text and there's no way to know if it is or not. Also, any text you reply to can potentially be sent to other people without you knowing if it is a group text.

Summary: No texts are private on Verizon phones. Anyone can group text your phone and allow all recipients to eavesdrop on your conversation without you knowing.

So I have heard GroupMe will allow you to receive group messages but I have no idea how it works. Are there any other alternative apps out there?

So I have heard GroupMe will allow you to receive group messages but I have no idea how it works. Are there any other alternative apps out there?
    as far as I can tell, it is no different than the Rooms feature already offered by the phone.

It is really hard to convince your friends to come into your room. It sounds creepy too.

Global Posts
    670 Global Posts
    According to Verizon, you don't need Group Text capabilities. I saw this on the internet and you can't put anything on the internet that isn't true.

LOL, LOL, LOL

I guess we will just have to wait and see whether Verizon decides to be graceful or if someone comes up with a way to make group text a reality on Verizon. It's just sad that Verizon would limit a phone's capabilities however their network is just unbeatable where I live.

So just an update, I asked Verizon in a very formal posting on their community forum why they removed this functionality and they just removed my post. LOL

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Drummer I see your post in Verizon Community. I am a frequent member there. Unfortunately Community is a peer to peer forum. So you won't really find any company based knowledge. Any VZ Customer Care representatives there do no answer any question other than trying to give troubleshooting feedback. Your best bet is too directly Email or contact Verizon Customer service

Perhaps you can join in this discussion
    https://community.verizonwireless.co.../936195#936195
    -Verizon HTC 8x Blue

I'm sure you as well as everyone else would agree if they would just release a statement as to why this was removed we would feel a lot better.
    Thanked by:

I had a thought today. I believe that the HTC 8X is Unlocked on Verizon. If someone could extract their Messaging.xap from an AT&T or T Mobile phone maybe we could sideload this onto the Verizon Phone which would allow us to group text since it is the app. I could be wrong though since messaging may be embedded into WP8.

I had a thought today. I believe that the HTC 8X is Unlocked on Verizon. If someone could extract their Messaging.xap from an AT&T or T Mobile phone maybe we could sideload this onto the Verizon Phone which would allow us to group text since it is the app. I could be wrong though since messaging may be embedded into WP8.
    oh man, I wish I knew how to do that. That would be sweet.

Bump anyone think they could do this?

Just an update. I just called HTC and Verizon. HTC confirmed that Verizon wanted this feature removed from their phones. I then called Verizon and talked to Tech Support who informed me that this issue has been brought to their attention and that there are internal forms and discussions going on on releasing an update that adds this feature back. Unfortunately she could not provide me with when this update will be released. I'm not sure if this was just a ploy to get me off the phone but it sounded like a lot of people have called in and Verizon is getting to the point where they can no longer ignore this issue. Maybe if more people call in the fix will come sooner.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast