Well HTC, you and I shall have a short lived relationship.

I sent my 8X for warranty repairs on new years eve, and it came back to my store today. So I went to pick it up.

Slight scratches on the screen and minor scuffs on the soft-touch coating. Not really that big of a deal, poor QA nevertheless.

They replaced the camera, and it works now which is ****ing great, really. That's the whole reason I sent it back.

However, the cellular radios no longer seem to work. No service at all, and when I scan for networks manually none are found.

Reset phone, reset SIM... No luck. I was presented with a dialog upon resetting my sim that set "Phone mode changed to GSM".

When the phone starts, it's in airplane mode for a few seconds before going to no service.

The best part is if I had of returned the phone to the store a day sooner I would have got a free replacement.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    LG Quantum >> Samsung Focus S i937 >> HTC 8X (Blue) >> Nokia Lumia 920 (Red) & Surface RT

Nokia 920...

Quote Originally Posted by cashcar1979 View Post
    Nokia 920...
    He has a verizon version

Bell Canada*
    LG Quantum >> Samsung Focus S i937 >> HTC 8X (Blue) >> Nokia Lumia 920 (Red) & Surface RT

Quote Originally Posted by 64GUNSHIP View Post
    Bell Canada*
    thats not cdma right? If not then its really weird for the 8x to show switch to gsm mode message

Correct.

Honestly I might just go back to my carrier and depend them replace it as two of the days during the 30 day period were boxing day and Christmas...
    Bell version is GSM/LTE.Call Bell and have them exchange it for you. Explain what happened and the problem with the phone. It should be still eligible, especially given the physical damage your phone has received by the repair company.

Verizon phones are "World Phones" & can run on GSM networks. My 822 came preset in GSM mode. I had to go in the radio settings & change it to CDMA. Works great now.

Info from another post:

According to HTC site:

CDMA 2000 800/1900 MHz, LTE: 700 MHz (Band 13), GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, HSPA/UMTS: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz

There should be a "Mode Selection" option under Settings->Cellular. Make sure it it set to 'Global' or 'LTE, GSM,or UTMS'. If that doesn't work, take it back to the store. They didn't give you a working phone which is what you paid for. Also bring up the other things you mentioned (2 days of return period were holidays, phone was returned with scuffs)

Problem is Bell Canada does not support their phones, so he's screwed.

Well the phone's gone back to the service center for another 2 weeks, and I am without a phone again. The woman working there this evening was being a complete ***** so any chance of an exchange or free loner phone was out of the question.
    Bell Canada*
    Doesn't bell have insurance and they can replace the phone?
    Well the phone's gone back to the service center for another 2 weeks, and I am without a phone again. The woman working there this evening was being a complete ***** so any chance of an exchange or free loner phone was out of the question.
    Maybe get an Ativ?

I've thought about it.. I'd miss Beats audio too much though :(
    I've thought about it.. I'd miss Beats audio too much though :(
    Have them (as in bell, NOT HTC) send it in.

Call retention and let them know ur issue. They won't replace in my store without first calling and saying if he has no phone he has no job and we get no money. They replace it right then.

I got the same problem : "Your phone is now in GSM mode". No reception, can't text and call. I already did the factory reset twice. successful resets but not that GSM mode. I already called HTC cust. service, last option to deliver the unit to them to have a look with the hardware/software for any defects. Any advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirecus View Post
    I got the same problem : "Your phone is now in GSM mode". No reception, can't text and call. I already did the factory reset twice. successful resets but not that GSM mode. I already called HTC cust. service, last option to deliver the unit to them to have a look with the hardware/software for any defects. Any advice?
    Try switching sim cards. I ran into the same GSM mode but it was tied to me switching sim cards.