Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Psaris
  • 1 Post By jaj324
  • 2 Post By jaj324
  • 1 Post By Flagz
  • 1 Post By Flagz

I have been testing a HTC 8x for only a couple of days. I love it! But, I’m a little worried about how Fragile the unit could be. I have had an Idevice w no case for a couple years and have no cracks, dents, dings, or scratches. And I have dropped it several times, no issues. I dropped the HTC yesterday accidentally. The drop was what I would classify as a mild drop, less than 3 feet to a hard surface. I was on a call at the time. Picked up the phone and continued talking for about 30sec. The call then dropped. I was not able to make a successful call after that. WiFi continued to work. Cell & cell data did not work. The signal would come and go. It would show full LTE signal, then I would press send for a call, it would indicate ‘dialing’ for 20-30sec, then would end call. Occasionally a call would go through but for only 20-30 seconds. Only very short TXT would go through, but not every time.
    I did power resets, SIM resets, factory resets. Verizon store repeated test. No avail. Verizon call center repeated resets with me to no avail. All my issues started after the drop.
    I am now very concerned the device is very Fragile.
    Anyone dropped yet and/or having issues?
    A friend has an HTC w case and has dropped from missing pocket with no issues…

Global Posts
    1,579 Global Posts
    I dropped my today while on the treadmill. Actually, i violently knocked it down (on accident) and it hit the threadmill and then the floor. No issues at all with dents or damage.
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    Friends don't let friends drop their smartphones. Drop test are ridiculous. They are not meant to be dropped, ever.
    Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress
    CDMA phones usually aren't as good at handling drops as much as GSM phones are. It might be possible that the unit was defective even before the drop.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    And this is (or was) my 8X after a 4 feet drop, a "perfect flat" on the floor... :(
    The irony is, the phone is still working perfectly, but it falls to pieces when I touch it...

htc_8x.jpg

OUCH! So much for the Gorilla Glass 2!!
    Vavali likes this.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Psaris View Post
    OUCH! So much for the Gorilla Glass 2!!
    When I heard the "Krshhh" sound when it hit the floor, I knew something wrong happened. ;)

Global Posts
    855 Global Posts
    dropped mine waist high on my living room floor on some legos lol didnt break but got a nice scratch.

Same exact thing. About 3 feet, dropped it. Except mine has no service constantly. I can still use WiFi, Bluetooth etc but no service whatsoever.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Fumbled mine taking out of pocket while sitting in a chair. It fell two to three feet to a concrete floor. The screen broke over the front camera and all down the right side. Phone still worked fine. Got an insurance replacement.

Dropped mine while opening my trunk (looking back, I realize that was stupid, but I've done it at least a hundred times without dropping my phone). I have a Mustang, so it was like a three and a half foot drop, but it landed on concrete and the entire top half of the screen shattered. It was fine besides that, though, and I used it for about a week and a half before replacing it via insurance.

Also, I now have an otterbox on my phone and I am using a screen protector, just because I'm so paranoid.

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
    Phones: HTC 8X & HTC Trophy & Samsung Focus
    PC:Dell Studio XPS 1640

My app: Plant Guide

Spitfire 4.0, my HTC Imagio, rest in peace.
    Sorry to hear about your broken phones, everyone, but this is simple physics. You can have an unprotected iPhone 4 drop onto pavement from ear level and be fine, and you can have a Lumia 920 in an otterbox defender with a wrapsol screen protector drop onto a thinly carpeted floor of the couch and spider web the screen from top to bottom. It's all in how it lands. If it lands in such a way that the force of impact is transmitted to the glass instead of the casing, it's gonna break.
    Thanked by:
    Flagz 

Global Posts
    869 Global Posts
    Dropped mine from ear level onto a concrete floor and all I had was a small scuff... :/
    XBO Gamertag: the teams Flag
    Microsoft Enthusiast; T-Mobile Revolutionist; Hip Hop Evolutionist

First drop of mine today, waist height putting it into my pocket, landed screen down onto hard surface floor. No issues or damage whatsoever, using Incipio feather case.

Yep, got up from my chair, and forgot it was on my lap... It fell approximately 2 feet or so, and landed on the corner... 820635_526838977348049_1307482143_o.jpg
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    It's all in the landing....
    Vavali likes this.

Global Posts
    613 Global Posts
    I have dropped mine a couple of times on my car. All the times the phone has been sitting on my lap so the falls are 2 ft at the most and the carpet has helped a lot I guess.

After seeing those pics I can't help but feel sorry for the owners.

After seeing so many pictures of shattered phones (and not even from major impacts), I'm starting to think that Gorilla Glass is highly overrated.
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    I think GG's claim to fame is that it's scratch resistant not shatterproof.
    Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express
    Laura Knotek and Vavali like this.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Just happened to me as well. Did you get this fixed?

Global Posts
    869 Global Posts
    Update on my phone. Since I got it on release day @ Tmobile, my phone has been dropped from Ear level twice (wood and concrete) and from waist level four times (concrete on all of them) and when I saw it land, on all them it was on the corner. It was also dropped from chest level and slid across the floor on its screen once (flat landing) and mine has yet to crack. I've never EVER had a phone screen crack so I can't share stories on durability but mine is a trooper. Getting a new housing this weekend maybe (Mine is really really torn up from falls, from scuffs to tear on one corner.
    Westiemom likes this.

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagz View Post
    Update on my phone. Since I got it on release day @ Tmobile, my phone has been dropped from Ear level twice (wood and concrete) and from waist level four times (concrete on all of them) and when I saw it land, on all them it was on the corner. It was also dropped from chest level and slid across the floor on its screen once (flat landing) and mine has yet to crack. I've never EVER had a phone screen crack so I can't share stories on durability but mine is a trooper. Getting a new housing this weekend maybe (Mine is really really torn up from falls, from scuffs to tear on one corner.
    Good Lord you're hard on phones Flagz! You just made me chuckle this morning.......you need a tank that makes phone calls! :D

Global Posts
    869 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Westiemom View Post
    Good Lord you're hard on phones Flagz! You just made me chuckle this morning.......you need a tank that makes phone calls! :D
    I never used to drop phones, but now as a nurse, scrubs have really awful pockets, so it always falls out while I get out of cars and chairs. The only time it fell while in hands is me goofing around. And ear level when I almost slipped on ice :O
    XBO Gamertag: the teams Flag
    Microsoft Enthusiast; T-Mobile Revolutionist; Hip Hop Evolutionist
    Westiemom likes this.

My son dropped my phone whilst sitting in an Ikea chair (it has a wood frame that curves for arm rests and carrys on to form a square base directly below the chair) and about an inch of the left hand side of the screen had colored lines going up the screen, no crack in the actual screen its self (im guessing this is the gorilla glass) it was the digital display screen which is underneath the glass (apparantly).
    Had the screen completely replaced for £90 (apparantly the two screens cannot be seperated)
    My only issue with the phone since repair is that when I first got the phone back if I made a call or recieved on the screen would lock itself and I wouldnt be able to get back into it until the call had been ended by whoever I was talking to.
    However It seems as if the phone has somehow managed to stop doing it (every so often it might come up again) but Im still going to get it checked out as the repair came with a waranty incase of further damage.
    The only other problem with this phone is the annoying bell sound it sometimes makes, but it has done that since I first got it and I have read that it may be a software fault and is in the process of being fixed