Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 127
Like Tree43Likes
  1.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
    They have a point, some jeans and other pants do rub off quite easily. I'm on my second white case, my jeans rub them black and blue after not very long. We shouldn't be expecting our phones to be made out of indestructible material, if you're worried about it put a case on it. You can't seriously expect nothing to happen with hours of friction on your device every day in your pocket. They aren't made out of unobtanium.
    I can expect for the colour of my device not to change - it never has with any other smartphone, the HTC Mozart, HTC Titan, the Lumia 800 (I owned two, black and cyan) and the HTC sensation. Everyone else finds it odd. And no, I don't want to use a case - and I don't expect an indestructible phone. I do however expect HTC's design department to fully think through decisions before a release, most smartphone users carry their phones in a pocket, and the device isn't sold with a warning, OR a case. Hence, I expect that after a month, my device may be scratched, but not turning from blue to black.
    lunarcaustic likes this.
  2.    #27  
    Fyi I brought the HTC case, it doesn't feel the same, and a well designed device shouldn't need a case.
    Thanked by:
  3. oldpueblo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    681 Posts
    Global Posts
    840 Global Posts
    #28  
    No phone will stay unmarked without a case. Whatever layer is exposed will catch the scratches, chips, dents, and in this case constant friction probably mixed with a little sweat. There are plenty of tpu cases that are thin and unobtrusive, if you don't want to use them then your phone chassis will just have to pay the price. That's nothing new.
  4. olivercorb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    #29  
    I've noticed that on my 8X (which i got on Christmas Day) already has a black mark appearing, although it doesn't look like it could have been caused by dye. it's a small patch with well defined edges, and it isn't on the corner of the device; more on the side of it. if it was dye rubbing into the coating i'd expect it to be a more gradual staining rather than an actual mark that is black the whole way through...the best way to describe it is like an ink blot, but i haven't even used a pen since getting it so it definitely isn't that! i'll try to get a picture of it but I just wondered if anyone else was experiencing this sort of thing.
  5.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
    No phone will stay unmarked without a case. Whatever layer is exposed will catch the scratches, chips, dents, and in this case constant friction probably mixed with a little sweat. There are plenty of tpu cases that are thin and unobtrusive, if you don't want to use them then your phone chassis will just have to pay the price. That's nothing new.
    No, scratches are one thing. But the selling point of this device is the soft coating and colour. Why put a case over soft coating that every single reviewer has praised? I'd be happy if we were talking about 8 months of use, but less than a month is clearly a design fault/ As other people have mentioned.
  6.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by olivercorb View Post
    I've noticed that on my 8X (which i got on Christmas Day) already has a black mark appearing, although it doesn't look like it could have been caused by dye. it's a small patch with well defined edges, and it isn't on the corner of the device; more on the side of it. if it was dye rubbing into the coating i'd expect it to be a more gradual staining rather than an actual mark that is black the whole way through...the best way to describe it is like an ink blot, but i haven't even used a pen since getting it so it definitely isn't that! i'll try to get a picture of it but I just wondered if anyone else was experiencing this sort of thing.
    I have that on my blue device - and so do others, even on these forums. It's the same thing, and HTC are replacing/repairing handsets or telling others not to put them in a pocket.
  7. JohanX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #32  
    Has anyone found a good way to clean the dark spots off the 8X, or is it due to the colored coating wearing off?
  8. JamesDax3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    332 Posts
    Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    #33  
    I've had my California Blue 8X since early December and have no marks or scratches on it. What the **** are you people doing to your phones?
  9. dol4er's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #34  
    Mine is black, 2 months old, I carry it in my pocket only (without a case) and it is like brand new - no problems with the corners at all.
  10. jgraves4480's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    123 Posts
    #35  
    Carrying change, keys, toothpicks, etc. The usual stuff. Mines in an otterbox and has a few blemishes on the USB port. Can't seem to find the hole in the dark! Mine just seems to collect dust in or out of a case, but corners look new still.
  11. Villain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    #36  
    meh I'm done caring... needless to say I probably won't be purchasing another HTC product in the future.


    Just ordered the Incipio Silicrylic DualPro Hard Shell Case to cover up the ugly

    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/160944540374?...84.m1497.l2649
    64GUNSHIP likes this.
  12. inssane's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #37  
    Response to initial comment by HTC at the top:

    "OK, I will put the phone in my chest pocket from now on. Are drops covered under warranty though for when it falls out of my pocket every time I lean over? At least the coating won't come off."
  13.    #38  
    Just imagine if it were Apple telling people they shouldn't carry their iPhone in their pocket. Yet so many people are seemingly defending HTC for no valid reason - other than they "like" the company. Silly fanboys. Besides, it's a clear indication that a minority of us are facing this problem, whilst many users are not, therefore leading support for the argument that it is an issue with a certain core of 8S/8X handsets.
  14. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Here the HTC sticker that came on the screen of my HTC 7 Trophy: Phone Pocket Warning
    Funny. My Lumia 920 came with a warning to remove it from your pants pocket so the phone doesn't rip your pocket off.
  15.    #40  
    This might provide more insight for those who are affected:

    "Despite being sent pictures of my device, HTC have responded saying there is no design fault, and discolouration is due to "user mis-use", in that, I should be using a case, or not carrying my phone in my pocket.

    https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/914471 (
    Red 8X) - "Corners of my red HTC 8X are turning black"
    " "
    (Red 8X) – "I have a red 8X as well, and the corners are starting to bother me" " "
    (Blue 8X) – "I have the blue one...same problem"

    Dirty corners
    (Blue 8X) - "I have a Blue HTC 8X and I've noticed after a week the corners of the phone are really dirty and it's only been in my pockets. It's not like I have dirty pockets but the corners (all four) have started to stain black/dirty"
    " " (Yellow 8X) –"Hmm, I noticed this on the yellow display model at AT&T but assumed it was just since so many people handled that"
    " "(Blue 8X) - "Yep I am getting these marks aswell"
    " " (Blue 8X) – "Yes! I've had my Blue 8X for about a week and a half and all the corners have turned black. I hardly keep it in my pocket either - I hope it's not the colour wearing off!"
    " " (8X) –"I sent my phone back to the retailer to get a Black replacement"
    " " (Blue 8X) - "I bought the Blue 8X because every phone I've owned has been black and I wanted to have something different, I guess this has been a lesson learnt!"
    " " (8X) "This thing picks up dirt like CRAZY. Its the soft plastic skin. Thats why im making my own case"
    " " (8X) "I have 2, both the same, all 4 corners discolouring"

    Does your 8X have worn backing? What's the hardware revision number. (I’ve been careful not to post duplicate complaints) – (Blue 8X) "Worn Edges"
    " " (Red 8X) – "Red 8X, hardware revision 002. Corners are turning black after about three weeks of ownership"
    " " (Blue 8X) – "I have a Blue 8x Revision number 0002 for about 3 weeks now, black corners and edge near the volume rocker."
    " " (Red 8X) – "I have a Red Verizon 8X, worn bottom corners"
    " " (Blue 8X) – "Rev 0002 blue OEM (from Clove) - all four corners are black and some slight discolouration on the back. It's such a shame :("

    Does your 8X have worn backing? What's the hardware revision number. (2nd Blue 8X) – "2nd blue 8X and starting to get the dark corners"
    " " (Blue 8X) – "Having light fade issues on all 4 corners... Argh"
    " " (Blue 8X) – "Blue 0002 on Verizon. Some discoloration on the corners. Had it about a month, and I don't carry it in my pocket"
    " " (Blue 8X) – "Revision 0002 on Verizon, blue...Discoloration on corners and on the back"

    Anyone else having discolouring on corners of HTC 8X (Yet more complaints and owners)

    Phone getting dirty (Yet more, including pictures)

    Quality Problem - "Dirty Corners" - No Satement from HTC !!! - xda-developers (Yet more complaints, including pictures) "
  16. oldpueblo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    681 Posts
    Global Posts
    840 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suckdontblow View Post
    Just imagine if it were Apple telling people they shouldn't carry their iPhone in their pocket. Yet so many people are seemingly defending HTC for no valid reason - other than they "like" the company. Silly fanboys. Besides, it's a clear indication that a minority of us are facing this problem, whilst many users are not, therefore leading support for the argument that it is an issue with a certain core of 8S/8X handsets.
    Or certain pants material. :D
  17. Trappiste's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
    They have a point, some jeans and other pants do rub off quite easily. I'm on my second white case, my jeans rub them black and blue after not very long. We shouldn't be expecting our phones to be made out of indestructible material, if you're worried about it put a case on it. You can't seriously expect nothing to happen with hours of friction on your device every day in your pocket. They aren't made out of unobtanium.

    My Lumia 900 (white) has not suffered any kind of discolouration or abrasion during the six months I have carried it in three different jeans varying from blue to black in colour. So it is quite reasonable to expect that an expensive phone copes with people's pants.
  18. jaj324's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    #43  
    My 8x has been in my front pocket for about 2 months now. No staining or other damage whatsoever. This is obviously a personal hygiene issue.
    Sent from my HTC Titan 2 using Board Express
  19. AzelDazel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    28 Posts
    #44  
    i have been back and forth with their UK CS for a couple of weeks now, they are picking it up tomorrow to be taking into their repair center. No clue what will happen from there, if they decide it is my fault they will charge me. or send it back without repair and still charge me 25. So fingers crossed i guess..
  20.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaj324 View Post
    My 8x has been in my front pocket for about 2 months now. No staining or other damage whatsoever. This is obviously a personal hygiene issue.
    Sent from my HTC Titan 2 using Board Express
    Personal hygiene issue? Are you joking? Absolute fool.
    Thanked by:
    socialcarpet and ibbyj like this.
  21.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by AzelDazel View Post
    i have been back and forth with their UK CS for a couple of weeks now, they are picking it up tomorrow to be taking into their repair center. No clue what will happen from there, if they decide it is my fault they will charge me. or send it back without repair and still charge me 25. So fingers crossed i guess..
    I'm not letting them do that to me and you shouldn't either - look at the giant list I posted above, of so many users affected. I'm going to check the warranty statement tomorrow and see what it states about discolouration and jeans etc

    You should not be charged for this, with so many people experiencing this, it is not an isolated case of misuse.
  22. darthhen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    261 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    #47  
    This is the first time I heard HTC phones having this problem. HTC needs to step up here and be more responsible for its products.

    What a joke....
    Nokia Lumia 1020 on T-Mobile
  23. sharpcyrcle's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
    So....if I get a 8X...should I get it in black to be able to carry it in my jeans ? I am one who always wears Jeans, I can wear them to work and everywhere else, so I do. I hate phone cases, so I would NEVER use it as it makes phones too big.

    So what is my options ? Pull the phone apart, take back part(colored part) to someone who paints and put a coat of clear coat over it, then it should be fine, right ?

    Seriously, $549.99 for a phone and you put in your pocket and paint will come off ? Who designs these things ? I smell a class action lawsuit because of this....just a matter of time...

    With my current choices with Verizon, This would be the only option for me so I dont have much of a choice. The Nokia 822 screen is too low res for me, HD or bust... sorry. There must be a work around for it...
    Its the rubberized coating absorbing the ink from your jeans not the finish coming off. The plastic itself is blue not painted.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
  24. trobs29's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    11 Posts
    #49  
    From AllAboutWindowsPhone.com's preview of the 8X:

    In terms of materials, the 8X combines a polycarbonate unibody casing with HTC's distinctive soft touch finish, which encircles a gorilla glass protected screen.
    From the looks of it, it seems like HTC was trying to cut corners by using only black polycarbonate casings then using varying colors in the soft touch coating of the case to get the actual color they want. Not unlike Nokia's approach of using the same color througout the polycarbonate material that's making up the case, so the color won't change due to "rubbing" against the jeans inside pocket or chipping in the event of a scratch. Tsk, tsk.....
    socialcarpet likes this.
  25. sharpcyrcle's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by trobs29 View Post
    From AllAboutWindowsPhone.com's preview of the 8X:



    From the looks of it, it seems like HTC was trying to cut corners by using only black polycarbonate casings then using varying colors in the soft touch coating of the case to get the actual color they want. (Not?) unlike Nokia's approach of using the same color througout the polycarbonate material that's making up the case, so the color won't change due to "rubbing" against the jeans inside pocket or chipping in the event of a scratch. Tsk, tsk.....
    Take 8x, remove sim tray, inspect, note that plastic is blue all the way through the polycarbonate just like a Nokia. Read the post above yours. 😉
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-03-2012, 03:25 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 01:24 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-16-2011, 11:12 AM
  4. How many songs can you have on your phone in Zune?
    By buckeyeballer09 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 06:42 AM

Posting Permissions