Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    So as many of us know, Nokia HAS announced that Drive is supposed to come to all Windows Phone 8 Devices....but....where the **** is it?

I'm about to happily make the jump from Android to Windows Phone (Blue 8X on Verizon specifically, have been planning on it for a good while) but the only thing holding me back is a proper Navigation solution. I use Google Maps's amazing Navigation on my Galaxy Nexus frequently and it will be very hard to see it go.

Nokia Drive will happily fill that void, but where is it?

Thanks guys, and you can add any more encouraging words about Windows Phone to help me make the jump :)

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    From what an user posted in another thread, apparently according to HTC representatives, HTC is not going with Nokia Drive. They will be having their own HTC Locations

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ny_yankees View Post
    From what an user posted in another thread, apparently according to HTC representatives, HTC is not going with Nokia Drive. They will be having their own HTC Locations
    Are you sure? Because I saw another thread where a guy had a reply from HTC themselves saying that they were working out the possibility of bringing it through a software update.

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I believe its on the same thread as that one, here it is

Quote Originally Posted by TruPlaya187 View Post
    I spoke to a tech from HTC and they will not push the Nokia Drive for us HTC 8X users. They will come out with HTC Locations for WP8 but even if you already bought it for WP7.5, the tech wasn't clear I'd you had to re-purchase or an extra fee.
    Nokia Drive??
    Quote Originally Posted by kmann1994 View Post
    So as many of us know, Nokia HAS announced that Drive is supposed to come to all Windows Phone 8 Devices
    Supply a quote from Nokia, or it didn't happen. As far as I know this is false.

Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    Supply a quote from Nokia, or it didn't happen. As far as I know this is false.
    http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/...8-smartphones/

"Today, we are making Nokia Drive available to other Windows Phone 8 partners to offer a turn-by-turn navigation experience for people in over 110 countries"

Quote Originally Posted by kevin2577 View Post
    Nokia Drive for all Windows Phone 8 smartphones – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

"Today, we are making Nokia Drive available to other Windows Phone 8 partners to offer a turn-by-turn navigation experience for people in over 110 countries"
    There is just a tad difference between offer and give. They are offering to license it to other partners for a fee not give it away for free.

Here is the email that I have received from HTC:

Thank you for contacting HTC technical support.

Mathieu, congratulations on the purchase of your new Windows 8X, we will be more than glad to provide you with the information you required.

Actually the information you have is a little bit wrong, now that HTC will push “HTC locations” for the windows 8x.

HTC Locations allows you to download map data for offline use from a large number of countries just like Nokia Drive does. The GPS navigation speaks to you with voice prompts that tell you where to go even if you don’t have an internet connection. The HTC Locations app does sometimes provide different directions, but one thing that it has over the Nokia Drive app is the lane-changing prompts that tell you which side of the road you should be on.

The application will be release soon.

Nice, bring on Locations!

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Try navigon USA. It is better than drive, imo and was $49 but now just $29. Coming from android I like it a lot better than google maps.

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    what the diff between that and garmin street pilot?

Did they give any indications about cost for HTC locations? Isn't that what happened with the earlier Windows HTC devices. Everyone got what they thought was free navigation and then it ran out after 30 days and asked for money?

What scares me is that I bought the app while I had my HTC HD7 on WP7.5. And I asked the HTC tech again and this is the reply that he gave me:

In regards about HTC locations, I think you may have to download a patch or something like that, but I don’t think you will have to pay the full price on it.

From another reply from the HTC tech about HTC Locations for WP8. I told him that I bought the app when I had my HTC HD7 on WP7.5 and this is the response I got...which I don't like:

"In regards about HTC locations, I think you may have to download a patch or something like that, but I don’t think you will have to pay the full price on it."

Sorry to have double posted...my pc crashed and I thought that the post didn't worked.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    today i 've had install app free Bingle Maps in HTC 8s, it's have data Nokia Maps

@tmn0 - Nokia Drive is the piece that does voice-guiided turn-by-turn directions - as does HTC locations.

@Truplaya187, @ultimateone - I think the question has been answered then, it's not going to be free, so unless you bought it before, probably best to go with Garmin or Navigon.

What sucks is that the way that Nokia and Microsoft told that Nokia Drive would be on all WP8 devices....offered it to other OEMs. In my opinion since Nokia provides the Maps for WP8 they should of put Drive, Maps....in the built-in OS or at least put it in the Store so people can still buy it if they want to.

What sucks is that the way that Nokia and Microsoft told that Nokia Drive would be on all WP8 devices....offered it to other OEMs. In my opinion since Nokia provides the Maps for WP8 they should of put Drive, Maps....in the built-in OS or at least put it in the Store so people can still buy it if they want to.
    I have to agree, but I don't know what the business model is here. I am sure Nokia would rather you buy a Nokia phone than just buy Nokia Drive from the store. They also don't want to directly compete with Garmin, Navigon etc. who use their maps in their navigation programs / devices. So if Nokia starts undercutting everyone on GPS apps, then they are going to hurt their NUMEROUS partners who buy their maps. So this is really a much bigger than HTC Windows phones, it's a big part of Nokia's business.

In saying that, I don't know why the heck they said they'd offer it to other OEM's. Clearly they couldn't work out the right deal / terms. It's really hurt Nokia in a lot of ways because I think a lot of people bought the 8X over another device, thinking they may get Nokia Drive. People that have bought the 8X under that assumption are also unsure who to be angry with, Nokia? HTC? Microsoft? In the end, you just don't get what you wanted.

It's easy for me to say 'just buy the Nokia', but I get that if you want an HD Screen on Verizon you only have one choice. In saying that, there is going to be more and more stuff coming from Nokia. Going forward it seems there will be more options for devices though.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish54 View Post
    I have to agree, but I don't know what the business model is here. I am sure Nokia would rather you buy a Nokia phone than just buy Nokia Drive from the store. They also don't want to directly compete with Garmin, Navigon etc. who use their maps in their navigation programs / devices. So if Nokia starts undercutting everyone on GPS apps, then they are going to hurt their NUMEROUS partners who buy their maps. So this is really a much bigger than HTC Windows phones, it's a big part of Nokia's business.

In saying that, I don't know why the heck they said they'd offer it to other OEM's. Clearly they couldn't work out the right deal / terms. It's really hurt Nokia in a lot of ways because I think a lot of people bought the 8X over another device, thinking they may get Nokia Drive. People that have bought the 8X under that assumption are also unsure who to be angry with, Nokia? HTC? Microsoft? In the end, you just don't get what you wanted.

It's easy for me to say 'just buy the Nokia', but I get that if you want an HD Screen on Verizon you only have one choice. In saying that, there is going to be more and more stuff coming from Nokia. Going forward it seems there will be more options for devices though.
    I totally agree with you on that! Didn't think for a second that if Nokia did that then it would of been a battle with the other companies that are working with Nokia for the maps. At least if we would had the original map application that was on WP7.5 (the built-in one). I know it is there but there is no more turn-by-turn navigation and when driving the map doesn't rotate so you can stay centered on the map and know exactly where you need to turn.

I've asked WindowsPhoneSupport on Twitter and said that option is no longer available....WTH!!!!! It's not an OS improvement at all!!!!! So now the only thing that we can do is wait for HTC Locations to come out or another Map App that will at least take the advantage of being able to start the app from the search (Drive - use an app) option.

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    This is my first HTC, so I don't have much experience with the company. Anyone ever used HTC Locations before? How does it compare to Navigon or Garminstreet pilot?

Quote Originally Posted by ny_yankees View Post
    This is my first HTC, so I don't have much experience with the company. Anyone ever used HTC Locations before? How does it compare to Navigon or Garminstreet pilot?
    I used it on my HTC HD7 WP7.5 and honestly it worked pretty well!! I can't tell you the comparison between HTC Locations, Navigon or Garmin since Navigon is not available in Canada for WP and I don't feel like spending more money for a GPS app like Garmin.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin2577 View Post
    Nokia Drive for all Windows Phone 8 smartphones – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

As BigRThanHuge already mentioned, making Nokia Drive available to OEM's that wish to license it is entirely different from Nokia Drive coming to all WP devices. The exact meaning of the post you linked to was discussed in more detail here.
    Last edited by a5cent; 12-21-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Neither Microsoft or Nokia ever made the statement you're saying they did. That is why I asked for a link. Microsoft could have communicated better, but apparently many readers also struggle with reading comprehension. Both issues combined result in a lot of misinformation...
    Last edited by a5cent; 12-21-2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Spelling

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    This is what I saw on that same thread you posted:

Thanks for contacting HTC!

Nokia said that Nokia Drive will be available for all Windows 8 phones, this however is up to the manufacturer, we are currently reviewing the possibility of bringing Nokia Drive in our future releases and as an update. Meanwhile, you may try some applications on the Windows marketplace that have voice GPS navigation such as Garmin Streetpilot.

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I used it on my HTC HD7 WP7.5 and honestly it worked pretty well!! I can't tell you the comparison between HTC Locations, Navigon or Garmin since Navigon is not available in Canada for WP and I don't feel like spending more money for a GPS app like Garmin.
    Thanks Im coming from a Droid, and google maps have been very good for me. Im hoping Locations is just as well and htc gets it to us asap
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast