Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. Pikezer1337's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    19 Posts
       #1  
    I've never had any reboots really for the most part, but now that I am home for Christmas break I've been having about 5 everyday and I believe I found out why. Everytime I get a random reboot I go to check my account and it says my Facebook account failed to sync about a minute ago which is right around the time of the reboot. This is everytime I get one. The reason I believe it never happens at college is because I don't have wifi so it's always turned off, but at home I have it turned on and when it's turned on the account trys to sync but when I'm doing nothing and my phone is locked it loses the connection and whenever it trys to sync my Facebook when its locked it doesn't have a connection and it somehow gets an error because it can't sync and therefore reboots. Now I could be COMPLETELY COMPLETELY wrong but this is just what I have noticed. So for anyone else having reboots it's something to look into. All I can truly confirm is that after every random reboot it says my facebook tried to sync a minute ago and failed to.
  2. ny_yankees's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    227 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    #2  
    I remember when 8x first came out, the first thread about random booting issue came, the guy in that thread said that he deleted his facebook account and his random rebooting stopped. So you could be very well correct
  3. Richard Gase's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #3  
    Hello there,

    I have several reboots every dag. I am going to remove my Facebook account to see of this resolves the reboot issue. I let you know my findings.

    Regards,

    Richard
  4. Enamul Haque's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #4  
    I had my first restart since I bought the 8x last week.

    I think the problem is related to account syncing and may not necessarily be linked to facebook or wifi. I had two restarts in a row. On the second restart I had no signal when it started up and it rebooted again. Then I put the phone in airplane mode and the restarts stopped immediately. When I came back home I turned off the airplane mode and connected to WIFI. It seems to be working fine now. I think there might be a nasty bug with account syncing (may be only with facebook) with a stale connection.
  5. snakebitten's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    64 Posts
    #5  
    The power of the forum!

    Regardless of the outcome of this thread, without the collective data, each consumer would be at the mercy of the knowledge of a single customer service employee's knowledge. (or lack of)

    Instead, this process can result in the consumer knowing more than the manufacturer!

    I hope you guys nail it!
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  
    I have been using some 8X where at times I switched to GSM only with WiFi on (but off in lockscreen) Was before I got the portico update. I had no reboots.

    However, those of you who have reboots. If you switch off your phone and remove the SIM tray... does your phone start on its own?
    There are reports all over that some phones seem to have defective SIM trays which when you touch them can lead to reboots.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
  7. SaucePolicy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
    #7  
    Just adding my data to the thread. I have no facebook and have never had a random reboot in my 3 week old 8X. OS version 9905, firmware 10110.
  8. Enamul Haque's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolknight1968 View Post
    I have been using some 8X where at times I switched to GSM only with WiFi on (but off in lockscreen) Was before I got the portico update. I had no reboots.

    However, those of you who have reboots. If you switch off your phone and remove the SIM tray... does your phone start on its own?
    There are reports all over that some phones seem to have defective SIM trays which when you touch them can lead to reboots.
    Like I mentioned somewhere else, sim tray doesn't seem to be the root cause of the reboot issue most people are experiencing here.
  9. Villain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    #9  
    I thought it was this as well BUT ran it without facebook and still was rebooting.


    before swapping the device the main cause seemed to be 2 things... 1 - when my signal got really really low. 2 - traveling and seem to be rebooting when it switched between signal towers.


    swapped my device and has been over 2 weeks without a single reboot. (and thats without the update) so I think it has something to do with the antena
  10. Enamul Haque's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #10  
    Could be because of some sort of syncing when the signal issue is happening ? A consistent reproduction of the problem is needed before we can be sure of the root cause.

    The thing is I didn't have reboots for more than a week until I traveled to a remote location where it rebooted twice and since then it hasn't happened when I moved back this weekend(2 days). So the fact that you haven't had any reboots after the phone swap could just be pure luck where you haven't hit the condition necessary to trigger the restart.

    Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    I thought it was this as well BUT ran it without facebook and still was rebooting.


    before swapping the device the main cause seemed to be 2 things... 1 - when my signal got really really low. 2 - traveling and seem to be rebooting when it switched between signal towers.


    swapped my device and has been over 2 weeks without a single reboot. (and thats without the update) so I think it has something to do with the antena
  11. Villain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    #11  
    happened in the exact same locations every time... driving home from work on a highway 4 locations every single day in the exact same spots AND I work in a casino surviellance room so it's pretty much a bomb proof bunker and causes celular signals to dip to 1 bar or none.


    I suffered it out and tested it to death for over 3 weeks including running the phone for a few days with no accounts/apps or anything on it.
  12. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #12  
    Like Villain i tested mine to death over a 3 week period and tried every possible combination that i could think of. - In the end I had my phone on my desk with no apps installed, no email accounts set up, no background tasks running, wifi off and was just using the phone to call and text and it would still reboot just sitting idle on my desk at work. The update seems to have fixed all my problems - including the sim error issue. Gone 4 full days with no issues and i re-installed everything after the update Friday morning.

    I dont think there was any one set condition that caused the reboots more a combination of factors that would be completely random to every user. It also seems like the update hasnt worked for everyone looking at the forums so it would seem theres still a possible hardware/software fault out there that wasnt picked up.
  13. Enamul Haque's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #13  
    martinmc78, you probably have an unlocked 8x that doesn't have LTE. Isn't that right ? That would indicate a difference in hardware between yours and mine. The thing is when I'm in my area (Seattle) I almost always have LTE and because i have an unlimited data plan I don't really care about wifi. The restarts I had was only when I didn't have LTE.
  14. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #14  
    No my 8X is O2 branded. No LTE though as its not activated in the UK until spring next year.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express
  15. djSupport's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #15  
    Hi Martin, i'm on o2 too, lasr night got an update which i belive is the fix for this issue!
  16. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by djSupport View Post
    Hi Martin, i'm on o2 too, lasr night got an update which i belive is the fix for this issue!
    dj I got the portico update last friday - havent had a problem with my phone since - I was merely posting in this thread as i had around three weeks of issues with up to 15 reboots a day so had time to test out a lot of theories and combinations of theories and just plain dumb ideas to try and get the phone to work properly
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    dj I got the portico update last friday - havent had a problem with my phone since - I was merely posting in this thread as i had around three weeks of issues with up to 15 reboots a day so had time to test out a lot of theories and combinations of theories and just plain dumb ideas to try and get the phone to work properly
    martin,

    I'm glad everything is working out for you now, but I can't refrain from saying "I told you so". Remember how you swore up and down that it wasn't a software problem causing the reboots?.....
  18. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    martin,

    I'm glad everything is working out for you now, but I can't refrain from saying "I told you so". Remember how you swore up and down that it wasn't a software problem causing the reboots?.....
    You could have just kept quiet. Wouldnt have come across as looking like an arrogant d*ck.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    You could have just kept quiet. Wouldnt have come across as looking like an arrogant d*ck.
    Like I said, glad to see everything worked out for you. =)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 05:29 PM
  2. The status of wp sales came in my Vodafone store came in.
    By 12Danny123 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2012, 01:30 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-10-2012, 02:43 AM
  4. What's the best way to take care of my phones battery?
    By litepink in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-18-2012, 05:16 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 07:46 PM

Posting Permissions