I depend on my phone for sat nav. Prior to my 8x I used Tomtom and Waze on my iPhone. Despite the lack of navigation apps for WP I'm quite happy with Navigon.

The problem I'm having it this phone just drinks up power. With my iPhone I could quite happily use it for sat nav, music and the battery would get charged up a little by the time I got to my destination. With my 8x I'm luck if its not gone into battery saver mode.

I currently use a 1amp USB charger in my car. Is there any point in trying something like a 2amp charger. Can the 8x make use of the extra power or is 1amp its limit?

Check the charger that came with your phone.
    Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

The HTC charger that came with it is 1amp.

Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    You need some kind of car charger that is not designed for iPhone because apple have different wiring that rest of the world. You will only get 500ma max on those chargers which is not enough.

1amp is more than enough. Get something for android or something from HTC.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express

Yeah I recently found out the USB port off my OEM satnav in the car couldn't even charge the 8X. I bought one of these and it has worked great with the phone. I am not doing navigation with the phone but I stream BT audio and the phone still charges.

Amazon.com: Satechi ST-2412 Car Lighter USB Charger Adapter with Smart Converter for iPad 2 & 3, iPhone 4S & 5, Samsung Galaxy S II & S III, BlackBerry Playbook, HTC Flyer, Android Phones (2.1 AMP): Cell Phones & Accessories

Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Amazon.com: Scosche powerPLUG Low-Profile USB Car Charger for iPad and iPhone 5 (USBC2M): Computers & Accessories

Buy this, go nuts, thank me later.

I've been using it for several months, and I'm a truck driver, so I use GPS and audio streaming constantly. Worked great on both my Androd and iOS devices, as well as my Nokia L900. Tried it on my 8x Friday niight and today, and works there, too. I also have one in my wife's car, for her OneX.

Thanks for the suggestions. Managed to find a 2.1amp charger on amazon for a reasonable price. Hopefully does the trick.

Keep an eye on that battery. You may have some heat issues that can hurt your battery by dumping all that extra juice in there. If were me feel it about every 5-10 min.

And just curious, but why not just use the Bing maps that's already baked in? Is what I do.
    From the CO and my 8X

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juanitoriv View Post
    Keep an eye on that battery. You may have some heat issues that can hurt your battery by dumping all that extra juice in there. If were me feel it about every 5-10 min.

And just curious, but why not just use the Bing maps that's already baked in? Is what I do.
    Shouldn't make any difference. Just because the charger is capable of putting out 2.1A, the phone will only draw what is required to charge the battery. All modern charging circuits in phones should take care of this. I use my iPad charger (rated 2.1A) to charge my Focus S all the time and it never gets unduly warm and hasn't caused any battery issues at all.

Good to know Wood. However, the key word is shouldn't. I just remember venting cells from my RC cars back in the day. Besides a smidgen of precaution never hurt anybody.
    From the CO and my 8X

I'm using a car charger that was for my old iPad 3...and my phone drains slowly when I was using NAV and Bluetooth audio.

Now got a Kensington PowerBolt 2.1a charger and still getting the problem. This really is a deal breaker for me :(

I do suggest looking for nearest repair center or an online Sat Nav repairs center. They do fix different kinds of problem not charging, charging connector broken or damaged, no power, no gps signal, etc, you better check them out maybe they can do some solutions from your problem
    Quote Originally Posted by hailst0rm View Post
    I depend on my phone for sat nav. Prior to my 8x I used Tomtom and Waze on my iPhone. Despite the lack of navigation apps for WP I'm quite happy with Navigon.

The problem I'm having it this phone just drinks up power. With my iPhone I could quite happily use it for sat nav, music and the battery would get charged up a little by the time I got to my destination. With my 8x I'm luck if its not gone into battery saver mode.

I currently use a 1amp USB charger in my car. Is there any point in trying something like a 2amp charger. Can the 8x make use of the extra power or is 1amp its limit?
    If you want navigation, the Lumia's are for you.