Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
Like Tree5Likes
  1. ThaFunk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
       #1  
    So I am not able to get directions from the Maps application when I select "directions from my location" from the location "card." I get kicked to the app store where the only app is the crappy VZ Navigator that is available to download. I will, however, get directions if I select the directions icon that is among the buttons at the bottom of the app in the Maps view. Is there any way around this? Or did Verizon and MS gimp the functionality? This is a little ridiculous considering that my Trophy can do this but my 8X can't.
  2. #2  
    What is wrong with VZ Navigator, other than the fact that it isn't free?
  3. ThaFunk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
       #3  
    Well, for one, I am not paying Verizon for functionality that they specifically took out of WP8, especially for an inferior mapping solution like VZ Navigator. Just look at the reviews it gets in the app store. Secondly, this just seems like nothing other than a money grab, Verizon's desperate attempt to keep from becoming a "dumb pipe." It is just irritating to me that a feature that I have had work perfectly since I had my Trophy with WP7.0 is junked in WP8. For crying out loud, this isn't Android!
  4. Brett Jackson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    19 Posts
    #4  
    I've had the same complaint ever since I got my 8X. Doesn't look like a lot of people understand or even care about this problem though because everyone has Lumias lol. I wasn't in a position to switch carriers and didn't want to go with the 822 after trying out the device in the store. I love the 8X, don't get me wrong, but Microsoft needs to address this lack of navigation. They are trying to bring more people to Windows Phone, but they are pissing off some of their current customers by not bringing the same functionality over from WP7, like integrated navigation.

    As it stands now, any WP that isn't a Lumia do not have any integrated navigation, unless they want to use VZ navigator which costs a monthy fee, so I'm not sure what people on other carriers will do. It is very frustrating because at times I have been tempted to go back to my trophy, which is just sad. I keep having people say that it is HTC's fault for not providing their own alternative, but I don't agree with this. Microsoft had decent, working, integrated navigation before, and they promised to have it again with the new Nokia stuff, but then that ended up being exclusive to certain phones. I thought Microsoft wanted Windows Phone as a platform to take off and do well, not just Nokia's phones. Maybe I was wrong? I guess we will see what happens in the coming months.
    TruPlaya187 and Koato8 like this.
  5. nmercy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    65 Posts
    #5  
    I'm kind of curious if from a programming perspective a third party app has to hook in, kind of like how iheartradio shows up in the music app.
  6. Brett Jackson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    19 Posts
    #6  
    I was wondering the same thing, because there are some decent and even some free navigation apps already there on Windows Phone, so maybe those developers just need to update their app to be able to tie in with bing search and local scout? All it is doing is passing the address and auto launching the nav process, so it doesn't seem like it would take much. While I still would like Microsoft to take a stance and provide some form of integrated, built in navigation for all WP8 devices like they used to have with WP7, it would very much ease the frustration if I could use a third party app instead, but also have it integrate with the existing search tools on the device.
    TruPlaya187 likes this.
  7. #7  
    HEY

    when your in the maps and have an address flagged, instead of clicking on the flag and then hitting directions, stay on the map screen with the location flagged, and on the bottom bar click directions. This will give you the built in turn by turn directions we are all used to!
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
    Thanked by:
  8. MrUniq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    #8  
    I think this is an example of Microsoft doing things in a modular way which makes since somewhat from a plugin/development point of view..but is confusing to customers.
  9. Dakow#WP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    20 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    HEY

    when your in the maps and have an address flagged, instead of clicking on the flag and then hitting directions, stay on the map screen with the location flagged, and on the bottom bar click directions. This will give you the built in turn by turn directions we are all used to!
    I had the same issue and this is the fix. You do not get voice nav and you cannot get directions from the location card (why I have no idea) but from the map screen you can hit directions.
  10. Darkgift's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    295 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    #10  
    They should give an option to use Maps or 3rd party apps when clicking from the location card...keeps us happy and keeps Verizon(and any other 3rd party nav app that codes to be used in that feature) happy.
    Sprint (9 1/2 years) - Samsung SPH-A460, Sanyo PM-8200(S), Samsung A900 "Blade" & Samsung SPH-M620 "Upstage" simultaneously (2 lines), Samsung Instinct & Samsung Upstage simultaneously (2 lines), Palm Pre & Palm Pixi simultaneously (2 lines), HTC Evo, HTC Arrive::::Verizon (since March 2012) - iPhone 4s, HP Pre3.....[S]Looking forward to going back[/S] Finally back to Windows Phone with the HTC 8x [S](iPhone 4s as work line, HP Pre3 to play with)[/S]...now on a Nokia Lumia Icon. Love my Gen 1 Surface RT!!
  11. ThaFunk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakow#WP View Post
    I had the same issue and this is the fix. You do not get voice nav and you cannot get directions from the location card (why I have no idea) but from the map screen you can hit directions.
    This is not a fix, still no turn by turn directions. The map/directions do not update nor fixate in your location, nor orient the map to the direction you are driving; ALL these features are available in wp7. My wife has my old trophy. The fact that my 1.5 yr old phone is a better GPS solution that a cutting edge "flagship" phone is just ludicrous.

    WTF was MS thinking. They have made one of the most important features of a smartphone's ecosystem CRAP. I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned in any of the reviews.
    TruPlaya187 and Koato8 like this.
  12. Darkgift's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    295 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    #12  
    Yeah...thus shud definitely be addressed. This feature shud not gave been removed.
    Sprint (9 1/2 years) - Samsung SPH-A460, Sanyo PM-8200(S), Samsung A900 "Blade" & Samsung SPH-M620 "Upstage" simultaneously (2 lines), Samsung Instinct & Samsung Upstage simultaneously (2 lines), Palm Pre & Palm Pixi simultaneously (2 lines), HTC Evo, HTC Arrive::::Verizon (since March 2012) - iPhone 4s, HP Pre3.....[S]Looking forward to going back[/S] Finally back to Windows Phone with the HTC 8x [S](iPhone 4s as work line, HP Pre3 to play with)[/S]...now on a Nokia Lumia Icon. Love my Gen 1 Surface RT!!
  13. ThaFunk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
       #13  
    Anyone know of any good navigation maps that are free? I've resorted to gMaps thus far. *Facepalm*
  14. daverath's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
    #14  
    GPS Voice Navigation- GPS Voice Navigation | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

    The trial is free, it just can't plot routes over 12 miles or something. I took a long trip last weekend, and simply looked at Maps to see the highways I needed to take and then when I got within 10 miles of my exit, I switched over to GPS Voice Navigation for the exit and final streets. It worked perfectly. My favorite feature is that you can choose which maps you like between google, bing, nokia, and navteq.

    My biggest reason I don't use it anymore is because it doesn't support 720p. I'm using VZ Navigator for the free month to gather info for a review, then I'm holding out hope for HTC Locations to come and be integrated with Maps.
  15. jasqid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    479 Posts
    Global Posts
    528 Global Posts
    #15  
    So, has anyone installed say the Garmin app and if so, does it still want you to down VZ navigator?
    I downloaded the trial (I didn't want to pay the $30 if it doesn't work) and the trial does not launch when tapping "get directions". :(
  16. pdt
    pdt is offline
    pdt's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    #16  
    Yes, even if you download Garmin or something else, VZ Navigator is the only voice navigation you can access from the Maps app. I bought Garmin and was pretty unhappy with it - very slow, some features don't work, operational bugs, and the data set is very old. I also used VZ Navigator for a few days and it is awful. Now I'm using GPS Voice Navigation, which is $7. It's more basic than Garmin, but has a better data set and works well (and is very fast). But I think we're all hoping Nokia or HTC or Microsoft will provide a better alternative.
  17. Koato8's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #17  
    This is absolutely wrong. Every other major smartphone has a decent map/nav application for free. WP8 needs it's own maps regardless of the carrier/brand to compete.
  18. flip923's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    #18  
    I agree with ThaFunk...my trophy had this and it was one of my most heavily use apps. I move up to the 'flagship' HTC 8X on VZN and it gets replaced with some basic, text based directions output?C'mon, really. If WP8 wants to get some traction and move out of 5th place they need to do some basic blocking and tackling stuff like this. Especially when it was ALREADY there!!!
  19. ny_yankees's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    227 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    #19  
    My parents have VZ navigator on their phone. It is absolutely the most garbage crap you can find. I think a 7 year old most likely programmed that. I immediately deleted it from my phone. I am very pissed that WP8 does not have its own navigation system.

    PLEASE GOOGLE MAKE A Google map for WP8 ASAP!! I love google maps, the best one out there
  20. obijuan23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    #20  
    Another example of a feature available in WinPhone7 that has been removed. It's hard to recommend this platform when little gotchas like this keep popping up. I'd understand if this was their first crack at smartphones, but there's little excuse now.
  21. obijuan23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Jackson View Post
    I've had the same complaint ever since I got my 8X. Doesn't look like a lot of people understand or even care about this problem though because everyone has Lumias lol. I wasn't in a position to switch carriers and didn't want to go with the 822 after trying out the device in the store. I love the 8X, don't get me wrong, but Microsoft needs to address this lack of navigation. They are trying to bring more people to Windows Phone, but they are pissing off some of their current customers by not bringing the same functionality over from WP7, like integrated navigation.

    As it stands now, any WP that isn't a Lumia do not have any integrated navigation, unless they want to use VZ navigator which costs a monthy fee, so I'm not sure what people on other carriers will do. It is very frustrating because at times I have been tempted to go back to my trophy, which is just sad. I keep having people say that it is HTC's fault for not providing their own alternative, but I don't agree with this. Microsoft had decent, working, integrated navigation before, and they promised to have it again with the new Nokia stuff, but then that ended up being exclusive to certain phones. I thought Microsoft wanted Windows Phone as a platform to take off and do well, not just Nokia's phones. Maybe I was wrong? I guess we will see what happens in the coming months.
    I think Microsoft should just buy Nokia at this point. It's really kind of ridiculous. HTC's focus on the 8X isn't really there, at least not to the extent it is for the One X, One X+, One VX..... (really?) Buy Nokia, promote it, and forget the other OEMs. At least then this fracture would make sense.
  22. Koato8's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #22  
    If ms buys Nokia then maybe they won't at some point release android handsets, that would shoot WP8 in the foot. I am pretty sure I remember.something about if Nokia doesn't do well enough with WP8 then they will throw android on their phones.
  23. #23  
    Just saying, the only con about VZ Navigator is that it isn't free.

    If you have not tried the app, you're missing out. I use it everyday for work and it's the best navigation app I've ever used on a smartphone. It utilizes the metro-design guidelines to the full extent and the final result is a beautiful app. It works exactly like a Garmin would.

    Do not just go by the reviews. Try the app yourself. I think that it's well worth the $2 a month because of how great the app is.
    Thanked by:
  24. nathanb131's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    Just saying, the only con about VZ Navigator is that it isn't free.

    If you have not tried the app, you're missing out. I use it everyday for work and it's the best navigation app I've ever used on a smartphone. It utilizes the metro-design guidelines to the full extent and the final result is a beautiful app. It works exactly like a Garmin would.

    Do not just go by the reviews. Try the app yourself. I think that it's well worth the $2 a month because of how great the app is.
    Thanks for the tip. I generally dismiss Verizon apps because of their past garbage. Probably won't use it anyway but good to know it might actually be an option.
  25. Ryan32's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #25  
    I'm really hoping Microsoft fixes this soon. I think I read somewhere here that there was a specific API or something that needed to be used to show up in the list, and only VZ nav had used it so far... Supposedly once the other nav apps add this, they'll show up and link properly.

    If that isn't the case, i'd be pretty upset... Microsoft and/or Verizon need to fix this. This is the only phone where core functionality is forced to use only this app, and at a monthly cost even... Any other phone they sell doesn't have this restraint.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Diagnostic Menu on the HTC 8x
    By theWindowsCow in forum HTC 8X
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 02:52 AM
  2. What is your Favorite App not currently available on WP8?
    By emergenic in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 151
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 02:13 PM
  3. Newegg has VZW HTC 8X listed for $129.99!
    By db4williams in forum HTC 8X
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM
  4. Gmaps and Maps app not displaying anything
    By Nemesis-X in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 07:41 PM
  5. Purchased app not showing up on device
    By mrasmussen in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-29-2011, 11:43 PM

Posting Permissions