Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51
Like Tree28Likes
  1. nunyazz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    195 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
       #1  
    I understand that the resolution has changed on the 8X and that some apps have not updated their apps for the new format, but why is the homescreen defaulting to have the gap at the top of the screen?
    Press the Windows(home) button and it defaults to this:



    Instead of this:


    Doesn't make sense to me.
    ut_jd and Spicymikey like this.
  2. Coffee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    450 Posts
    #2  
    Because it then cuts off a partial tile there at the bottom, which other people would then complain about.
    Thanked by:
  3. ut_jd's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #3  
    Also, they use the top area for the notifications as they come through. I'm with you though, I wish it would line up right against the clock.
    Thanked by:
    wpn00b likes this.
  4. #4  
    And Microsoft don't want toast pop ups overlapping tiles as it would look pretty nasty.
    Thanked by:
    wpn00b likes this.
  5. sinime's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    2,459 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,775 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Because it then cuts off a partial tile there at the bottom, which other people would then complain about.
    On the 920, the default view when returning to the start screen has a cut tiles at the bottom...

    wp_ss_20121129_0001.jpg
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8), Meme 8 Ball (WP8)

    Thanked by:
  6. Coffee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    450 Posts
    #6  
    Just saying it wouldn't matter however it was displayed, someone would find fault in it. It's just not a big deal.
  7. Spicymikey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    36 Posts
    #7  
    I agree. It's a terrible use of screen space and screen design. Noticed it the moment I purchased my 920. Thought there might be some setting to change but now realize there isn't. There really is no argument to support doing it this way.

    BTW, I actually think its a bug. It's not coming from Windows. The HTC doesn't do this. The idea of wasting this space at the top of the screen all the time, so occasional toasts don't overlap, seems silly. I'm hoping Nokia fixes this in an upcoming patch.
    SergeMcG likes this.
  8. Workbook89's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicymikey View Post
    I agree. It's a terrible use of screen space and screen design. Noticed it the moment I purchased my 920. Thought there might be some setting to change but now realize there isn't. There really is no argument to support doing it this way.

    BTW, I actually think its a bug. It's not coming from Windows. The HTC doesn't do this. The idea of wasting this space at the top of the screen all the time, so occasional toasts don't overlap, seems silly. I'm hoping Nokia fixes this in an upcoming patch.
    I can confirm that the HTC 8X does exactly the same thing. As suggested earlier, it is likely "reserved" space for incoming notifications (i.e. SMS/texts, etc.).

    I too find myself lining it up just under the clock...
  9. Spicymikey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    36 Posts
    #9  
    Thanks for correcting my bad info. I admit I was going by the screenshots on the marketing material. All the Nokia's show the home screen as it appears after pressing the windows button. All the HTC's show the screen as we would want/expect it to appear. I don't own an HTC and was assuming something I shouldn't.

    Regardless of who's doing it, it's a bad idea. So Microsoft still hasn't learned how to manage screen real estate yet. Realized wasting all that space on the right to simply display an arrow was bad, but now are wasting space at the top.

    Oh well, still no regrets moving from my iPhone of 5 years. I love this OS and the 920
  10. SaucePolicy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
    #10  
    That's how it's supposed to be. It''s that way so you can fit 3 large and 1 small tile or 7 small tiles vertically . If it lined up with the clock it would add an extra 1/4th of a tile which gets cut off. I think that would be more annoying.
  11. Spicymikey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    36 Posts
    #11  
    No that's the problem. Maybe it works like that on your phone. What do you own? But on my Lumia 920 it only shows 6.5 1/4 sized tiles (like the OP showed in his screen shot).

    Messes wiith my OCD and I have to nudge the screen up to make it display the full 7 after I press the windows button :(
  12. Spicymikey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    36 Posts
    #12  
    Here's a screenshot of my phone. This is how it looks after pressing the windows/home button. Notice that you only see 6 1/2 tiles. If you move it all up to just under the clock it fits 7 tiles perfectly. Yes an incoming message overlays the top tiles momentarily, but that can't be a good enough reason to waste all that space.

    Attachment 26892

    Workbook said its the same on the HTC. I'll have to take his word for it but all the literature, the OPs original screenshot, and sinime's screenshot seem to suggest that the HTC does not have this problem. I agree the HTC shows the wasted space at the top, but they must have been smart enough to design the screen format to ensure 7 full tiles displayed INCLUDING the space at the top. Nokia, on the other hand, was not so smart I guess
  13. absonj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
    #13  
    I have the HTC 8X and when I push home, I get that blank section, but it shows solid tiles, no cut at the bottom (I have 1 row quarter, 2 rows half and 1 row full) showing a full tile at the bottom. If I move it up to be right below the clock, then the top tiles from the next screen are cut off.

    I don't think its a big deal. God knows how much wasted screen space was on my TB!
  14. SaucePolicy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
    #14  
    Sorry I thought we were all talking about the 8X since this is the 8X sub-forum. That's what I have and it fits 7 small tiles after pressing home. Maybe us 8X owners get 7 tiles but you guys get all the sweet Nokia apps.
  15. Spicymikey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    36 Posts
    #15  
    Big deal? No, definitely not. But its a mistake for sure. And you're right, a little crossover posting going on with me and sinime talking about the 920. Sorry bout that :)
  16. clindhartsen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    #16  
    That space has been present in both Windows Phone 7 and 8 and is nothing new. If nothing else, the extra whitespace is nice to make the screen a little more comfortable than your typical Android or iPhone would be in demanding that space to fill. This even translates up to Windows 8, and if you think about the XBOX there is plenty of space around those tiles as well. It's part of the design.
    Last edited by clindhartsen; 01-16-2013 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Adding further details/comments
    Thanked by:
    Sam Sabri, iSicle and wpn00b like this.
  17. Sam Sabri's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by clindhartsen View Post
    That space has been present in both Windows Phone 7 and 8 and is nothing new. If nothing else, the extra whitespace is nice to make the screen a little more comfortable than your typical Android or iPhone would be in demanding that space to fill. This even translates up to Windows 8, and if you think about the XBOX there is plenty of space around those tiles as well. It's part of the design.
    and Chris laying the law down.

    People, negative space is your friend. Embrace it. Love it. Be it.
    Sam Sabri
    Managing Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email - sam@wpcentral.com (email me vs. PMs in the Forums. I'll see it quicker through email)
    Twitter - @samsabri
    Socl - Sam Sabri
    Thanked by:
    wpn00b 
    wpn00b likes this.
  18. Spicymikey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    36 Posts
    #18  
    negative space = wasted space = an artists view of the world <> productivity :)

    I'm not looking for a pretty picture. I want a tool that makes my life more efficient. Please get rid of the wasted space Microsoft.
    Thanked by:
  19. soaringthor's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    #19  
    Also, to clarify, the 8X and the Lumia 920 have different aspect ratios. Both have the black space at the top - this is by design. The Windows 8 Start screen does the same thing: as it scrolls left to right, there's empty space at the far left so that icons aren't scrunched up against the edge of the screen. I like it.
    The reason that the 920 shows a partial tile at the bottom of the screen and the 8X does not is simply the aspect ratios of the screens.
    Thus: the reason WP8 has that blank area at the top isn't because it prevents cutoff tiles at the bottom, it's simply aesthetic design language.
    Now... the arrow & blank space on the right edge of the screen in WP7.x devices... that's one that never made sense to me.
  20. soaringthor's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicymikey View Post
    negative space = wasted space = an artists view of the world <> productivity :)

    I'm not looking for a pretty picture. I want a tool that makes my life more efficient. Please get rid of the wasted space Microsoft.
    1/4 tile <> more efficient either...

    There are design reasons that space is there. For example... part of the "Metro" design language is that space in the top for notifications and status. When I go into the Me hub and swipe over, that top space fills with "looking for notifications...". Email: "Email is up-to-date". Messaging: "Signed in (available)". It would bug me more if the start screen wasn't consistent with the rest of the OS than if I was missing out on 1/4 tile. That's part of the greatness of the Windows Phone design language... everything (I guess there's always an exception to the rule) feels like it fits in the OS. And I fill like that space at the top is part of the start screen "fitting in" with the rest of the OS.
    Thanked by:
    iSicle 
    iSicle likes this.
  21. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    842 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicymikey View Post
    negative space = wasted space = an artists view of the world productivity :)

    I'm not looking for a pretty picture. I want a tool that makes my life more efficient. Please get rid of the wasted space Microsoft.
    No, no, and no.

    "White space" is extremely important within user interfaces and design in general. It provides the eye with breathing room for the content and reduces clutter. There is white space throughout Windows Phone intentionally as it allows the eye to separate and read content quicker especially when its a quick glance. This space on the home screen is by design and has been around since day one with WP7. Especially now with the tiles wall to wall, there is less breathing room and therefore that gap is even more important.

    Look at the living room of a house, is there furniture consuming every square inch of the floor? No, because your body needs space to navigate through the room. Its the same thing with your eye when navigating content.

    This is not about being an artist and painting a pretty picture. The gap is not a design defect and definitely should not be removed. There is even more white space on Windows 8 and Xbox, so get over it.

    It amazes me the number of people who still live in yesteryear where every pixel has to be used for content otherwise its "wasted space." This is why UIs and Websites looked so horrible for so long. Now companies are finally getting the hint that white space is a good thing and allows the user to consume the content quicker and easier.
  22. Spicymikey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    36 Posts
    #22  
    I guess Samsung agrees with me. At least they realize its stupid and might have just nudged the tiles up a tad for the marketing photo.

    samsung-ativ-news-hardware.png

    Either way, its just opinion, so no sense arguing. I'm a software designer. In software design an efficient use of screen space is critical. Again, these are tools, not a picture to hang on the wall. Although it should be pleasant to look at, the design must lean towards utility and efficiency. If you like wasted space they should make the case bigger too with some designs around the screen area I suppose. it would make it harder to carry but it would be more attractive.

    Not trying to convince you you're wrong. Just saying its debatable so don't be so sure of yourself in your stance on the issue and tell others THEY are wrong..
  23. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    842 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicymikey View Post
    I guess Samsung agrees with me. At least they realize its stupid and might have just nudged the tiles up a tad for the marketing photo.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	samsung-ativ-news-hardware.png 
Views:	153 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	26973

    Either way, its just opinion, so no sense arguing. I'm a software designer. In software design an efficient use of screen space is critical. Again, these are tools, not a picture to hang on the wall. Although it should be pleasant to look at, the design must lean towards utility and efficiency. If you like wasted space they should make the case bigger too with some designs around the screen area I suppose. it would make it harder to carry but it would be more attractive.

    Not trying to convince you you're wrong. Just saying its debatable so don't be so sure of yourself in your stance on the issue and tell others THEY are wrong..
    You said it was a mistake that needs fixed (by Microsoft). Which it is not, its a design decision. As for that image from Samsung, Nokia does the same thing on most of their ads. Most likely because the OS was edited into the picture and they are trying to show off the size of the screen, so they push up the content to fill it more. In fact, Nokia even excludes the clock sometimes.

    I'm a UI designer and understand that the software is not about being artsy. It's about being effective, and white space is part of being effective as I explained above.

    In this case, it is not a mistake. And people like it just as much as you dislike it. While design has patterns and rules in efforts to improve usability, there are always subjective elements. Even if these design decisions were made with good usability intentions, someone, somewhere is not going to like it.

    iPhone uses chrome effects on their entire UI. Its not bad design, in fact their UI is very good, but I don't like it, especially compared to a "Metro" UI. That doesn't make their UI design a mistake or an error.

    As the Metro UI uses typography to define sections of content, white space is even more important. So its going to be a common practice in all of Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 to have what you call "wasted space."
  24. Spicymikey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    36 Posts
    #24  
    Much better sir. Spare us the attitude that you know best next time. There's just no right answer other than the one that sells more phones. Given the fact that Nokia is hanging on by a thread and Samsung is the #` smartphone maker in the world, it will interesting to see what they do with the OS in one of their phones. The new Samsung ATIV Odyssey should be out in a few weeks. Will they go with a resolution or code modification that allows for 7 full tiles to display after pressing the home button? We'll see if that is the case or the photo was just for the marketing photo
  25. clindhartsen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    #25  
    The only other piece I would add is that while you may not be looking for a "picture to hang on the wall," Windows Phone has made it more clear than not that it has a heavy hand on design and a unique user interface.

    If you look across all of the hubs, as well as the layouts they create for apps which developers may or may not adhere to, they commonly utilize white space in amounts you likely won't see on any other platform. That space on top of the phone has been present since the first images of Windows Phone 7 Series came out, and as a previous commentator said, it's likely there to leave room for notifications to appear. If you were looking for a "high information density" phone, there are two other platforms that are wide open for this. The point that Windows Phone has pushed a lower, but more responsible information density is an interesting point to be made. If you look at most of what they've said since day one, the phone was supposed to be about reduction and rethinking what content needs to be presented for the user to get what they need. When you compare screens from Android, Windows Phone, and iPhone, this can be clearly evident.

    Either way, I hope the space is left. It helps in letting the status indicators and time be easily read by the eye, vs. being competed with large tiles of color or imagery being bumped up right against them.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-03-2012, 01:21 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 06:52 PM
  3. dots at the top?
    By castewa88 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 07:10 PM
  4. Windows Phone News at the top of the forum
    By HeyCori in forum WPCentral.com - Site News, Feedback, Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 06:46 PM
  5. Nokia Lumia 900 Speaker Slit at the top of the screen
    By gallio in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 08:46 AM

Posting Permissions

B