Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

So I called VZ again as the new SIM didn't make any difference.. and naturally they were helpless. They told me to contact HTC. There was nothing they can do for me but replace it with a refurb.

I get it, its not VZ's fault.. but you would think they could give a better response than, go call the mfgr yourself. I mean come on, don't you guys test these phones with the mfgrs to ensure they are as solid as possible before you start selling them? Oh well... we expect too much I suppose. So let's see what the refurb phone does once it arrives.

I also hit up HTC's support page (HTC Smartphones and Tablets - Support for HTC Cell Phones and Tablets) and sent them the link to this page and the problems we're having. I suggest you folks do the same.

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    vzw twitter support and winpgonesupport both advised me to pull sim and reseat. i did that last tuesday and havent had a problem since.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Levan View Post
    Has anyone here had their phone replaced and then experienced the Invalid SIM error again? I'm having the issue on my black Verizon 8X as well as the intermittent and random shut-offs, so I'm deciding whether or not I should exchange the phone or just wait for the firmware update headed our way within the next couple of weeks.
    I just got my replacement. Its been a week with no issue. My original was having the issue twice a day on average. So far the replacement has been a good fix

Quote Originally Posted by jasqid View Post
    vzw twitter support and winpgonesupport both advised me to pull sim and reseat. i did that last tuesday and havent had a problem since.
    This fixed my sim errors as well.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I was having the same problem an was having the sim card error about 3x a day. What I found that worked for me is if u change your setting from global to LTE and CDMA or vise versa u need the turn the power off take out the SIM an then put it back in. Like I said it was happening to me like 3x a day an so far since I did that it hasn't happened for 2 days. Now keep in mind if u ever change that setting again u have to do the same thing

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I posted this also on another thread but when u changed your network like from global to LTE and CDMA or vise versa u have to power off take the sim out an put it back in. I was getting sim card errors like 3x a day an since I have done this its been 2 days since I have had an error. An remember if u ever change that network setting again do the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by jasqid View Post
    been there dun did dat.. trust me.. it'll be back.. sorry to say.

Quote Originally Posted by laity78 View Post
    I posted this also on another thread but when u changed your network like from global to LTE and CDMA or vise versa u have to power off take the sim out an put it back in. I was getting sim card errors like 3x a day an since I have done this its been 2 days since I have had an error. An remember if u ever change that network setting again do the same thing
    Yea, VZ asked me to do the same.. the ERROR came back regardless.. on 2 different phones. :(

Quote Originally Posted by bobo1510 View Post
    I had this same issue and my brother as well. He returned his phone for the Nokia 822. I tried the "SIM Shim" method while waiting for the supposed future update.

1.) Pop out your SIM tray.
    2.) Take your SIM card out of the tray.
    3.) Place 2-4 pieces of clear tape (Scotch brand or similar) on the back of the SIM card.
    4.) Cut the excess tape from around the edges of the SIM card, and put the card back in the tray.
    5.) Then put the SIM tray back in the phone. ( Mine pushed in very firmly. Not sure I'll be able to get it back out.)

Haven't had a reset or "SIM Card Missing Error" in over a week. YMMV.

Also, attempt at your own risk! Be carefull not to break your SIM tray.

I got another sim card and it was good for one day. Then i get the error multiple times throughout the day.

I really thought it was a software glitch but I tried the suggestion of putting the tape on the sim card tray to hold it in and it's been a day without the error. Has anyone else tried this with success? I'm hoping this fixes it.

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I was also advised to toggle the Cellular setting for ROAM, DONT ROAM. I left it in ROAM and havent had the SIM error in days. (After the toggle and roam change).

I never meet this issue yet, Is your sim been cut yourself? Or been provide by carrier?
    Quote Originally Posted by fierywater View Post
    Hi all,

I just turned Airplane Mode off on my phone and got an invalid SIM error (I don't recall the exact error, but suffice to say it wouldn't connect to the cell network). A reboot fixed it, although it showed the "No SIM" icon briefly upon starting up. Not sure if that's normal or not. Now it's working normally.

Has this issue happened to anyone else? Today's my last day to exchange the phone, so I'm going back and forth on it. Thanks in advance!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    well, i had the luxury of being awoken early today by my kids and plugged my 8x in to charge ( it was off). with in 2 min i got the invalid Sim error again. its been a week or so since last. i totally have no idea what causes this.

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Since both ATT and Verizon users are having this problem, it sounds more of a hardware issue
    Thanked by:
    Matt Levan likes this.

and T-Mobile. many times per day every day. c'mon HTC...

I could press on my phone where the sim card is and cause this to happen -- now trying the fix with tape and it seems to work so far. The sim error would happen every time I banged my phone or just sitting in my truck the vibration would cause it. Put the tape on the back and banged, pressed on sim and even dropped -- no sim error. Crossing fingers...

Global Posts
    2,667 Global Posts
    for a few days I got this every 10 min. really making me mad having to restart my phone every time I wanted to send a text! after I took it out and blew on it, it happens much less. maybe once a day.
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT
    I have had this problem recently with my 8X from T-mobile. I usually just restart the phone and that fixes it, happens at random. I think this is a software thing as well because my phone juts used to restart at random, after the first update then, this started happening. I think we just have to hope HTC and our carriers can work out what the problem is. I am way past my return date so i just have to hope for the best.

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    My post above was from Christmas about the last SIM error I got. I haven't had one since xmas and I did the scotch tape trick.

I pulled the SIM tray and got a small piece of scotch tape and put over the back of the sim and securing the card to the tray. First piece was the size of the sim card and no wider/longer than the tray itself. I had a small piece left over and doubled it over the center of the SIM card. It was VERY snug fit pushing back into the phone.

I have not had a SIM error since doing this. So I don't think its a software issue. I think its HW. IMO the sim is getting jarred from just normal use. Setting the device down on a table, the rumble tumble in a purse/pocket... etc.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    have had this error. not entirely sure what was the issue but just replaced the sim at verizon and it's been fine since. rather have them swap the sim for free than bother swapping the phone and having to reload everything
    I was getting this issue over the last few weeks - I tried to the 'tape on the back of the SIM card' method and appears to have sorted it!

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    I am suddenly having this issue

I truly believe it's some kind of defect in HTC's manufacturing process of Windows Phones. Do a Google or Bing search ("htc invalid sim error" or whatever) and scrolling through the results, it seems every single HTC Windows Phone that has ever been made has this issue.

Methods used, such as tape, to hold down sim cards can only last so long. How to make HTC aware that this is a major problem?

My son & I both got 8Xs via VZW in November. In mid-December his started exhibiting the "SIM Error" problem.

At the VZW store the guy, without skipping a beat, said "known issue with HTC. Here, I'll have them send you a new one. Replacing the SIM won't help; it appears to be a hardware problem that HTC is aware of."

The next day FedEx delivered a new 8X.

A week later this 2nd 8X started exhibiting the problem. I just got back from the VZW store and another 8X is on it's way to us.

My 8X has not had this problem at all (yet).

Microsoft is aware of this issue, but it does not seem to be super high priority. You might want to help make them more aware. If you have this issue go to this Microsoft Answer's page and up-vote it:

8x Verizon 4G Sim card failure - Microsoft Community
    Just to update again - having applied a single layer of tape to the back of my SIM card to bulk it up slightly, I've not had a single error since (had previously been getting it at least once a day).

If you're having this problem, I'd recommend trying this - it sounds like the SIM tray isn't quite snug enough in some models.

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    I, too, have had luck with a piece of tape
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast