Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Has anyone noticed how dirty the polycarbonate gets through usage?

If so, is there a way to clean it??? It has gone "black" around the edges and corners, with some streaks on the back.

Using a wet-wipe for example does not work.

p__3bca.jpgp__68ca.jpgp__7853.jpg
    Last edited by morpheus1982; 11-21-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Added photos, taken with the Samsung Note 2 (the darkside) LOL

Device: O2 HTC Windows Phone 8X 16Gb
    palandri and RyanR47 like this.

Mine too! Not even 2 weeks old and the corners are turning black. Any tips for cleaning would be great!

It must be a feature. "Over time, your colourful 8X will turn black, like all the other phones you wanted to avoid"...

I may update my signature pic to reflect the true state of the phone over time.

shldve gone with black :P

Can someone upload pics of how bad it looks?
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    It's not polycarbonate, it's the soft touch coating HTC puts on the phone.

Some careful, gentle cleaning with a soft cloth moistened with a weak solution of soap and water should take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    It's not polycarbonate, it's the soft touch coating HTC puts on the phone.

Some careful, gentle cleaning with a soft cloth moistened with a weak solution of soap and water should take care of it.
    I am pretty sure the material was said to be polycarbonate. One of the HTC designers from a promotional video mentioned so before the phone was released.

Anyway, thanks for the cleaning tip.

The only camera I have is the phone itself....

Use a mirror!

And I think socialcarpet meant that it wasn't the actual polycarbonate getting dirty, but rather the soft-touch coating.

Oh i see. Thanks.

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    That was my concern when reading that it had a soft-touch coating. I ended up ordering a black one with the idea of getting original cases in other colors. I have one in Cali Blue from HTC and it looks great and it's wonderfully fitted to the phone. Hopefully they will make other colors available soon.

Post pics and let us how the cleaning went.

Mine didn't clean up. I have sent back to retailer to be replaced by the black version.

Quote Originally Posted by ajua View Post
    That was my concern when reading that it had a soft-touch coating. I ended up ordering a black one with the idea of getting original cases in other colors. I have one in Cali Blue from HTC and it looks great and it's wonderfully fitted to the phone. Hopefully they will make other colors available soon.

Photos added into first post. I bought a sleeve case for phone after it already started getting dirty. I will probably end up getting the double shock case too. 24 months is a lot of time to get dirty!

palandri likes this.

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Seeing your pics makes me glad I didn't opt for the blue or the yellow (if Verizon would have carried it, anyway).

Wow, this really feels like a fatal flaw. The rebooting and battery issues will be fixed by a software update eventually it seems. But in a couple of months everbody's colored 8X is going to look like an old shoe? What was HTC thinking when they shipped a device with this soft-touch coating if it wears this poorly?!

It doesn't. Mine looks fine after a week in my jeans.

Mine looks the same, except I don't have the black marks on the back (only on the corners) Let us know how you go with cleaning it. I might try using warm soapy water as suggested

Something seems strange with the actual streaking, a little too specific (I would think being in your pocket would produce a more even stain). I'm wondering if the phone has encountered excess heat or something? Can you confirm if the phone has been set on or around anything that puts off heat (laptop fan)?

I could see the edges being colored by dark material like denim if it rubbed against it a lot - but not inside the (assumed) white pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by ajua View Post

Do you have a link to this case? Thanks

Any staining to plastic is probably water related. Do you guys have sweaty palms or live in a humid or rainy area? Wet pockets will do that to any an soft touch case or in this case, phone.

Either way, I am terrified and will be getting that double shot case or a tpu case that will cover the corners. LOL
    Last edited by tomatoes11; 11-25-2012 at 11:54 AM.

I've only had my phone for a week now but I take in and out of my pockets pretty often and it looks the same as it did when I took it out of the box.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by mobilekiwi View Post
    Mine didn't clean up. I have sent back to retailer to be replaced by the black version.
    I have the same issues on the corners, did the retailer accept this as a good enough reason? I thought they might kick up a fuss. Were you on contract or PAYG?
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaric View Post
    And I think socialcarpet meant that it wasn't the actual polycarbonate getting dirty, but rather the soft-touch coating.
    Yup, this.

It's the soft touch rubberized coating getting dirty. The polycarbonate is the hard stuff underneath that coating.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast