Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jgraves4480

Unfortunately, these reboots are sounding more and more like hardware issue(s) than software, IMO. htc devices have a track record of rebooting and freezing. Although Nokia Lumia 920 users have reported some rebooting issues with their devices, they are much more sparse from what I can tell. I haven't heard of Lumia 810's or 820'a having this issue.

I certainly hope this gets nailed down and fixed...soon. I am not overly optimistic it will, however (based on htc's track record). I really like the 8x, but am not willing to burn $200+ and a 2-year upgrade to deal with faulty hardware.

Even if it's hardware, they can fix certain hardware bugs via software. My honest opinion is it is not hardware. My guess is WP8 was rushed to market like every other consumer product and a nasty bug or two made it through. Although these reboots are unacceptable, I am very happy with my phone. I actually have not seen any reboots since yesterday at 5pm.

I have only had 1 reboot in around 2 weeks of using my 8X and none on my previous HTC's i very much doubt its hardware. WP8 needs a few more updates to sort out the bugs. Nokia users might not be getting as many reboots but i have read of a range of software related issues in the 920 forum which i haven't seen on a 8X yet such as "green screen" & "freezing up" etc.

That's not mentioning the many other problems 920 users are reporting both soft & hardware related
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    I'm on day 3 with zero reboots.
    Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Day 3 here as well, not a single reboot. Only problem I have run into so far is music still playing from last.fm even after closing the app.
    Disable automatic updates under phone updates. Disable ipV6 under mobile network internet and mms APN, select ipV4 only. Make sure your primary account is neither duplicated as a email account nor a google account.
    Last edited by Coolknight1968; 11-18-2012 at 10:11 AM.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

I wish people would quit trying to claim the 8x is so bad. What carrier, what version is ur phone running (there r 2 versions apparently for gsm)? What apps do u have installed. This could help to find the issue. I have not had one reboot.
    Smg-Uk likes this.

Global Posts
    493 Global Posts
    None here with the Verizon version. It is probably bad apps causing the problem.

I'm also erring on the side of software. I have no evidence for it being Attentive Phone yet but that is the only thing that is different that is actually baked into the OS rather than being simply an uninstallable app. Either that or it is something fundamental in WP8 in which case MS need to sort it - wither way 920s have seen random reboots too. It IS a difficult line to tread as there is a window for RMA and these bugs need fixing within that time otherwise people will hit the limit of their RMA window and just change the phone for something else. I am personally holding out.

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I've had my 8x since launch and haven't had a reboot once. Perhaps a lemon device?

Lets get the carrier versions added to this thread. Mine is verizon no reboots.
    Two unlocked Euro HSPA+, no reboots.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

Please head over to the original reboots thread and complete the survey. I will add any options not available if people let me know bit is real data that I have already sent a copy of to htc and MS.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Definitely hasn't been an issue on the 822. If it develops over time, I'll let you all know - one more data point to help nail down hardware vs OS couldn't hurt...

Quote Originally Posted by downstevedown View Post
    Definitely hasn't been an issue on the 822. If it develops over time, I'll let you all know - one more data point to help nail down hardware vs OS couldn't hurt...
    Maybe on your 822 it hasn't been a problem. Microsoft Community Forums reports rebooting 822's.

I had an android 2.3 phone - one of the ones in the optimus series on net 10 in 2012. It liked to reboot or shut itself off all the time. The phone coverage also left room for improvement. So, I ditched the pre-paid idea and switched to verizon where I figured that technology standards are higher and the phone coverage is better. I decided that I wasn't interested in android anymore due to my experiences and that I wasn't ready to jump onto the iPhone train, so I bought the shiny new high end HTC 8X.

Low and behold, I have all the same problems and more. My phone likes to reboot itself at random or simply turn itself off, with out warning at inconveininet times, for example: at night or while I am talking to someone on the phone. I also am no longer able to send text messages. When I dropped the phone and cracked the screen to the point it was necessary to fix, I learned that the phone is so hard to work on that it's on most places black list. The one place it wasn't already on the black list it now is, because of me. Now my screen is fixed, but I can nolonger use the screen while on the phone. It remains black or flickers. So, I can't put it on speaker, I can't dial extentions and I can't hang up.

Moral of the story- its the phone, not the software. I am getting mine replaced. Anyone who has these problems should too.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilb4 View Post
    I had an android 2.3 phone - one of the ones in the optimus series on net 10 in 2012. It liked to reboot or shut itself off all the time. The phone coverage also left room for improvement. So, I ditched the pre-paid idea and switched to verizon where I figured that technology standards are higher and the phone coverage is better. I decided that I wasn't interested in android anymore due to my experiences and that I wasn't ready to jump onto the iPhone train, so I bought the shiny new high end HTC 8X.

Low and behold, I have all the same problems and more. My phone likes to reboot itself at random or simply turn itself off, with out warning at inconveininet times, for example: at night or while I am talking to someone on the phone. I also am no longer able to send text messages. When I dropped the phone and cracked the screen to the point it was necessary to fix, I learned that the phone is so hard to work on that it's on most places black list. The one place it wasn't already on the black list it now is, because of me. Now my screen is fixed, but I can nolonger use the screen while on the phone. It remains black or flickers. So, I can't put it on speaker, I can't dial extentions and I can't hang up.

Moral of the story- its the phone, not the software. I am getting mine replaced. Anyone who has these problems should too.
    I have the opposite experience. I was on Virgin Mobile and had a Android Samsung phone that rebooted and crashed consistently. Then I switched to a Android Motorola that was better, but still sketchy. I've been on WP phones now for about a year and a half and can probably list the number of reboots I've had on one hand. I've owned three WP devices in that time; an HTC HD7 for most of the time, a Lumia 810 for a month and a half, and now an HTC 8X. I've been happy with all of my WP devices (with the exception of the 8gb of memory on the 810).