Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts
    Its a manner of a personal preferences fellas
    Both the 8X & the Lumia 920 are great phones & you guys should pick whatever you like more, fits your need & works out for you !! Whether it was Htc or Nokia !

Personally though, I like the yellow 8X a lot & I hope I buy one around January\February !
    Don't get me wrong, the lumia 920 is a great phone , it just didn't wow me like the Lumia 800 & the 8X , while its packing all kinds of features, I'm meh about em, but that doesn't mean it's trash, I'm sure it will become handy for other people !

A couple of examples :
    - the super sensitive screen is great for people who wear gloves in the winter, but I live in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia & its always summer 24/7 Three Six Five , so I don't wear gloves.

- Nokia Maps is great, I've used it before in my nokia E75, but I don't use Maps a lot, I may look up a street or something, but thats it. transit is probably a US\Europe only :/

- Wireless Charging is also a great feature if the pad is included, i'm okay with plugs, I've been plugin my phones for the past 10 years :)

What I like the most about the lumia 920 is the 32GB storage & I used to think its a big deal for me ... until I got a 32GB card for my Atrix , I still got over half of it empty, the same with my Xoom !

Quick question : How much free storage does the 8X have outta the box? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceDree View Post
    Its a manner of a personal preferences fellas
    Both the 8X & the Lumia 920 are great phones & you guys should pick whatever you like more, fits your need & works out for you !! Whether it was Htc or Nokia !

Personally though, I like the yellow 8X a lot & I hope I buy one around January\February !
    Don't get me wrong, the lumia 920 is a great phone , it just didn't wow me like the Lumia 800 & the 8X , while its packing all kinds of features, I'm meh about em, but that doesn't mean it's trash, I'm sure it will become handy for other people !

A couple of examples :
    - the super sensitive screen is great for people who wear gloves in the winter, but I live in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia & its always summer 24/7 Three Six Five , so I don't wear gloves.

- Nokia Maps is great, I've used it before in my nokia E75, but I don't use Maps a lot, I may look up a street or something, but thats it. transit is probably a US\Europe only :/

- Wireless Charging is also a great feature if the pad is included, i'm okay with plugs, I've been plugin my phones for the past 10 years :)

What I like the most about the lumia 920 is the 32GB storage & I used to think its a big deal for me ... until I got a 32GB card for my Atrix , I still got over half of it empty, the same with my Xoom !

Quick question : How much free storage does the 8X have outta the box? thanks
    Word on the street is 14.58 gb. More than on my one x.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by cp2_4eva; 11-10-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    Thanked by:
    IceDree likes this.

I went with the 920, but the 8X is an awesome phone as well. It felt good in the hand, and the screen was vivid, which makes me wonder if the above poster ran into one where someone had tinkered with the settings. The deciding factor for me was I could get the 920 cheaper, and my focus flash was dying. But by no means would I snub an 8X.

Quote Originally Posted by Etyrnus View Post
    I went with the 920, but the 8X is an awesome phone as well. It felt good in the hand, and the screen was vivid, which makes me wonder if the above poster ran into one where someone had tinkered with the settings. The deciding factor for me was I could get the 920 cheaper, and my focus flash was dying. But by no means would I snub an 8X.
    So many people would snub an 8x, but not me. My wife has the 920. Nice phone, great phone, but not my style. The 8x is more me. If only that fit a bigger screen into that bezel.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cp2_4eva View Post

Correctomondo.
    Thanked by:
    IceDree likes this.

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Just got 901ms on Sunspider. Wow.
    HTC 8X, Nexus 4 (Soon), SGS3, HTC Titan, HTC One X, iPhone 4S, Omnia 7. I love phones!

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts

Awesome !!!!
    That's the same amount of free space i'd in the 16GB I bought for my Xoom (not any more ;) lol) , looks like Microsoft made the oems put a separate chip for the OS ... like what they did with the WP7 phones, as I recall you can open the HD7 & replace the SD Card with a higher capacity.

Thank you dude, much appreciated :)

Btw, I love your Snake's picture ! Its always nice to meet another Metal Gear Solid fan :)

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbaldwin View Post
    Correctomondo.
    Thank you for confirmation mate :)

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    I just went by Best Buy and they had an 8x you could play with. OMG I loved it!! Now if only T-Mobile could release theirs. Rep said she could order me one for Tmobile that could be delivered Wednesday. I didn't believe her..lol, so didn't. But it was my first Windows phone to play with and it felt so smooth operation wise..loved it!! Bye Android!
    Smg-Uk and danailed like this.

I got a 920 on Friday and just checked out the 8X, and I'm probably going to switch over. The screen on the 920 was definitely better (brighter at each setting, better white and black levels, extra 48 pixels, smoother scroll/ refresh), but the 8X felt like it was half the weight and thickness. I mean the 8X felt amazing in hand, like I was holding an ipod touch or something. I'm going to think about it for a few days, because there are a lot of pros and cons to each one, but it's nice to have such good phones to choose from.
    danailed likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Teetu View Post
    I got a 920 on Friday and just checked out the 8X, and I'm probably going to switch over. The screen on the 920 was definitely better (brighter at each setting, better white and black levels, extra 48 pixels, smoother scroll/ refresh), but the 8X felt like it was half the weight and thickness. I mean the 8X felt amazing in hand, like I was holding an ipod touch or something. I'm going to think about it for a few days, because there are a lot of pros and cons to each one, but it's nice to have such good phones to choose from.
    I got the 8x first then traded for the 920, and now I want my 8x back. The 920 isn't the tank like tech bloggers say, but it does seem a bit unnatural to want to hold. With the 8x, I was amazed that a device build like that could do so much. Not as much as the 920. The place where Nokia really kills it is price. You get more for less, but the feeling of the 8x just seems so right. And the day time pics with the 8x are great. Buy the 920 takes better night pics. Tradeoffs....

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    The thing about the 8X is that the only real drawback is that the 32Gb version is not available yet... (HTC seems to hesitate). All HTC has to do, to kill the competition is to offer 32 and 64 Gb variants and a lens app to be able to save pictures in with less .jpg compression (fine). Microsoft was most likely being objective when the 8X was selected over the 920 as Signature phone. I find the 8X is the real iPhone 5 challenger. The 920 more the S3 challenger. It is a fabulous phone that only gets 4 stars when it is being reviewed by WP haters... I have seen many reviews that give it 5/5 stars.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
    Thanked by:
    danailed likes this.

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts
    The place where Nokia really kills it is price.
    Yep, but that in the US only ... as far as I know, but here in Saudi Arabia, the 8X is 106 dollars cheaper than the Lumia 920 & according to a nokia rep, the lumia won't be available until next month
    Yeah, in Switzerland a 920 is 699.- a 8X (non LTE) is 549.- Swiss Francs.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

I wonder if this is a Nokia pricing or an At&t pricing thing. Its just so backwards. There are so many things I see wrong with the whole smartphone business right now that its worth a short film or book. I'm frustrated with it all to be honest. Quality control, empty claims, and pricing. On all platforms. At least apple has for of a handle on all those. But I'm not even trying to go back to the Apple camp.

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTBennett View Post
    Yes and it's a quote I still stand by, it was the first thing I thought when I picked up the device, going from a Lumia 800 to the 920 feels like a backwards step in terms of ergonomics, and yet every time I go to buy the 8X something stops me (even if lately it's the lack of stock of the blue version).

I honestly don't know which phone I will land on, it changes every day. The wireless charging gimmick is something I do want in my life, the 32GB of storage would be a huge sign of relief over the 8X, and the power button is MUCH better positioned on the 920 than the 8X (seeing as we're talking ergonomics).

Ultimately it comes down to how important the heft of a device is to you. The 920 is a large device, it feels almost too big by today's standards and will be bulging out of all but the deepest pocket. The 8X is slender, the screen on it is comparable to the 920 less the PureMotion promise (those extra pixels on the 920 only mean that WP7 apps will scale to full screen, rather than having a small black bar) otherwise it's not a huge deal.

It's preference, some will actually prefer the 8X's camera for the post-processing which means photos will look vivid and exciting, even if they're not as true to life.
    What bothers me is people who say that no one should say a bulky device is a problem, because it simply is. The Lumia is large enough to be slightly awkward to use day to day for some people. It's also going to be far more noticeable carrying it around daily, if that doesn't bother you then terrific, the 920 is certainly for you, but many people will see the 8X as a better design, even if the 16GB limit is maddening
    Great post you summed up a lot of my feelings.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smg-Uk View Post
    Was it set to auto or low brightness ?
    Unfortunately, I don't know. Just didn't have enough time to look.

I eventually went with the 920. Twice the memory at half the price and free wireless charging is just too hard to pass up.

I love the 8x's design, but I also love the 920's. I don't mind the weight or "bulk" at all. Coming from the Trophy, it doesn't seen that much heavier and feels so thin. Appreciate the slightly larger screen and Nokia apps as well.

I do feel HTC came out with a superior design but then screwed up with the lower storage and not getting any great subsidies. Nokia messed up with the sharper edges and the single carrier exclusivity. Both are amazing Win8 phones, but it is a shame that we don't have more universal availability and easy SD Card access (which would be worth another slot in the case imo).

Isn't the HTC 8X the best WP8 device afterall?
    Only if you're into cheap, made in Taiwan (literally) versions of the real thing (Lumia 920). Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but it's also an admission of inferiority.

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Well, seeing as BestBuy is now selling the 8X for $99 the price issue is moot. Plus the 8X has a huge advantage over the 920 - Verizon. Nokia foolishly did an exclusive with a network that is losing subscribers instead of making sure their signature phone was on the largest carrier in the US - and still growing carrier at that.

Could HTC have jammed another 16GB into the 8X? Probably could have and should have. But all in all it's still quite a canoe.

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Why did I have a HTC 8X that I love over a Nokia 920 - Simple - Availability! Nokia wouldn't give me their device on o2 here in the UK so I got the other phone and love that!
    Same for me... Swisscom has postponed the Lumia 920 launch twice, now maybe Swisscom will launch it on Dec. 1st in its stores. Orange however has the HTC 8X now, in all its stores. I just got my first one at "Media Markt", second one from "Digitec", just bought them unlocked. I need two, I have a business and a private mobile phone. End of the day, buying two 8X is less expensive and less bulky than buying two L920s. Here a L920 is 699.- and a 8X 544.- Swiss Francs that is. If you buy from Swisscom they want 829.- if you buy it without getting a new contract, or if you are not allowed to update yet. So... most people here just buy em somewhere else, for less and unlocked.
    HTC is first and getting the sales... Nokia is slow and not shipping much here.

Quote Originally Posted by hasasimo View Post
    Only if you're into cheap, made in Taiwan (literally) versions of the real thing (Lumia 920). Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but it's also an admission of inferiority.
    Kind of funny considering all the 920 hardware faults lol

For me, I have never liked the lumia style of phone, they have always looked like bricks to me. Through out my years I have seen Nokia with some stylish phones, but I did not like the line up of the Lumia phones inc the WP8.

Fortunately for me, over the past few years I have been using HTC Windows phones from the HTC XDA Orbit on O2 UK, to my HTC HD7. I have never been disappointed in HTC's ability to make a decent phone, this is the reason I decided to get 8X.

Quote Originally Posted by hasasimo View Post
    Where is the Lumia 920 manufactured (literally)?

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I actually held the 920 and played with it a bit...seemed WIDE for me. And I'm a big guy (6'2"). The 8x is the perfect size for my hand, even it's a case on...

just personal preference though!
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast