Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

I don't completely understand why Data Sense has to be enabled by networks - yes, clearly the data compression bit must be, but why tie the statistics to that? Both iOS and Android have data statistics built into the OS that do not require any involvement of carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    Got mine Saturday morning in Blue from O2 got it for free on a 2 year with 2GB data for 36/month. Absolutely love it. The espn app is amazing coming from espn on 7.5 loving the multiple tile sizes and the screen is as crisp and clear as i have ever seen on a mobile. Not sure on the rooms service so far, sent a load of invites to my friends half of them ignored the request the other half said "thats what facebook is for". Only got a couple of small gripes. No skype or skydrive apps and looked for data sense but then re-watched the WP8 keynote and saw Joe B mention it was carrier specific and only verizon had it at present. Im also getting random reboots over 2 days of constant use its probably happened 5 times
    Hi everyone. I picked up an unlocked blue from Phones4u on Saturday. I've moved from a lumia 800 and Im very impressed with it so far. The screen quality is awesome. However I am also experiencing random reboots during use. Im hoping that its a software issue. Im giving it till Wednesday before I'll return it for an exchange.

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    How's that blue look in person?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    anth77uk: same for me. Will see whether go for service, not sure yet. It looks more of an software issue.
    Same her, had a few random reboots too.

I can understand data sense being left out by some carriers but no WiFi sync??? And its possible on wp7?? Wtf that is poor!
    As ive said in the os discussion section, the usp of windows is the ability to leverage the substantial ms if structure, why haven't they included it?

No integration with homeshare and server pcs also annoys me.

That aside, this phone is a beut. Now just need to figure how to transfer iphone contacts ....

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Writetomichael View Post
    Same her, had a few random reboots too.

I can understand data sense being left out by some carriers but no WiFi sync??? And its possible on wp7?? Wtf that is poor!
    As ive said in the os discussion section, the usp of windows is the ability to leverage the substantial ms if structure, why haven't they included it?

No integration with homeshare and server pcs also annoys me.

That aside, this phone is a beut. Now just need to figure how to transfer iphone contacts ....
    You could always sync the contacts to a gmail account then login to gmail on or phone and there are or contacts. Or import them from gmail to windows live account. Either way

Woo! Picked one up today after much deliberation - just can't justify getting the 920 for that much moolah. Very happy so far.

Haven't had any reboots yet, but I've only had it for about 12 hours.

The screen is actually narrower than that of my HD7, so I'm still adjusting to typing on a slimmer keyboard - but I'm sure I'll cope just fine!

I'm surprised by one thing - half the apps which are available on WP7 are not available on WP8. Why is this? No Skype, no Skydrive, no Photosynth. I'm sure there are more, too.

As far as the gyroscope question goes, here's an easy way to find out: just try downloading an app which uses the gyroscope - for example, Microsoft's own TouchDevelop. If I try to download it on my now-retired HD7, I get a message telling me my phone does not have a gyroscope; no such message pops up on my 8X, so [S]I'm assuming it does have a gyroscope.[/S] EDIT: If you load up TouchDevelop, find a script which checks your phone's capabilities, it seems that it does not have a gyroscope after all :< Seems like a change for the worse in the Store, then, to not warn you of a possible lack of functionality.

@kregstrong: IMO the blue is gorgeous. Almost more of a purple. I love it.
    Last edited by shinygerbil; 11-05-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Ouch! That's bad that it doesn't even warn. Is PhotoSynth available? Have you tried it?

Otherwise, nifty device that's sure to drive WP8 volumes up. Glad for everyone who got it :)

I want to buy the 8X sim free (unlocked) in London... Anyone know how to go about that? Has anyone done it yet? Preferably would love to pick one up tomorrow. Got tired and frustrated with the whole Nokia hoohah. Spent the past week calling up stores, visiting stores, waiting, being talked down to etc. Really want to get a new phone!

Oh and also, I keep hearing reviews say that the power and volume buttons on the 8X are really hard to push.. I have an Incredible S from HTC and the buttons are very sunken into the phone (not because its old). Is this a problem for anyone else with the 8X?

You can buy it from phones4u for 379. Its not sim free as you have to get it with a pay as you go sim with 10 on it. They are unlocked to all networks though.

Quote Originally Posted by keizka View Post
    Ouch! That's bad that it doesn't even warn. Is PhotoSynth available? Have you tried it?

Otherwise, nifty device that's sure to drive WP8 volumes up. Glad for everyone who got it :)
    As I previously mentioned, Photosynth is mysteriously absent from the Marketplace, at least on my 8X. (Still shows up from my HD7.) It's very weird, given they're all already there in the marketplace.

The only reason I can think of is that they haven't published the WP8-compatible versions to the Marketplace/Store yet, so everyone who picks up a WP8 as their first Windows Phone would be confused/frustrated by the limited functionality and black borders and just assume the apps are bad. Then again, I feel like I'm clutching at straws here.

Reboots here too. It restarts fast and never when I'm doing something really. Im thinking it is probably a software thing. Anyone know where to tell HTC about the reboot thread? Skype and Skydrive for wp8 aren't out yet. Remember The phone and os are bleedingly new and this is htc so will be buggy for a month or two. Or xda will crack secure boot ;)
    Last edited by nicooke; 11-06-2012 at 01:53 AM.

I'm surprised by one thing - half the apps which are available on WP7 are not available on WP8. Why is this? No Skype, no Skydrive, no Photosynth. I'm sure there are more, too.
    Well I know that Skype is not available because they are going to release a updated version for WP8 which is more integrated and doesn't use as much battery power as any other Skype app on any other platform.

Microsoft announces Skype app for Windows Phone 8 with new UI, deep People Hub integration (video) -- Engadget

Maybe their other apps like Skydrive are getting a similar treatment ?

Got the blue one and colour me very impressed. The phone is awesome. Best purchase of the year 😄

I remember the Lumia 800 having a reboot issue when it first came out. I swapped my phone 3 times. I'd swap it, just to be sure, but it could be a software bug.

I've just posted on the reboot thread. But I'll post here to. I've been deleting apps to see if it helps with the reboots. I deleted the Facebook app at about 6 and I've not had any since. Ill update tomorrow if this has solved the issue

Well i bought my 8X from Phones4u today. No major problems or reboots so far. Battery is draining quickly after first charge. Will keep you updated

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    So jealous, feels nice in the hand?? And how is the keyboard for typing? Pretty nice or cramped?? I'm using gs3

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'll post same here as to the Lumia 920 thread:
    Can someone of you who already have WP8 phone try some camera performance/speed benchmarking on it and upload results to web with CamSpeed app. If possible try different resolutions and both with WP7 and WP8 Camera API.

Tanks! :P

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Hi guys,

Any comment about the sound quality? Does the beats audio and amplifier make a difference?

Also, does the beats audio work on any earphone / headphone?

Thanks!
    Beats audio is nice - it comes on automatically when you play a song/video. You know that because a little message pops up each time you plug in headphones and start playing.
    I have turned it off (via settings) mid song and there is a noticeable difference. Essentially with Beats audio, songs are louder and a bit basier. Definately a nice addition although not groundbreaking.

I love my HTC 8x - it fits nicely in the hand and the screen is just AMAZING. Seriously nice. I have come from an iphone and it's a really nice change.

BTW if you have built a whole iphone infastructure (ie airplay with airport express) there is an equivalent of the "Remote" app in the windows store. I have it and can control the itunes on my WHS 2011 box and select airplay speakers! sweet!

I have a burning issue though - anyone worked out how to transfer their iphone contacts across? I have itunes on my WHS 2011 server and under "info" there is no option to sync contacts with hotmail, just windows or gmail....
    Thanked by:
    Lean4838 likes this.

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicooke View Post
    "Hardware Tests" says gyro not available on mine.
    Damn.

And thank you for the real answer... that's what I was expecting. Engadget throws it off at the end of a list that didn't give me any confidence in their reporting.

Anyone try using Photosynth on the 8x? That's my primary concern, not gaming. If that works fine I will feel better. <Never mind, I see above that it's not in the Win8 store yet>

Thanks!
    Last edited by poddie; 11-06-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Photosynth works just fine on my gyroscope lacking Trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by poddie View Post
    Damn.

And thank you for the real answer... that's what I was expecting. Engadget throws it off at the end of a list that didn't give me any confidence in their reporting.

Anyone try using Photosynth on the 8x? That's my primary concern, not gaming. If that works fine I will feel better. <Never mind, I see above that it's not in the Win8 store yet>

Thanks!
    Read this:

Does having a gyroscope affect PhotoSynth? | Windows Phone Central
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast