Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. thatotherdude24's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    407 Posts
    Global Posts
    944 Global Posts
       #1  
    Chances are I'm probably getting the HTC 8X from Verizon. I have always used a screen protector and case on my phones. Will the 8X need one? How easily does Gorilla Glass 2 scratch? Anybody know anything about the back of the phone and how it feels if it will scratch?


    Thanks
  2. jackpfree's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    #2  
    I haven't been using a screen protector with my iPhone 4 and I think it uses gorilla glass. I have a little nick at the bottom of the screen and some less noticable scratches, so gorilla glass is by no means totally scratch proof. Gorilla glass 2 is better, and because of that I'll probably opt to not use a screen protector again for my 8X.

    It almost seems like a shame to use a case on this phone, all the reviews say it feels great in the hand and I don't want to change that!
  3. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    #3  
    It's hard to scratch but not impossible. The corning cristal just makes it harder to get a decent protector also.
  4. Smg-Uk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    191 Posts
    #4  
    The 8X is made of a single piece of polycarbonate just like the Lumia's I did own a Lumia 800 and the beauty of polycarbonate is say you drop it and make a scratch on a non poly phone it would probably show up because of the metals and paint etc but with Polycarbonate its all the same colour so it doesn't really show and its incredibly resilient.

    Out of the HTC's I've owned all have had top notch build quality and the Trophy I am using at the moment used to be my fiancÚ's its been dropped more times than any other phone I've owned yet apart from minor scratches to the screen there's nothing else wrong with it.

    I don't think I will use a case with the 8x because it will detract from the design/weight/slimness etc I am not sure about a screen protector I probably won't use one of them either I didn't use one on my Lumia with gorilla glass and it didn't even get slightly scratched and surely Gorilla Glass 2 is even better?!
  5. ProfessorTripp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    #5  
    I can't see myself using a screen protector or a case if I buy the 8X. I had a screen protector on my iPhone 4 for about a month when I got it two years ago, but I decided to try using the phone without it and haven't put one back on it since. It doesn't have a single scratch on it.

    I do use a candy shell case with my iPhone 4 but mostly because I find it makes the phone easier to hold. I don't think that would be an issue with the larger 8X.
  6. ajua's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    #6  
    I was thinking the same about screen protectors. My LG Optimus 7 came with a protector and I got used to it but now that all new phones are using Gorilla Glass 2 I think I will be rocking my 8X (it's on the way already) without a protector, at least at first to how resistant is the screen to scratches.

    About cases, I ordered a California Blue (made by HTC) to go with the black 8X I ordered. The value of the cases is that you can always forget about looking where you put you phone on. You can it scratch by reaching to it and dragging it along a table or other surfaces.

    I will try the cover as soon as the phone arrives and see if diminishes the great touch and feel reviewers are bragging about. If it does, I will use it without it with the hopes it doesn't get scratched/damaged too soon :D
  7. thatotherdude24's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    407 Posts
    Global Posts
    944 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ajua View Post
    I was thinking the same about screen protectors. My LG Optimus 7 came with a protector and I got used to it but now that all new phones are using Gorilla Glass 2 I think I will be rocking my 8X (it's on the way already) without a protector, at least at first to how resistant is the screen to scratches.

    About cases, I ordered a California Blue (made by HTC) to go with the black 8X I ordered. The value of the cases is that you can always forget about looking where you put you phone on. You can it scratch by reaching to it and dragging it along a table or other surfaces.

    I will try the cover as soon as the phone arrives and see if diminishes the great touch and feel reviewers are bragging about. If it does, I will use it without it with the hopes it doesn't get scratched/damaged too soon :D

    Once you get your phone would you mind posting back about how it feels? Like if the back feels plasticy or shows finger prints. The quality of the build. If you would I'd appreciate it.
  8. Vheissu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    111 Posts
    #8  
    Don't worry about a screen protector they really are just a gimmick upsell for carriers, this is the toughest glass ever used in a smart phone to scratch it you would have to try on purpose. I demonstrate all the time with my Trophy and my keys how hard it is to scratch and I believe the trophy doesn't even have gorilla glass 1 on it. I have been carrying my trophy for over a year now with no screen protector and I dont have a single scratch.
  9. ajua's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by thatotherdude24 View Post
    Once you get your phone would you mind posting back about how it feels? Like if the back feels plasticy or shows finger prints. The quality of the build. If you would I'd appreciate it.
    Sure. I would write a post with first impressions. If I'm lucky, the phone will be here sometime next week.

    The main thing for me about the back of the 8X is, as you mentioned, the fingerprint smudges. I really don't like how some materials like rubber-plastic backs or coatings (like many gaming mice) attract finger smudges.

    Will comment on that when the phone is here.
  10. VoltageMX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #10  
    Do you guys think Case Mate will make the tough case for the 8X? I sure hope so. Had the tough case on all my phones and I love it!
  11. thatotherdude24's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    407 Posts
    Global Posts
    944 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ajua View Post
    Sure. I would write a post with first impressions. If I'm lucky, the phone will be here sometime next week.

    The main thing for me about the back of the 8X is, as you mentioned, the fingerprint smudges. I really don't like how some materials like rubber-plastic backs or coatings (like many gaming mice) attract finger smudges.

    Will comment on that when the phone is here.
    My GSIII is pretty bad for that. It shows a lot of finger prints and I hate the way the back of the phone feels.
  12. ajua's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by thatotherdude24 View Post
    My GSIII is pretty bad for that. It shows a lot of finger prints and I hate the way the back of the phone feels.
    I will have to wait and see how that "soft-touch" back of the 8X feels. I ordered a hard shell case in blue made by HTC. If it does indeed attract finger prints, that case can solve that.
  13. strokee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    157 Posts
    #13  
    Everything I've read about this phone says the exterior buttons are flush with the body and extremely difficult to find...let alone press.

    How is a protective case even possible? It seems like it would make the buttons almost impossible to depress.
  14. 111san's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by thatotherdude24 View Post
    Chances are I'm probably getting the HTC 8X from Verizon. I have always used a screen protector and case on my phones. Will the 8X need one? How easily does Gorilla Glass 2 scratch? Anybody know anything about the back of the phone and how it feels if it will scratch?


    Thanks
    HTC 8X Having Quality Issues? | The Verge Forums

    guess ull need all the protection you can get
  15. kittshelby's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #15  
    Why do people buy screen protectors and cases?? When I bought my first smartphone, I bought a screen protector and case. After about 6 months, I took off the case and rediscovered how freakin sexy and thin and smooth my phone is so I stopped using the case. After 1 year of using my phone, I decided to rip off my $20 screen protector; and damm the screen is so much more smoother and shinier and clearer. AMAZING. My second smartphone will likely be the NOkia 920, and I will definitely never buy any case or screen protector ever.

    Admit it, IT FEELS BETTER WITHOUT PROTECTION! ;)

Posting Permissions

B