Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Verizon's HTC 8X will include wireless charging support | The Verge

Seems like something we would've heard about before now, but I think Tom Warren is pretty reliable. Anyway, I don't care all that much about wireless charging, but this can only be a good thing, right?

Folks would probably like to have more memory, rather than wireless charging.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    This makes the choice between the 8x and the 822 even harder, though i hope the $199 price tag includes wireless charging. I don't care much that the 8x doesn't have expandable storage, so now it's the 8Xs sleek design and hd screen vs the 822s lower price and nokia apps.

On that note. Nokia's turn by turn navigation is on all windows phone right? is there really that many important apps exclusive to nokia?
    Nextel Brick > Samsung SGH-X426 > Motorola RAZR V3 > Samsung SGH-A737 > HTC Incredible > HTC Windows Phone 8x (Red)

But wireless charging allows carriers/shops to sell accessories.

Lets also not forget, the carriers know what phones sell far better than we do, so if the general populus don't require extra memory, the carrier won't offer it.

I would think they would sell more plug-in type of accessories, but I have never experienced wireless charging, so I don't know for sure. How is wireless charging going to be implemented in an automobile setting?

I will say that I have heard more people grumble about a lack of available memory, than I have a lack of wireless charging.
    Last edited by mlm1950; 10-30-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlm1950 View Post
    I will say that I have heard more people grumble about a lack of available memory, than I have a lack of wireless charging.
    I'm certain you are correct. But i bet the mark up on a wireless charging dock would be far higher than on a 32GB 8X.

Its not about making the customer happy, its about getting more money off them. :excl:
    Sounds great" it only gets better every day! go HTC this is my choice as of now but i would like to hear more about the colors.

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I don't use my phone as a music/movie player so I'm fine with the amount of storage provided. I'm not sure if I'll use the wireless charging, but if the cost for a charger isn't extremely high, I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    I'm certain you are correct. But i bet the mark up on a wireless charging dock would be far higher than on a 32GB 8X.

Its not about making the customer happy, its about getting more money off them. :excl:
    That's probably true. But the good news is that the charging docks are standardized so us tech savvy types can just go buy any Qi charger instead of the exorbitantly priced ones that the carriers are sure to be offering :)

So only the american version gets wireless charging ? Not that i would really use it anyway its a gimmick really, Apparently its slower than conventional charging and you can't use the phone whilst charging.

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    wireless charging is a pretty big plus for me in the car. i'd like a wireless charging pad to put inside the arm rest. one less wire connected to the phone to worry about (since i have to use aux for audio)

i also liked using my blackberry as a night stand clock on the dock. very convenient to just pick it up and put it down without worrying about wires while you're in bed.

hopefully it is possible to open these polycarbonate cases somehow so i may use the verizon back on my tmobile 8x, assuming tmobile's does not tout the same feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Smg-Uk View Post
    So only the american version gets wireless charging ? Not that i would really use it anyway its a gimmick really, Apparently its slower than conventional charging and you can't use the phone whilst charging.
    According to the linked article it's the Verizon version only, not even the AT&T or T-Mo version.

But I agree, I wouldn't be upset if it didn't have wireless charging. It wasn't something I cared about even before I knew about the Verizon version having it. I probably won't even bother with it unless I can find a cheap charger. The ones that are out there now are way too expensive.

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Really hoping T-mobile had the sense to add this as they have other phones that have wireless charging.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Hopefully the T-Mobile variant adds wireless charging as well. My college has Qi Charging Pads all over campus, so it would be nice to actually be able to use them...

Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    If they use the standard QI charging.... I could get those Nokia Speakers and charge the 8X!

Sounds good, more we have Qi compatible devices, more useful this feature will be.

Apparently its slower than conventional charging and you can't use the phone whilst charging.
    yes it's slower, though of course you can use the device while it's charging.

To me the beauty of the wireless feature is all about the accessories, like that Nokia stand with NFC so you can just throw the phone to that stand as you go sleep and because of the NFC you can set the phone to show you clock example.
    Or that Nokia JBL speaker where the phones charges on top of it while you can stream your music to that speaker.

Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    What's a good qi charger? It would be nice if they made some matching ones for the 8x. Could I use the Nokia one??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Well, it's confirmed. It's exclusive to Verizon, as are the Black and Red colors in the U.S. Now to look for a good pad that isn't ugly and doesn't cost a premium.
    Windows Phone 8 - Windows Phone 8X by HTC
    Thanked by:
    thed 

Quote Originally Posted by tissotti View Post
    though of course you can use the device while it's charging.
    So how can you hold the phone whilst its charging if you need to put it on a wireless charge pad?

Global Posts
    2,081 Global Posts
    So how can you hold the phone whilst its charging if you need to put it on a wireless charge pad?
    You can still use it, you just have to leave it on the charge pad. It's like using a phone that's sitting flat on a table without picking it up.

Now obviously, if you want to take a picture or make a phone call or something like that, then yes, you'd have to pick it up.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kregstrong View Post
    Could I use the Nokia one??
    If it does indeed use the QI standard as expected, then yes, Nokia chargers will still work with it.

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaethos View Post
    Well, it's confirmed. It's exclusive to Verizon, as are the Black and Red colors in the U.S. Now to look for a good pad that isn't ugly and doesn't cost a premium.
    Windows Phone 8 - Windows Phone 8X by HTC
    so they intentionally gimped the phone for other carriers? amazing...

Longtime iPhone and Android user here, Im PUMPED for the 8x on Verizon, the wireless charging made it even better. Its killing me not having a release date though, lets hope next week the 8th.

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tofu. View Post
    so they intentionally gimped the phone for other carriers? amazing...
    They had to make a separate CDMA model anyway. Verizon probably requested some sort of special feature to make up for them not having the 920.

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Really wish this would have been a feature of the OS so I could grab a tmobile 8X with wireless charging. Almost makes me want to get a 810.

Though it makes sense that verizon would have it as a lot of their phones have Qi charging.

The color's being exclusive are bull**** though.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast