Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Really fed up with the 8S and its memory managament issue. I currently have 0 space left and my 16Gb SD card is showing 18Gb used for music and minus12 in Other. Wtf!?!
    https://twitter.com/Jai2yeux/status/...311168/photo/1
    Last edited by instantcoffe; 01-18-2013 at 05:20 AM. Reason: spelling

I wanted to ask if Windows is going to fix this sort of a problem so you can run apps from your micro sd card?

Hi,

You need to get out the sd card and put it again. Then go to Store -> SD Card.
    Regards
    Thanked by:

@satyendra and @Florin and shahidw:

I had the same trouble with 2 differend cards.
    Waiting hours after copying files and SD card not showing in store.

And today, I can see the SD card in the store!
    What fixed it? Yesterday I synchronized music between PC and phone using Windows Multimedia Player, and switched to Airplane Mode during night.

Not very logical, but hope this can help.

Hi everybody,
    I'm here to share my experience with the memory management of my htc WP 8s and try to find with you a solution at this problem. I apologize in advance for any grammatical mistake, english is not my first language.
    after about 3 weeks of use my phone has 994.36MB of free space and the "other" folder is 575,75MB. I've measured the "other" folder for the last 4 days and these are my results:
    01/19 : 570,48MB
    01/21 : 573,41MB
    01/23 : 575,75MB

Before every measurement I clear the browser history.
    As you can see the increasing of the folder is minimal in my case and is justified by the email/messages stored and not deleted. All my apps are installed directly from the store, not via sd card.
    A summary of my phone usage:
    - 1 hour a day of browsing
    - a lot of whatsapp
    - weather app
    - default email app
    - news app
    - connectivity tiles
    - calendar
    I've also deleted some htc apps and all the games installed by default. I don't use facebook app or facebook at all on my phone.
    As you can see I don't use a lot of apps and my "other" folder grows very slowly, therefore my apps are not storing useless data on the phone.
    At this point I started to think that the problem is not whit the memory management of the system itself but is an applications problem. If you are having problem with the "other" folder is maybe because of too many data stored by apps (probably as cache) without the option by the user to delete them or choose to don't save them (Internet Explorer is one exception).
    This is only a personal hypothesis, so I would also like you to do tests to see if there are only a few applications in particular that fill your phone memory.

Anyway the possibility to install app or app's data on the SD is crucial for this system and I hope that Microsoft will release and update soon to give us more flexibility on memory management.
    Last edited by pac0; 01-23-2013 at 12:10 PM.

So this problem will ever get fixed...?

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    I'm thinking about buying the HTC 8S but the storage problem is stopping me. To those who suggested and tried the 'SD card installation' solution, does it help?

Quote Originally Posted by FIlip9 View Post
    I wanted to ask if Windows is going to fix this sort of a problem so you can run apps from your micro sd card?
    totaly agree, this needs sorting and fast other wise windows 8 phone will die, and no one will want one.
    Got to say i feel the windows 8 phone, is a very LAME Duck waiting to be blown out of the water ????

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    get the 620 with 8gb internal storage. As this is a big issue for windows phone they should make the specs for the OS a minimum of 8gb of internal storage for windows phones no less.

Quote Originally Posted by Technoloay View Post
    I'm thinking about buying the HTC 8S but the storage problem is stopping me. To those who suggested and tried the 'SD card installation' solution, does it help?
    It worked for almost two weeks, I had like 250Mb left (a luxury on the 8S) but then it all went downhill, I'm now down to like a 100Mb without having installed anything new (and I cleared IE and Bing history and everything else I could). Not sure what happened but I ain't happy about the perspective of resetting the phone again... Last time, some apps wouldn't launch since I had not enough memory left.
    Heard HTC issued an update for the 8X and that it fixed some memory leaks, hope the 8S is next.

somebody know if they'll fix it? (next windows update?) Or there is a "hack" way to purge the "other" memory?

sorry for my bad english :P
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowS View Post
    somebody know if they'll fix it? (next windows update?) Or there is a "hack" way to purge the "other" memory?

sorry for my bad english :P
    You need to understand that "other" is the storage used by other apps you installed.

For example, some apps let you download videos into that app. Those downloaded videos are space in the "other". Same goes for any app that let you download things.

Game save data is "other" and just about anything else that is downloaded inside of apps.

So to "purge" the "other" you have to delete the apps that are taking the space.

Hey,

Yesterday I saw that my memory was below 150 MB. So i was a little worried. I uninstalled two small apps (P2000 apps, Dutch emergency services) around 5 mb. No effect. Then I tried to install a large app and as you expect, my Phone told me that he was full. Well, OK. Then I rebooted my Phone and right there, out of the blue I had 500 MB of space free. So maby you need to trigger the 'auto'-memory management, because Redmont promised a system that will fill up all your phone's memory with cache, and if you need that memory WP will free it up for you.
    Personally I think that this system has a major bug and needs to be triggered.
    So please try to install a huge app and let your Phone tell you you have not enough memory. Then reboot and hope for the best :)

Bye bye. ( I hope it works out for you and we all with this amazing Phone!)
    yellowS likes this.

thanks for you answers!
    I know that "other" is for app's data. The problem is that as long as some apps don't allow you to empty their cache I find myself always doing "micromanagement" of apps :D deleting some of them for news ones, deleting and re-installing old one :D

LBLEIJE, ok i gonna try this way :D

ps: yes I love my blue, very blue&sexy, 8s :)

edit: LBLEIJE, can you suggest me some very big apps?

Um will this phone work with kingston 32gb 10 class sd card ?

yeah, you should try Gun Bros, very large game (around 120 mb). But you should only try it when your memory is below acceptable ;) Otherwise you're just spoiling room.

But hey, that micromanagement, it's not even that bad. Discover new things :P
    yellowS likes this.

mhh from 7 megabye to 50 megabyte is still something :D
    But I cannot free other space.... I have 365 mb of "app" and 1,30 GB of "other". Guess I have to reset the phone (not really exciting idea :) )

So basically we are screwed then?

Also can someone verify something..is it possible to download apps onto an SD card and then install them onto your phone? Also, could you install them onto the SD card to save room on the phone? Or do they automatically need to go to your phone's storage?

This is a really serious problem, if we need to reset often when deleting apps..I thought the whole point of deleting a friggin app was to free up memory..and I thought the whole point of having an SD card was to utilize the card to leave space on your phone..so why cannot apps be installed onto the SD card..once this issue receives public outcry this phone will never sell..

if only Microsoft had a bunch of programers that can make an update, so we can execute and install games and apps on the card from the card. :)
    But I guess that is impossible or they just don't want it done so bigger storage phones hold up a better price.

I don't see why such a feature would take a slice off the higher-spec phones. There are many manufacturers embracing WP from Nokia and Samsung to HTC and Huwaei, so the prices will most likely range from very cheap and affordable to Apple-expensive. Once the markets grow and more of these terminals are launched and available to everyone, everywhere, many other factors will come in play when choosing a phone. And considering Nokia has launched the Lumia 620 which is approx the same price and has 8GB, clearly most of the new WP8 buyers will choose Nokia. The lack of memory will most likely be the biggest downer from now on and if WP will not solve this through software update or apps, I don't think any manufacturer will make the same mistake as HTC did with 8S. The only reason the 8S was sold, other than it being a sexy phone, is because it was one of the first devices with WP8 and many people didn't know the internal memory would be such a problem and because other equally priced WP8 devices weren't available and still are not available in many countries. It's sad really, because if the 8S had 8GB of internal memory I believe it would have been the best phone - best seller - best deal - of the year.

Yes, they should just overpower phones with memory. Just make 32 gigs a standard for 10$ more... I would pay 50 dollars more for 4 more gigs in my 8s, altough it only costs 10 these days.

I have the HTC 8S myself and after spending a month with it ....... I would STRONGLY recommend people wanting a decent WP8 phone to get a spec like Nokia 620, at least!

The 4GB internal storage is a JOKE!!!!

Installing from SD is a hassle and lack of internal storage causes online browsing issues (caching) ......

I have to admit that 4 GB is a 'small' memory, however I have no problems with my 8s at all. I dont have many apps on it as why bother? Most info is available on the internet anyway. I have never experienced any browsing issues on mine-in fact I find it quicker to use than our laptop or ipad unless I have some major surfing to do. I have noticed that the 'other' memory goes up and down on mine and currently stays around 1.1 GB. My other phone, a Nokia 710 has less than 3 GB left as its full of photos, videos and music. Just the same as my 8S but its all on the sd card now. The 8s looks better and has a bigger screen than the 710 but just looking at the 620 in pictures it looks pretty good....

I have 140 MB's free and I want to install Real Football which uses 40 MB and I can't. It says that I don't have enough space -.- Any solution for this?

Try to do that again, reboot and do it again. There is a chance that windows freed some space. Otherwise, reset the Phone..
    Thanked by:
    diavol 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast