Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    1,686 Global Posts
    Just wondering if a software update can change the setting to allow us to install apps on the mem card?
    Is it possible or is this hardwired in the hardware?

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

Quote Originally Posted by XENOPHOS View Post
    Just wondering if a software update can change the setting to allow us to install apps on the mem card?
    Is it possible or is this hardwired in the hardware?

Not the latest portico update but may be a future update..only MS can answer that

Global Posts
    1,026 Global Posts
    I don't think you'll ever be able to run programs from an sd card because transfer rates may be inadequate. The only exception I can see is if the phone would be able to differentiate between types of cards-that is, if the device can see if you have a class 10 card (highest speed) then you would be okay but anything less is only good for storage.
    My next phone...
    It is possible. Will have to be done for the 8S, otherwise OTA updates on it will become near impossible to install.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Theoretically it could be done, but I don't think it ever will be. As was mentioned, it can negatively impact app performance. Also they are trying to get away from SD cards in general because they are just an inelegant solution. Two sperate volumes and all, with different read/write speeds. They are just a temporary band-aid until NAND memory prices come down enough so that even budget phones can have a decent amount of memory.

Global Posts
    1,686 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Theoretically it could be done, but I don't think it ever will be. As was mentioned, it can negatively impact app performance. Also they are trying to get away from SD cards in general because they are just an inelegant solution. Two sperate volumes and all, with different read/write speeds. They are just a temporary band-aid until NAND memory prices come down enough so that even budget phones can have a decent amount of memory.
    Fair enough...but like the reply above u reads, what happens to OTA? Wil 8S get one?

I think they will use mSD to install aps and also as swap file during OTA updates.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html