Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 50 of 50
Like Tree3Likes
  1. lbleij's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    #26  
    Hey,

    Today i've found a video (it's in some kind of polish language, i can't understand it either but google translate helped me), it says a lot about the storage, he is in the menu in the review. Note that his 8s is full of apps, but what worries me is het next:

    Other = 1 Gig
    Apps = 400 MB
    System = 1,91 Gig

    Total available = 268 MB

    His photos are stored on the SD, which is 32 gigs.
    The phone states that it has 3,6 Gig of free memory, this is the way it's formatted, in fact it's 4 gigs but there is some kind of sophiticated counting system. As 1 gig is 1024 mb and so on. I don't get that story completely.

    Anyway, here is the video. And the part of the memory is on 17:20

  2. grzegut's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #27  
    It is in Czech, not Polish :)
  3. #28  
    The amount of the Apps depends on the size of the App(2mb, 5mb, 10mb all depends)
  4. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #29  
    Caches rarely get larger than available space. If you clear your FB cache and install a couple of new apps, and there's "less" room available to the cache, it will just cache less.
  5. richard_c's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Caches rarely get larger than available space. If you clear your FB cache and install a couple of new apps, and there's "less" room available to the cache, it will just cache less.
    But surely it will do that until you have no space left then it cant cache anything else but at that point our phone is full. Won't you get message saying you can receive texts etc as you have no free space?
  6. JimboJones2268's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    #31  
    I dont know what will happen when the space gets full - I might try that though. No doubt 4Gb is not really enough, apps can request a certain amount of space be reserved for them no matter what. You cannot assume that any sort of cache is dynamic.
  7. lbleij's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    #32  
    I've had some contact with HTC itself, apparently with a very good informed spokesman, who told me the next:

    It is not able for apps to control their cache with an eye on the amount of space available. I recommend that you empty your app-cache from time to time.

    I've done some research on the app-market and it seems that there is no app available for it. It shoud, because every 8S user has to use it. Maby an idea for developers.
    Anyway, it doesn't stop me from buying an 8S. The Nokia lumias are all ugly. Hehe, and I just like HTC
  8. #33  
    Did you try the 8S app, make space?
  9. Aliandren's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by lbleij View Post
    Hey,

    Today i've found a video (it's in some kind of polish language, i can't understand it either but google translate helped me), it says a lot about the storage, he is in the menu in the review. Note that his 8s is full of apps, but what worries me is het next:

    Other = 1 Gig
    Apps = 400 MB
    System = 1,91 Gig

    Total available = 268 MB

    His photos are stored on the SD, which is 32 gigs.
    The phone states that it has 3,6 Gig of free memory, this is the way it's formatted, in fact it's 4 gigs but there is some kind of sophiticated counting system. As 1 gig is 1024 mb and so on. I don't get that story completely.

    Anyway, here is the video. And the part of the memory is on 17:20
    the difference in formatted vs unformatted space has nothing to do with 1024 bytes in a kb, 1024 kbs in a mb, etc. It is due to file allocation table which assists the OS in managing what bytes are assigned to what file.

    Imagine if you took a stack of paper and ran it through a paper shredder then wanted to be able to quickly re assemble any given piece of paper to its original state. You need something to tell you where to get each piece and what sequence it goes in.

    The 'other' data section in the chart consists of items like app cache data, email, texts, saved files (email attachments, downloads, etc). As mentioned previously only music/videos/pictures can be saved on an SD card. Anything else on the phone is stored on the built in memory chip. That is why i mentioned before you might be better off with a 7.8 device in some cases as it will likely be offered at $0 with an upgrade and have pretty good specs (say Lumia 900).

    I'm not aware of the minutia on OS difference between 7.8 and 8 though, so that could certainly play into things.
  10. kittshelby's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
       #35  
    So I saw a post on WPCentral about SD cards and installing apps from them. So does that mean we can now install apps on SD cards? If so, that solves this "is 4GB enough" question for the 8S.
  11. ragingsilver's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by kittshelby View Post
    So I saw a post on WPCentral about SD cards and installing apps from them. So does that mean we can now install apps on SD cards? If so, that solves this "is 4GB enough" question for the 8S.
    No it's a feature to download an app from a website then install said app FROM the sd card. This app will still install itself onto your phones memory and not the sd card. Perhaps sometime in the future MS will fix this issue but for now you'll have to limit yourself away from games and big apps. For me it would suffice and I was very close to getting an 8S but ever since the Nokia 620 was announced, I'll be getting that instead.
  12. lbleij's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    #37  
    Ok, thanks I get it now.
    In my own opinion buying a Phone with an outdated (7.8 is only a sign of loyalty, not a real bone-breaking update) OS. I don't need that much apps, and games, so I will do fine with the 1 gig. Only thing is that I want to clear my cache from time to time. As I don't care about one or five seconds more load time, I don't want any cache on my Phone. Forget anything! It should be able to delete that cache somehow. The HTC app make more space is useless and I deleted it right away.
  13. kd88's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #38  
    I'm not a tech person so I really don't understand how much space is not enough etc. Basically, I'm very tempted to get an 8S. At the moment I use a Samsung Galaxy Y. I've used pretty much all of the space but I don't really need anymore, it's not an issue for me. I have a few apps (maybe 20), some pictures and thats it. Not much email/videos/music or anything like that.

    Does this mean that space on the 8S will be more than enough for me?
  14. XENOPHOS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,396 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,498 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by kd88 View Post
    I'm not a tech person so I really don't understand how much space is not enough etc. Basically, I'm very tempted to get an 8S. At the moment I use a Samsung Galaxy Y. I've used pretty much all of the space but I don't really need anymore, it's not an issue for me. I have a few apps (maybe 20), some pictures and thats it. Not much email/videos/music or anything like that.

    Does this mean that space on the 8S will be more than enough for me?
    Galaxy Y is an Android. From all that you currently have, only pictures go on mem card. The app, data and cache all go on the PHONE mem. Music, pictures and movies go on the MEM card.
    Hope that answers your questions. Also, judging an Android device apps with WP8 device app is slightly stupid.

    Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.
  15. tmn0's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #40  
    after installing the app about 10 and 5 small game (most 1 PvZ big game), do not understand the other is nearly 1G?

  16. richard_c's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #41  
    tmn0 - From what I've read about WP8 s that it dynamically adjusts the storage, the "other" is basically space made available for all the apps/games you've downloaded so that they can cache data. From what we have heard if you take your free space right down to like 10mb for example Windows Phone will release some of that "other" space into your free space. This may be incorrect and I've not seen any real world examples of it. Having 1GB of other on a phone that doesn't have much free space does take the ****
    Thanked by:
    tmn0 
    brmiller1976 and tmn0 like this.
  17. tmn0's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_c View Post
    tmn0 - From what I've read about WP8 s that it dynamically adjusts the storage, the "other" is basically space made available for all the apps/games you've downloaded so that they can cache data. From what we have heard if you take your free space right down to like 10mb for example Windows Phone will release some of that "other" space into your free space. This may be incorrect and I've not seen any real world examples of it. Having 1GB of other on a phone that doesn't have much free space does take the ****
    if not siging acc hotmail will non item Other
  18. ivomc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #43  
    I've discovered the hard way that its far from enough because of the "other" issue...

    I have 120mb free with the "other" setting occupying over 1gb and system occupying 2,02GB... on my 4gb HTC 8s

    I've cleared the cache on the browser, on maps, etc... the "other category" is just out of hand.

    If what was said was truth I would have been able to install applications bigger than 120mb using that "other" space.. truth is... I cant.

    This "other category" is getting out of hand, I've seen posts of people saying it occupies 6gb or even 10gb. So this will always be a problem on every windows phone 8 model...

    If there's nothing done about it in the next couple of days I'll have to returning my HTC 8s to the shop and get an android...
  19. germcevoy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    #44  
    It isn't enough. Full stop. I use audible on my windows phone an my book downloads cannot save to SD. I wanted this phone. I may wait for the Lumia 620.
  20. Martin Haigh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #45  
    I have an 8s and have installed 15 apps(below) and no games , the phone shows only 619mb remaining although when i tried to install sonic game I got the "sorry insufficient memory" message

    amazon kindle
    amazon mobile
    battery status
    bmi
    bus tracker
    ebay
    facebook
    flashlight xt
    myfittness pal
    translator
    tune in radio
    twitter
    unit convertor
    walk-run-bike-drive
    you tube

    so i very much doubt you will fit all your listed apps...

    phone storage shows as follows

    music + videos (needed for custom ringtones so cannot go on sd card) 15.17mb
    pictures 0bytes

    apps 153.15mb

    other 835.83mb (have no idea what this is ??)

    system 2.02gb

    free space 619.83mb
  21. XENOPHOS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,396 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,498 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by tmn0 View Post
    after installing the app about 10 and 5 small game (most 1 PvZ big game), do not understand the other is nearly 1G?

    http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...21219_0002.jpg
    So that 'Other' means it is free for use right?
  22. Iosif Mila's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #47  
    You can vote here for:
    1. Store apps & attachments on external storage (microSD)
    2. Manipulation of micro sd
    3. Add File Manager to Windows Phone 8

    Microsoft has to release an update for 8S users in order to allow apps and user data to be stored on microSD cards.
  23. beckyxoxo0's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #48  
    i have ordered a htc 8s but with the storage situation, will i be able to download a few games, and apps without running out of storage?
  24. QuadraFX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    104 Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by beckyxoxo0 View Post
    i have ordered a htc 8s but with the storage situation, will i be able to download a few games, and apps without running out of storage?
    A few small games and a few small apps.
  25. #50  
    From my experience, working in customer service as a high-ticket electronics sales person, I would advise you against 4GB worth if storage.

    4GB in this day and age is not enough, when it comes to all the necessary files in the end, I would strongly suggest a 16GB minimum. This extra couple dollars invested into this purchase will ensure you much more benefit and enjoyment out of the product.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Currently, how many apps are .
    By eltoro2827 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 10:31 AM
  2. How many different WP7 devices have you owned/used?
    By bigkevbosky in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-16-2012, 03:07 PM
  3. How many 3rd party apps do you have installed?
    By Duvi in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 12:56 AM
  4. How many songs can you have on your phone in Zune?
    By buckeyeballer09 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 06:42 AM
  5. How many txts can Quantum hold???
    By fauxpas in forum LG Quantum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-27-2011, 08:12 PM

Posting Permissions

B