Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree19Likes
  • 4 Post By Rene Ritchie
  • 1 Post By JerseySal
  • 1 Post By Chregu
  • 1 Post By frompty
  • 1 Post By fulnix
  • 1 Post By damielrohie
  • 1 Post By rafi21
  • 1 Post By awsman
  • 1 Post By IamDefiler
  • 1 Post By ttsoldier
  • 1 Post By vinnyvin
  • 1 Post By Rhamsey
  • 1 Post By IggySmalls
  • 1 Post By Thargoid
  • 2 Post By cj-m

Global Posts
    2,373 Global Posts
    February is fitness month at Mobile Nations, and you know what that means? we all get together to get in shape, share tips and tricks and recipes for success, review amazing apps and accessories, give away great prizes, and have a ton of fun!

This here is our Exercise MY Way contest. Simply tell us how you use your Windows phone to stay in shape. What are your favorite apps? What are your go to accessories for keeping fit? How does your device fit your active lifestyle? We want to know!

Write them out like a blog post. Yup, use paragraphs, list apps, list accessories, make it really helpful for anyone else interested in using their tech for exercise!

We'll post the best entries on Friday, so get them in ASAP! Need more incentive? We'll pick one winner a week and send them a $100 gift certificate!

What are you waiting for, start posting NOW!
    Temporarily dispossessed editor,
    http://www.imore.com

http://twitter.com/reneritchie

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    Great idea, but if we are "all" getting together, can we do this at your place? lol
    ~Sal
    Guytronic likes this.

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    I'm a runner, 3 times a week usually around 11 to 15 kilometers. I've lost almost 25 kg over the years, doing sports and eating more healthy, and what I can contribute here is: If you need an app to motivate yourself, your motivation won't last much longer than a month anyway, just being honest.

Still, I sometimes use runtastic to confirm time and distance, even though it doesn't seem too reliable. I tried out Marathon once and it told me I run 26 km in 50 minutes, maximum speed 80 km/h, burning 8000 calories. It was also the last time I used it ;-)

But in general I don't take my phone with me.
    Guytronic likes this.

I use Runtastic to keep track of my progress. I use it at the gym to keep track of when I worked out and for how long, but really shines when I go for a run (IRL) because it maps my progress as I go, so I know how far I've run and how long it took me. They do offer an accessory to monitor heart rate and stuff, but I haven't taken the plunge yet with that. Overall I am pretty pleased with this app. I wouldn't mind if this app also kept track of my weight, but it covers most of my bases.
    Guytronic likes this.

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Short core workout today =D gotta get ready for the hot tub at the ski hill LOL. I'm looking for a waist belt for my 920, I don't like the arm bands any good suggestions?
    Guytronic likes this.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I like using the Gym PocketGuide app because it gives different exercises if I am feeling bored with my current routine. I also use my Lumia 900 to listen to music and to time myself inbetween sets. 1 minute rest for everything!
    Guytronic likes this.

Used "6 week Training" a while back. Its a neat lil app that tracks how you perform on certain excerises like push ups and crunchers and a few others, then each day according to your progress it steps up the intensity. Also includes a nice resting timer.
    Guytronic likes this.

Apps I use to help stay in shape are Livestrong, Runtastic & Nokia Music. I log everything I eat on Livestrong and log my runs on Runtastic, although it's very icy & snowy in Ohio right now, so not much running going on. I use Nokia Music's energy workout mix when I ride my stationary bike.

I wish there was a Windows Fitocracy app, because I love that site and would use it all the time.

I also use the Arkon Sports Armband for Nokia Lumia 920. Saving money for a new pair of earbuds.
    Guytronic likes this.

Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    I use several different items and unfortunatly this is a place WP and WinRT really lack support from the outside. I use a FtiBit One to keep track of my daily activites and to make sure I don't start slacking off. I use a Withings Scale to keep track of my weight and sync that data to FitBit and HealthVault. I use the Withings Blood pressure cuff (only works with iDevices) to keep track of my BP. My wife has an iPhone 5 and an iPad so I generally check my BP on the iPad since I also use it tro track my sleep which brings me to my next tracker the Zeo. MyZeo tracks my sleep and gives me a score based on how well and long I sleep. Sleep is very important to your over all health but again the MyZeo does not support WP or WinRT so I use an iPad to track my sleep. The MyZeo also has the ability to wake you from the proper sleep cycle so that you wake up as refreshed as possible. I used to use Runkeeper to track my bike rides to work during the summer but have not replaced it since they removed support for WP. I use MyFitnessPal or as I like to call it MyFatnessPal to track what I eat. It is very simple and works on all platforms. All of this info syncs with each other as much as possible and to HealthVault where possible. FitBit and Withings have the most comprehensive setups I've seen but unfortunatly neither support WP.

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    For music, Mixtapes and Zune
    For tracking workouts - Ripped
    Tracking bike rides - Sports Tracker
    For running - Zombies, Run! (wish there was still support for this app)
    Guytronic likes this.

Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
    I just started p90x. Today starts week 4 of month 1. If you're familiar with P90X, tony always says "WRITE IT DOWN". Well I would like to write it down.

I'm looking for an app that will allow me to input custom exercises. All these apps I've tried seem to have predefined exercise names. Eg. "Bicep curls". Well I don't want to record it as bicep curls. I want to record it how p90x names it. Because it's not bicep curls .

Can anyone recommend an app that will allow that customization?
    Guytronic likes this.

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    I just started p90x. Today starts week 4 of month 1. If you're familiar with P90X, tony always says "WRITE IT DOWN". Well I would like to write it down.

I'm looking for an app that will allow me to input custom exercises. All these apps I've tried seem to have predefined exercise names. Eg. "Bicep curls". Well I don't want to record it as bicep curls. I want to record it how p90x names it. Because it's not bicep curls .

Can anyone recommend an app that will allow that customization?
    I love p90x, done it twice, starting up in 3 weeks again, why don't u download the free worksheets online? That'd save u so much tome instead of inputting it in ur phone, and I'm sure they have blank sheets too yo input ur own exercises
    Thanked by:
    Guytronic likes this.

Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyvin View Post
    I love p90x, done it twice, starting up in 3 weeks again, why don't u download the free worksheets online? That'd save u so much tome instead of inputting it in ur phone, and I'm sure they have blank sheets too yo input ur own exercises
    I guess i'll have to do that :(

I've never been overweight, but I've never been what anyone would consider muscular either. Pretty sure "thin" or "boney" is what people have used to describe me. Because of this, finding the best apps that are geared toward muscle gain for beginners rather than those who go to the gym or those who need to lose weight were my main goal.
    The best apps I've found for this are 6 Week Training (by Herm's Software) and Total C25K (by Six Bars). 6 Week Training has a great step by step in working up multiple muscle groups. The majority of the descriptions are well enough for you to know what you should be doing, but they would still benefit from having some pictures thrown in. Best of all, they are all things that can easily be done at home. I've been working through the squat and push-up trainings and just ordered a pull-up bar and am starting those tomorrow.
    Total C25K follows the couch to 5k running schedule (something you can read all about on reddit loseit and other community sites). The app itself has a very nice metro UI (or whatever we're calling it now) and plays a voice when it is time to run, walk, warm-up, and cool down. It does feature a GPS feature, but I run on the treadmill so have no experience with it.
    Sadly, the windows phone yoga app list is pretty dry. I've gotten some great recommendations for some apps on iOS and Android, but they are missing on WP or just aren't as good. The two apps about however have been more than enough to get me started in the right direction.
    Guytronic likes this.

For backpacking, kayaking and trail running I really like to use Sports Tracker to keep track of how far I go, how fast (or slow) my trips are and it's just plain cool to see a Google maps overlay. For backpacking and climbing I like to use Photosynth to take panoramas. This isn't really traditional, but the panoramas really do pump me up for my next trip.

During the day's in between trips, I use, Timer and Stop watch to help keep me honest when I'm doing things like hangboard exercises or planks. And Zune to listen to podcasts to help hide the fact that I'm working out indoors.
    Guytronic likes this.

I guess I'm what they call a "Morbidly Obese" person. I'd like to say its not my fault and blame my medical history, but when it comes down to it I can only say "yeah its all my fault...well mostly"
    In 2002 I developed Severe Acute Pancreatitis, swelled up like a balloon, was in ICU for 3 months with a further 6 months recovering, and they had to scoop out 80% of my Pancreas so I'm now diabetic...and overweight.

I cannot join a gym because the surgeons left me with no stomach muscles so their insurances dont cover me. With no stomach muscles there are a LOT of fitness routines you cannot do, as you'd be surprised what exercises actually use stomach muscles that you weren't aware of. So I'm more or less resigned to cycling, running or walking. However...mentally I am one of those people who talks a good talk and then fails to do much about it. I have spates where I will get on my running machine and do 30 minutes of intermittant running and walking, plus I have a Nike Fuelband which I'll monitor but never seem to make the final bid to meet my target.

On my Nokia 920 I have Endomondo which is a really great app for analysing your activity (sadly it doesn't have a running machine setting), but you can listen to your own music while it tracks your progress, and the whole programme is very easy to use.
    Additionally I have installed the Total Couch to 5K app ready to try. This app gives you a series of steadilly increasing targets to achieve over 3 random days a week for a total of 9 weeks. I'm uncertain as to whether it will work out or not as it does seem a bit far fetched to me. I'll be comencing this shortly but it does spark my interest.
    Finally, I also have a little app called Instant Heart Rate which uses your built in camera to measure your heart rate. How this works I can't even begin to grasp and have really only installed it to see whether it worked or not. I don't anticipate me using it as an exercise aid, but there may be people out there that this may be of use to.

That's it. Thinking of getting one of those Fit Bit thingies for my wife (so I can have a go with it lol)
    Guytronic likes this.

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts
    My Lumia 900 has become my fitness centre. I use the following;

Total C25K by SixBars - I use this every second day and will be finishing Week 4 this week. This app has helped a lot (I haven't run in almost 10 years - thanks to living and working on ships) and it is the first baby step towards me training for a triathlon/duo-athlon. Once I "graduate" from C25K, I will move onto Runtastic Pro and Endomondo. It would be nice if SixBars could incorporate the average pace/current pace on the front screen which gives you the intervals but other than that, this app has a high value. I run with a Timex Run Trainer and it is nice to see that C25K and the TRT match up after a run.

My BP by Code Forge LLC - I have borderline hypertension, so I regularly have BP readings and record them on My BP. I have been using this app since it was first published and it is my favorite.

Weight - I use My BP for this as well.

6 Week Training by hermssoftware - I use this program every contract. I find it invaluable, structured and gives me a good work out. I have substituted the push up routine for burpees.

Push Up Trainer by GustavoMartins - I enjoy using this app for my push ups. It is not too demanding and I use it every second day along with my 6 Week Training program. I find that my push ups have improved a lot more with this, while, strangely, my burpees have improved a lot more with the 6 Week Training app.

Fitness Friend by FitnessFriendApp - I use this app occasionally as a point of reference for various muscle exercises.

I use the Arkon XXL-Armband Sports Armband on all my runs. I usually have this around my wrist so I can easily see my intervals. The audio often gets drowned out when running in an area with trucks and buses - I don't like running with earphones. So on my wrist, I can see it. I use the TRT on my other wrist to check my run pace and HR.

OneNote - Yes, i use OneNote to record all my indoor training on the Elliptical, Ergometer (short distance) and Stair Climber.

Excel - To record all my Ergometer long distance training with relevant zones, etc.

Sites - I am using a whole bunch of sites, Runkeeper, Runtastic, Endomondo, Fitocracy, Sports-Tracker, BeginnerTriathlete, Earndit, etc. I have not signed up membership, but whichever site moves towards integration with the WP 7.5, that site will see my money. At the moment Runtastic is leading the pack.

myfitnesspal - I have the app, but I much prefer using the website.

Things I would like to see;

Pumpit app by Runtastic for WP 7.5 and WP 8
    Fitbit for WP 7.5 ( I currently am using one)
    A Nokia fitness activity tracker using the Lumia?
    Fitocracy for WP 7.5
    HR monitors, straps, etc - although Runtastic does support this.
    More integration with sites like Runtastic, Runkeeper and Endomondo - if iOS and Android can do it, then I am sure WP 7/WP 8 can do it as well, if the demand is there.
    Last edited by cj-m; 05-02-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    phirefly and Guytronic like this.