I want to get a tablet for my gaming PDFs through DriveThruRPG and the like. Usually they're a bit big, but its easier to carry digital than it is several pounds of bulky books!

What are the PDF viewers/readers for Windows 8/RT? Features, performance, whatever. Sell me on your favorite.

I keep hearing about the iOS-only Goodreader being ideal, so the better it compares to that, the better :)
    Developer

Global Posts
    1,494 Global Posts
    I found the PDF readers to be a hit and miss. Sometimes the inbuilt PDF reader works and sometimes Adobe reader. (it is to do with train tickets in India irctc.co.in)

I don't have a personal favorite but here are a few options

There is a default PDF reader

Adobe reader Adobe Reader Touch app for Windows in the Windows Store

Foxit Reader Foxit Mobile PDF for Windows RT - Overview

Others are mostly Desktop apps which I use on my PC.

Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Bump.

This is one of my big issues with the Windows RT/Windows Phone ecosystem -- and a huge reason why I might still get another iPad, down the road. My iPad pretty much got me to the point where dead trees were, well, dead to me. I get a ton of computer books in PDF format. The Kindle app on iPad was fantastic for this (as a side-effect, Amazon made themselves my go-to vendor for e-books).

The Adobe app is mostly fine, but it drives me nuts that it doesn't remember my location. I understand that's not the role Adobe intended for their app. I just would really like to have somethinat that fills that niche. Mostly, I think I'm ticked at Amazon for having such a sub-par app on the platform and​ not letting me send my documents to WP/WRT.

Global Posts
    1,549 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Not Spam View Post
    I want to get a tablet for my gaming PDFs through DriveThruRPG and the like. Usually they're a bit big, but its easier to carry digital than it is several pounds of bulky books!

What are the PDF viewers/readers for Windows 8/RT? Features, performance, whatever. Sell me on your favorite.

I keep hearing about the iOS-only Goodreader being ideal, so the better it compares to that, the better :)
    I'm still having a hard time understanding this fascination with apps. If you get a W8 device, just install Adobe XI like you would on a desktop and set it as your default PDF reader.

Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    I'm still having a hard time understanding this fascination with apps. If you get a W8 device, just install Adobe XI like you would on a desktop and set it as your default PDF reader.
    I'm not overly concerned about apps. I want a specific piece of functionality: An e-reader that can be used with PDFs and remembers me location, no matter how many other books I flip through.

The iPad got me to a point where I really don't care about dead-tree books for things like computer books or game rules, and only rarely for other books. It's not uncommon for me to be reading 3-4 books, concurrently: a fiction book for myself, keeping up on what my teenager is reading, a computer book, and maybe a game book (I rarely game, anymore, but still get a kick out of seeing what's on the market). Both Adobe and the built-in PDF reader do a reasonable job of tracking a single book. As soon as I have to open a form for school, work, etc., though, my place is lost.

Honestly, the Kindle app on iOS is almost perfect for what I want -- including not being the default for "minor" (i.e. non-book) PDFs, upload docs via the cloud, and intermingling my PDF and ePub formats freely. I really just want the full functionality of that app on Windows RT.
    Thanked by:

What's the latest opinion on pdf readers? Should I install Adobe Reader?

Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mccririck View Post
    What's the latest opinion on pdf readers? Should I install Adobe Reader?
    I'm partial to Cover. Although it is primarily a cbz/cbr reader it does support pdf. Cover is the only cbz/cbr reader that was able to handle large files.