Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Global Posts
    456 Global Posts
    Okay, I've looked at Surface RT, Surface Pro, Thinkpad Tablet 2 and a couple of others but still can't make up my mind so I'm reaching out to the forum world for some feedback. I need Office as I use it everyday, ability to use a stylus pen to take notes and make comments on documents, expandable storage (microSD), and decent battery life (I want to be able to make it through the day without having to connect to a charger). These are my main concerns. Of course build quality and screen resolution are important as well but most that I have looked at so far appear to be well built and I didn't see any real issues with screen resolution.

I just can't seem to make up my mind and all the reviews are starting to run together. I want some honest feedback about different tablets from users here on the forum. One thing I don't want is one of those laptops or ultrabooks that the monitor flips around to become a tablet. I'm pretty comfortable with using the touch keyboard that is built in and I find the convertable units to be just a bit too bulky.

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    My experience is pretty much only with my Surface RT so I can't offer too many comparisons to other tablet models.

However, my experience with my RT has literally been the most positive experiences I've ever had with an electronic - this is including my Windows 8 Phone (which I also love). It's light, works incredibly well with the touch cover, and the battery life is honestly mind-boggling. I literally use it all day to play games, stream video, etc. and the battery lasts over a day. Office works very well on it as well.

The only thing I'll say is that you'll most likely want to get the touch cover or type cover, especially if you'll be using office often. It also has expandable micro SD expandable memory up to 64gb (I believe).

Global Posts
    456 Global Posts
    Unfortunately though, the RT doesn't appear to have to stylus capabilities and that is a definite requirement for me.

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I believe the Pro has that capability but is quite expensive. There are other ways to create notes without a stylus. I deal with PDF's often with my work and have to e-sign documents as well - for that I just have a digital signature saved that I insert into PDF's.

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    If you are looking for something with a stylus and has good battery life, your only choice is pretty much the ThinkPad Tablet 2 otherwise you are looking at battery draining devices like the Surface Pro.

Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts
    From what I have read, the Surface Pro will probably not have enough battery power for a whole day, but the RT has that. I have the RT with a touch cover and I love it! You could use a capacitive stylus. It's not the same precision as the one on the pro, but it works great! I don't know much about the ThinkPad Tablet though.

Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    Wait for companies to update their offerings with Haswell. Battery life seems big for you so this only makes sense.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I have a Surface Pro and a Surface RT. To be clear about the stylus, you can use one with the RT but it is not an active digitizer like the one built into the Pro. What does that mean? The biggest difference for me is palm rejection. On the Pro, I can rest my whole hand on the screen and write in it just as if I was writing on paper. If you try to do that on the RT then the screen captures your palm as touch input and the screen bounces around, etc. This is the exact same behavior as using a stylus on an iPad. Personally, I can use a capacitive stylus on the RT for simple notes, signatures, or light mock up of documents. But, if you do a lot of handwriting for notes and markup, as I do in OneNote, then the digitizer of the Pro is a must. Lastly, if you need precision with stylus for detailed drawing, art, creative, etc. then you need an active digitizer like the Surface Pro has.

Global Posts
    456 Global Posts
    I'm a huge OneNote user so the digitized stylus is important. I was leaning towards the Thinkpad Tablet but haven't really found anyone using it for a really good review and it soesn't seem to be in any of the stores I've visited to get a chance to actually play with it a bit.

Global Posts
    1,573 Global Posts
    Wait! Yes, in technology there is always something better around the corner, but this time there is something MUCH better around the corner. Haswell. So wait, if at all possible.
    I'm actually in the market to buy a new tablet too as I just cracked the screen on my current tablet ;(. Well, If you want a stylus, I would either go with the surface pro, wait for the update for the surface pro 2 if you can, which to be fair will probably be announced soon, but if it is, it will probably come out at the earliest in october and possibly in january like the last surface pro. I know MS is about to have a fire sale on the surface RT this week for 350$ So I'm possibly planning on buying one of those seeing as all I do on a tablet is office, internet, and email... The ativ tab 3 from samsung looks interesting, its apparently very thin, intel atom processor w/ 2gb ram and wacom stylus pen, only issue it that its probably not built very well knowing samsung as of late and it apparently is going to sell for 699$.
    Definitely wait for October with Haswell processors and Win 8.1. Surface Pro 2 and Dell has some super awesome new Latitude models coming (I saw their roadmap under NDA yesterday).
    xandros9 likes this.

I bought Asus VivoTab Smart 4G and I can tell I'm in love! Best tablet with accessories for all tastes!
    Current WP: Lumia 1020
    Current WT: Microsoft Surface 2 w/ Touch Cover 2

History WP: Samsung Omnia W > Lumia 710 > Lumia 800 > Lumia 620 > Lumia 820 > Samsung ATIV S > Lumia 920 > Lumia 925
    History WT: Asus Vivo TAB Smart > Toshiba Encore 8 > Microsoft Surface RT

I highly suggest looking at Samsung! I have the Ativ Smart 500t. It is an atom. Fantastic battery life, also has a stylus. I'm very pleased with this device. I had a Surface Rt before. But wanted a stylus. Luckily I got a sweet deal on my Samsung. It is very well built. They also came out with another version don't remember the name but it also has a stylus and atom processor. I think you can find a review on the 500t on this site. Best of luck deciding on a device that works for you!
    qudahamohammad likes this.

My recommendations are the iconia w700. Which looks great and has an amazing battery and 1080p screen, also can be used with a stylus with the right accessories
    I'm with Skja on this one. Out of currently available devices, to me the iconia w700 is the best available choice. It checks all of your boxes. And, should you decide to use it, the optional keyboard dock doubles the amount of time you can spend away from the charger, which is already an impressive 8hrs+ without it. And it has a VERY competitive price and surprisingly good build quality. If I had the money and was looking to buy right now, I would've already ordered one. Personally, I'm saving my money for a new haswell-powered unit, or maybe a bat trail atom for the extra longevity. (I'm not trying to run Crysis or edit HD footage on it)

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    ThinkPad Tablet 2 is the best option of current devices

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Look into the HP Envy x2 convertible. I bought one about a week ago and it rocks! It's touch screen and the keyboard has an extra battery for a total of over 11 hours of battery life.

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Look into the Asus me 400. Cheap, awesome. Can't go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Blkacesvf41 View Post
    Look into the HP Envy x2 convertible. I bought one about a week ago and it rocks! It's touch screen and the keyboard has an extra battery for a total of over 11 hours of battery life.
    I saw one at Office Depot. I hate to say, but it is a sexy b!t(h.. But, the HP Split X2, is out soon, a little bigger, just more.. YUM
    From the CO and my 8X
    I suggest you wait not for Haswell, but for those new Atoms -I think they're called Silvermont - before you make your purchase. If they can give them the same battery life boost that Haswell did to the Core series, goodbye RT.
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Only Yesterday (おもひでぽろぽろ)

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I don't know if this will help but the Lenovo helix might be worth a look.

Global Posts
    456 Global Posts
    Are there any plans that anyone has heard of about the Thinkpad Tablet 2 getting any upgrades or changes?

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I would recommend you just go and test out all the options. I purchased a Surface Pro (64Gb) yesterday and so far it is excellent. I did look at the Envy x2 Convertible, and while I liked it I wanted something that still stayed true as a tablet with a laptop option. I thought the Envy x2 screen was just too big for what I wanted. If you like the idea of having a tablet with a larger screen then definitely check it out. The other thing I did not like about it was the screen resolution. It is pretty weak, IMO. Out of the dozens of laptops and tablets on display at BestBuy, only two or three matched the superb screen of the Surface Pro, and they were at least $1000 or higher. Even the Surface RT had better resolution than most of the laptops on display. Yes, I understand the “well that’s because it is a ten inch screen with same resolution” argument, but when your viewing distance to your tablet is about two feet, it doesn’t matter that it only has a 10” screen (using the videophile calculation of 1.5 to 2 feet of viewing distance per every 10” of screen width).

Purchasing the Surface Pro was a gamble considering version 2 is just around the corner, but I was tired of waiting. We’ve been waiting for months regarding the next round and it could still be well into Q1 or Q2 of 2014 before the next versions are available for consumers. If the next version does come out in a couple months I’ll just sell it on eBay and upgrade. I’ll take a bit of a loss, but it’ll be worth it because this tablet is incredible.

Whatever you do, compare and think about what you’re really getting out of it. People whine about the Surface Pro price, but my purchase of the Surface Pro at $799 was easy considering my wife and I paid $499 for the 16Gb 4th Gen iPad. The Surface is twice what the iPad is, with more options.
    Microsoft does not read these Forums. Please go to the Windows Phone Suggestion Site and make your voice be heard.

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cre8tivspirit View Post
    Are there any plans that anyone has heard of about the Thinkpad Tablet 2 getting any upgrades or changes?
    Are you asking about a new Thinkpad Tablet model, or updates to the current TPT2? If you're asking about updates, I'm 99% sure that Windows 8.1 will be free to upgrade to, and I think you can download the 8.1 preview as well. Other than that, no clue.

About a new model, we haven't heard anything but I wouldn't be surprised if Lenovo comes out with a Thinkpad Tablet 3 around November-January. I would expect it to come with a stylus and digitizer like the current Thinkpad Tablets. We might see improved screen resolution but I think the real difference will be that it will use Intel's new Atom processor or just an improved processor in general (that HOPEFULLY retains the great battery life of the current Atom processor).

That's just what I would expect. However, since this is Lenovo we're talking, don't expect a pocket friendly price tag to go along with this device.

I'm just speculating here. But I do expect a whole new wave of Windows 8 tablets to come when Intel releases their new processors, around the end of this year. So the question you need to answer is, can you wait and will you be willing to pay the MSRP? Or do you need a tablet now and don't want to spend as much?

I personally do not want to wait and do not want to spend a lot on a tablet (not now, anyways). I don't need amazing performance so I'm getting a Thinkpad Tablet 2 next week. Since I'm only 16 and I don't have a real job, $450 is already a lot of money but I think it's reasonable for what I'm getting. In the next year or two when I do have a real job I'll get something better.

It really all depends on you and what you need. Good luck!
    Last edited by MDak280; 08-06-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast