Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”- Plato

hubberttyler likes this.

I can see what he's trying to say. Probably coming across more arrogant and snobby than its meant to be.

At the end of the day, Apple fanboys will eat this up. MS/Nokia fanboys will cry bloody murder. We'll be right back where we started, lol

It seems to be right, one must realize that it's talking about ~2007-2010 era more than present day. Currently it's Apple copying Microsoft, but it's quite clear that Apple was the one who set the new trend in 2007-2008 that everyone else followed, including Microsoft when you look at Windows Mobile vs. Windows Phone.

You can think what you want about Apple products, but you can't deny the impact of the iPhone's on mobile phone market and how it totally changed the field. However, I see that their innovation on that field only lasted for a few years, now it feels like it's a joke after another (that said, they did manage to break through with tablets too, but iPhone has seen fairly little new anymore), especially after Jobs stepped down.
    This is great! Apple's got a target on WP's back. Shows our platform and hardware are a real threat.

This is particularly interesting because Apple is normally quiet when it comes to publicly going after other mobile platforms. That way they feed the notion that their products are in a higher class than android & WP. This new aggressiveness that we saw in Apples last event and these statements are evidence of a new PR strategy in response to our growing threat.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Thanked by:

LMAO

Well I say Tim Cook and Apple copied windows phone and the 'metro' UI. Then I say Apple can't innovate anymore and overprice all their products. I feel better now!
    ajj3085 likes this.

Global Posts
    557 Global Posts
    Tim Cook for MS CEO. Let's start that rumor and see what hits the fan.

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    It seems to be right, one must realize that it's talking about ~2007-2010 era more than present day. Currently it's Apple copying Microsoft, but it's quite clear that Apple was the one who set the new trend in 2007-2008 that everyone else followed, including Microsoft when you look at Windows Mobile vs. Windows Phone.

You can think what you want about Apple products, but you can't deny the impact of the iPhone's on mobile phone market and how it totally changed the field. However, I see that their innovation on that field only lasted for a few years, now it feels like it's a joke after another (that said, they did manage to break through with tablets too, but iPhone has seen fairly little new anymore), especially after Jobs stepped down.
    i..iii dont think steve jobs stepped down lol.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”- Plato

BIGPADDY and Dadstar0410 like this.

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

i dont deny that apple started the trend but to say that anyone is copying their business model is just distorted reality. Google bought motorola for patents not for a similar apple strategy. microsoft bought nokia to have more control and work in closer conjunction with the nokia team responsible for hardware, thus being able to create a "pure" windows phone experience that is above what other wp OEMs are producing at said moment. i think each company has their own distinct strategy. though i will agree microsoft went more the apple route with the walled garden OS think. there are aspects microsoft pinched from apple and google but ultimately i believe they have their own end expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by WinFan1 View Post
    i..iii dont think steve jobs stepped down lol.
    He did step down before he died due to medical reasons, but yes, it's not like it was really voluntary.
    BIGPADDY and loisegrcia like this.

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohanj View Post
    This is great! Apple's got a target on WP's back. Shows our platform and hardware are a real threat.

This is particularly interesting because Apple is normally quiet when it comes to publicly going after other mobile platforms. That way they feed the notion that their products are in a higher class than android & WP. This new aggressiveness that we saw in Apples last event and these statements are evidence of a new PR strategy in response to our growing threat.
    well i think this is all just to get attention off of their own lackluster presentation AGAIN. market shares have plummeted for the third year in a row, samsung androids and the moto x and the htc one, as well as the sony xperia z1 are giving the iphone a serious run for money in functionality and look. samsung is a juggernaut and thats another fact. we also cannot overlook that windows phone is surpassing apple in certain markets due to affordability of their products.

Thanked by:
    christenmartin likes this.

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    He did step down before he died due to medical reasons, but yes, it's not like it was really voluntary.
    i was not aware that he stepped down i thought he passed away and tim cook was selected in his place. thanks for the clarification.

Well, well. There might be the day when he'll've to eat his words. Let's wait and see.
    Happy WP user :P
    Thanked by:
    Apple/Cook taking pot shots at their competitors isn't surprising. Microsoft does it all the time. But keep in mind that Microsoft's antitrust lawsuit ended just a little over two years ago. After 8 years they no longer have any Government oversight preventing them from integrating their many products and services. Apple had a head start but let's not underestimate the ramifications of the antitrust lawsuit. It kept Microsoft shackled for a long time. Now Microsoft is innovating at a faster pace than I've ever seen. Windows 8, RT, Xbox One, WP, Office 365, Skype, IE, cloud services and let's not forget the glue, Bing. You know, that thing Apple integrated into Siri. I think combining their products and services is what MS always wanted to do and now they finally can.

Cook is so worried about people copying their business model.
    How about you start copying other people's pricing model?
    "Engineering is more than just the number of megapixels." - Stephen Elop
    Thanked by:
    john_v, WinFan1, KKRLessey and 2 others like this.

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyCori View Post
    Apple/Cook taking pot shots at their competitors isn't surprising. Microsoft does it all the time. But keep in mind that Microsoft's antitrust lawsuit ended just a little over two years ago. After 8 years they no longer have any Government oversight preventing them from integrating their many products and services. Apple had a head start but let's not underestimate the ramifications of the antitrust lawsuit. It kept Microsoft shackled for a long time. Now Microsoft is innovating at a faster pace than I've ever seen. Windows 8, RT, Xbox One, WP, Office 365, Skype, IE, cloud services and let's not forget the glue, Bing. You know, that thing Apple integrated into Siri. I think combining their products and services is what MS always wanted to do and now they finally can.

this is also a really valid point. Alot of people say that microsoft is too much of a giant company to keep up on all products i think they were not sleeping but rather, forced into a cage.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyCori View Post

I agree with the innovation pace at Microsoft, and the quality of it as well compared to their history. I am actively pursuing moving my company's mail/collaboration cloud to Office 365/Exchange Online from Google Apps. Why? Because Microsoft's product is the most compatible across platforms. Yeah, really. When was the last time you heard that? Apple simply doesn't have an offering that can stand in an enterprise environment that exchanges and interoperates with other businesses. Google is actively creating that wall around their "garden," anyone try to sync ALL of Google Apps for Business to a OSX? Here's a hint, you're not going to get reliable contact sync and NO Task sync. Google's Outlook connector is buggy and is prone to hanging. Their web interface is absolutely horrid for any type of heavy use.

Apple is really boxed into a corner. Granted, its a pretty cozy and comfortable corner, but they are boxed in. The only way they can penetrate the enterprise is going to be a tablet - the phone form factor is too small. They'll need a true service - an enterprise level and manageable form of iCloud - to truly break out of that corner.
    Thanked by:
    john_v and HeyCori like this.

Apple's last few iPads and iPhones haven't been selling because of innovation. They've been selling because of the Apple fans that will buy anything Apple releases.

Quote Originally Posted by squire777 View Post
    Apple's last few iPads and iPhones haven't been selling because of innovation. They've been selling because of the Apple fans that will buy anything Apple releases.
    Maybe it's because their apple stuff works better for them? I want to switch to Microsoft so badly but I can't yet because some of the functionality just isn't there. Why can't I rate a song in Xbox music? Why is it so hard to email a PDF?

ill be first in line when they fix these small issues.

The subject in question is innovation. Apple hasn't really done much lately to be criticizing others about it.
    john_v likes this.

Fair enough I guess. I think most of the big innovations have been done for the foreseeable future. There will probably minor refinements over the next few years.

It'll be pretty interesting to see how far Apple can take biometrics with 3rd parties. If it doesn't get beyond the App store authorizations, then it remains a niche for the near term - and a hassle for corporate IT. This could be a classic case study of Apple needing to win over the trust of 3rd parties they've previously screwed over - Amazon - to extend that utility. I think the fact that there wasn't any additional utility announced at launch is telling to that scenario - usually Apple has some external partners involved and on board with new features right out of the gate.
    Last edited by dkediger; 09-19-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Added content

Global Posts
    368 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgr_874 View Post
    Fair enough I guess. I think most of the big innovations have been done for the foreseeable future. There will probably minor refinements over the next few years.
    Bug eye cameras with insane software doing things no one thought possible.
    Actually, He's Right. And I'm, not an apple fanboy for saying this either. With regards to Nokia, they had symbian for too long and wouldn't have even had to consider wp if they got their act together sooner and came out with a competitive OS to iOS, but they didn't. They let iOS slowly eat away at their market share year after year and act like nothing was going to happen and then they had to bring in Elop to salvage what left they had of the company and change platforms for them to become profitable again. Same thing happened to BB, they kept the same stale OS for years and only came out with BBOS10 after it was too late, IMHO.

Another thing, MS is moving towards the apple business model, and it makes sense: It worked brilliantly for apple, why won't it work for MS? The problem android has is that you have this disconnect between the hardware and software, same problem with traditional PCs. The biggest issue (I believe) that plague PCs is driver compatibility. Usually when you have problems, its some kind of graphics driver, or chipset driver not working correctly. This is why macs work very well, its much easier to write 10 drivers for 10 different standard pcs(macs) than to write drivers for millions of different types of pcs on the market. MS knows this, why else were they so strict on the WP hardware guidelines, like making sure that all WP hardware had to use only qualcomm processors, for example. The surface is another example, I believe that its the tablet that OEMs failed to make. The surface pro and RT are fantastic devices for being first gen. They have some problems, but look at the pro, for example, its probably the smallest computer on the market running a full intel core i5 in it and even had to have a custom cooling solution engineered specially for that product. The surface pro could have had all sorts of overheating issues, driver problems, digitizer problems, wireless problems, but it didn't. Sure the battery life isn't great, but that, to me, seems to be the only glaring flaw with it which I'm sure they will fix on the second gen anyways. Point is, MS is turning into a devices and services company, like apple, and I think their first-party hardware is much better than OEM hardware at the moment, maybe save for some of the lenovo thinkpads or other business grade computers.

The other thing MS is doing is services, as stated above. Bing, Xbox music, xbox live, office, skydrive, I could go on and on, but thats where the money is. Sure, with apple, they do make great margins on their products, but itunes is really their cash cow and the know it, they make a huge profit on all of the apps and songs sold through their store. MS is doing the same thing because thats where the money is. So yes, Tim cook did take a nice shot MS, but I think he's right, MS is turning themselves into an apple-esque business model, maybe not quite as locked down as apple, but very close and I think its good for them, this is where the technology industry is heading in the future. Google and amazon also do this too.
    Oh, brother. I'm an Apple fan, but Tim Cook is just so wrong. Nokia has always been innovative, still is today.
    http://mowned.com/sig/metalchick719.extended.jpg

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    what a joke, he's just made himself look stupid.

Global Posts
    2,599 Global Posts
    Apple has lost it, wait they already did. :|
    Proud owner of a Nokia Lumia 1520 in Black I have developed one app!

My personal YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/MickLMZR
    Look at my band's channel! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPghwXNoo65KaARZtxDJm1g
    And Soundcloud Account! https://soundcloud.com/marigoldrock

I also own a Nokia Lumia 520, HTC Mozart 7, iPod Touch 5th gen 32GB, iPod Touch 4th gen 8GB, HP Veer (AT&T) White, Microsoft Surface 2 64GB, Blackberry Playbook 16GB, iPhone 4 32GB and HP Pre3 8GB.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast