Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

hi everyone!
    my first post on WPC forum!
    I just want to share some images with you!
    I love WP but what make me sad is that almost every top features that is missing right now was available to some of us many years ago!

hope GDR3 and blue bring same and more features!
    what do you think?

screen002.pngscreen005.pngscreen006.pngscreen007.pngscreen008.pngscreen009.pngscreen010.pngscreen011.pngscreen012.pngscreen013.pngscreen014.pngscreen015.pngscreen016.pngscreen018.pngscreen019.png
    Last edited by ms_geo; 07-24-2013 at 07:12 AM.
    Thanked by:

Good old Windows Mobile...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails phm-regedit-5.jpg  

I had the Omnia and used to love running this the mobileshell application from SPB software. almost everyday or so I would flash new custom ROM's
    ms_geo and MSFTisMIA like this.

I had the htc touch, used the Onyx WM 6.6 ROM on it for 4 years
    Last edited by pankaj981; 07-24-2013 at 08:00 AM.
    ms_geo likes this.

Global Posts
    4,871 Global Posts
    Loved the NRGY Roms on The Touch Diamond, HD 1 and the Xperia X1. When I deleted all my hacks and cab files for my old WM phones last month, it made me sad...
    ms_geo and DJRedLine like this.

Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    I doubt most people here have ever seen WP in person. I haven't.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
    Chand Darling likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ms_geo View Post
    hi everyone!
    my first post on WPC forum!
    I just want to share some images with you!
    I love WP but what make me sad is that almost every top features that is missing right now was available to some of us many years ago!

hope GDR3 and blue bring same and more features!
    what do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen002.png 
Views:	399 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	38029Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen005.png 
Views:	373 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	38030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen006.png 
Views:	376 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	38031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen007.png 
Views:	374 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	38032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen008.png 
Views:	372 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	38033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen009.png 
Views:	376 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	38034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen010.png 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	38035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen011.png 
Views:	375 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	38036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen012.png 
Views:	371 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	38037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen013.png 
Views:	367 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	38038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen014.png 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	38039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen015.png 
Views:	368 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	38040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen016.png 
Views:	366 
Size:	2.5 KB 
ID:	38041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen018.png 
Views:	370 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	38042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen019.png 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	38043
    I cringed by seeing these screenshots. MS did a good job to break with all this stuff, to achieve a gently-soft performance and a beautiful flat and modern UI design - or simply a total reboot. Functionality might follow by the time, but I wouldnt need even a tenth of the overwhelming featureset WM6 offered (or offers). Same with Android.

Seriously, why would any non-geek need a registry editor on his phone?! Thats rediculous.
    Thanked by:
    Gergolos and benrp like this.

I'm working on an app for work using wm6.5 so I'm getting to see stuff like this almost everyday. That api allowed for so much more than the current one...

Quote Originally Posted by 4hab View Post
    I cringed by seeing these screenshots. MS did a good job to break with all this stuff, to achieve a gently-soft performance and a beautiful flat and modern UI design - or simply a total reboot. Functionality might follow by the time, but I wouldnt need even a tenth of the overwhelming featureset WM6 offered (or offers). Same with Android.

Seriously, why would any non-geek need a registry editor on his phone?! Thats rediculous.
    It was cool for geeks.

This is a nostalgic thread about old times, nobody is saying we should have this now. It looks ridiculous nowadays and you wouldn't even be able to navigate without a pen :-)

But still, it had many features I'd need now, for example VPN support.
    ms_geo and bawboh86 like this.

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Good times I deed with that os. Loved it and hated it 80/20. I hope more and more PC features can make it back in a less cumbersome and relevant way... But come to think about, mt surface rt fits the bill where needed perfectly.

Good memories, but forward march!

I have fond memories of three HP devices, the last being the 614c, but I don't miss having to hook th battery out when it froze. :)

I also had a Toshiba TG01 which wa a nightmare until I burned it with a cut-down 6.3 ROM. She was as good as gold once rid of bloatware.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.

My first smartphone was the T-Mobile Dash (HTC Excalibur, I think), which was WM5! After that I moved to the Touch Pro 2, which I kept until the release of WP7. I almost went to Android after my TP2, but I just got so sick of constantly having to flash ROMs in order to get a half-way decent experience. I'm so happy with the direction MS has taken with their mobile OS!
  13. tgp

Global Posts
    2,155 Global Posts

A non-geek didn't need a registry editor, but they wouldn't even know it was available or what it was for! I loved WM when I had it. I used some of its features that are still missing in WP, which is why I haven't been able to totally switch to WP yet. Good times indeed!
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)
    ms_geo likes this.

Global Posts
    1,892 Global Posts

A reg edit tool wasn't just for geeks. If you had an AT&T device unlocked it would be useless for anything other than text & voice. With a registry editor you could then change MMS server info, GPS, tethering, etc. Samsungs were the worst for being locked down.

By your standards, we don't need file browsers, VPN tools, network file sharing, email file attachment menus, etc. Apple convinced the world (and they should be commended for their efforts) that all you need is a good mp3 player, a stylish phone and an app store. I take maybe 10 pictures a year, never play games and have no idea what Instagram is. By my standards, Windows Mobile was the cat's a** because I could get work DONE. That's not rediculous (sic).
    I just recently sold the Palm Treo Pro I had for a few months after swapping my Pre 2 for it.

I liked WM6.1, but the 3rd-party applications were just a bit too dated for me (lot were broken), but other than that, and the dismal Stock Media Player, I liked it.

Upgraded it to 6.5 with a custom ROM, it was great, but eventually returned to 6.1.

That was my only WM experience, as I was solidly in the Palm camp in its heyday.

How about we remember Windows CE too? I once found the Cassiopeia A-11 with Windows CE 1.0 in my house. I was pretty cool, albeit a bit on the unwieldly side.
    ms_geo likes this.
    my father wanted to buy one but I told him that an iPhone is a better product.

I'm facepalming at the moment, so hard.

Global Posts
    2,721 Global Posts
    I have a HP iPaq 1940h with Pocket PC 2003, It looks similar to this. :)
    Proud owner of a Nokia Lumia 1520 in Black! :)

My YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/MickLMZR
    ms_geo likes this.

I had a MotoQ from Motorola, a gift from a relative 2 years ago (she had a new phone and gave me this). it didn't had wifi, but I loved the keyboard.
    dkediger likes this.

Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    I remember the HTC dash I had for a short time. I miss those days.
    ms_geo likes this.

WM was great in the fact that it had more features than what WP has today except it ran like crap. How is it that there was more features back then there this now? It makes no sense.

My stepdad used to have a phone that ran this.
    Also, found on Wikipedia:
    ibrgerm.jpg
    Vroom vroom
    xandros9 likes this.

I don't remember what Pocket PC I had with a gray scale screen (and the huge 32 MB CompactFlash card). I loved this thing but I really don't remember what brand it was. I don't think it was an iPAQ...

Had the touch pro, touch pro 2, Omnia 2. Went to android for the past few years and am back with the n928. Wp8 seems so limited than what I remember. I still love it and it will grow

i-mate was the only brand i ever seen with windows mobile back then you are lucky person if you had a phone with windows mobile on it
    ms_geo likes this.

Global Posts
    5,686 Global Posts
    Jeez I never realized how old it looked haha. Then again I never really used much of Windows Mobile. Parts of the OS look modern and parts look very dated
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast