Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,917 Global Posts
    Lately I have been seeing a plethora of rugged android phones with Samsung Galaxy S4 Active being the most high end. My question is:
    Why is there not a rugged window phone? Or at least a waterproof phone?
    No one can say its because of design because the Xperia Z proves you can put waterproof and design together. Hell even the S4 Active looks pretty good. It may not be a feature that is required but it is a feature that would be nice to have. Especially in Atlanta where we have had a lot of rain so far this past month. What do you think? Should a windows phone add some waterproofing to its list of features? In a smartphone os that is going to look uniform on no matter what phone you buy, an added feature like waterproof might catch some attention on the store shelves.

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    Durability is something I take into consideration. One reservation I have had when considering iPhone is the fact that everyone seems to feel it needs a protective case. I personally witnessed a coworker's iPhone screen break after it fell off a desk... a desk... which I think is completely unacceptable. I don't use a case on my Lumia 920, it has dropped several times and survived. I do know it cannot be submersed in water-- I've seen the online torture videos-- so water resistance would be a welcome feature.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,917 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GSOgymrat View Post
    Durability is something I take into consideration. One reservation I have had when considering iPhone is the fact that everyone seems to feel it needs a protective case. I personally witnessed a coworker's iPhone screen break after it fell off a desk... a desk... which I think is completely unacceptable. I don't use a case on my Lumia 920, it has dropped several times and survived. I do know it cannot be submersed in water-- I've seen the online torture videos-- so water resistance would be a welcome feature.
    I would have been considered a high end Lumia, its just that I want to take my microsd card with me. And as we all know Nokia does not play well with microsd card on their high end Lumias.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts
    I would love a waterproof phone! I love to sail, and there are a few apps that I should like to use when I sail, but right now I don't dare to use my phone when I'm to close to the water :(
    Muessig likes this.

Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    I whup' mah' whoes waaay down all de time wid mah' L920 whien dey not producin'. It holds down fine well when puttin' dents in deir haids.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,917 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsquared View Post
    I whup' mah' whoes waaay down all de time wid mah' L920 whien dey not producin'. It holds down fine well when puttin' dents in deir haids.
    Translate to English please.

Global Posts
    2,485 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GSOgymrat View Post
    Quite anecdotal though, as there have been several Lumia 920s that have just cracked after the first drop from that same height desk. It's all about how it lands. That said, the 920 probably is a good amount more durable than the iPhone, but still. I dont and wont use a case for my Lumia either. Generally speaking I will not buy a phone that I feel needs one, even if they wouldn't be marketed as "rugged"

Quote Originally Posted by AaronDeVante View Post
    Translate to English please.
    I'm trying to grasp someone could have almost 600 posts as confusing as that, lol. Adding to the discussion though:

I'm sure that we'll get something water-proof in the coming year or so; the cell phone industry is quite a trendy one. Nokia is pumping out handsets now though, so I'm sure that a company that specializes in the best hardware will hit that category. Right now though, I couldn't ask more of my 920. It's a champ.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,917 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by In Limbo View Post
    I'm trying to grasp someone could have almost 600 posts as confusing as that, lol. Adding to the discussion though:

I'm sure that we'll get something water-proof in the coming year or so; the cell phone industry is quite a trendy one. Nokia is pumping out handsets now though, so I'm sure that a company that specializes in the best hardware will hit that category. Right now though, I couldn't ask more of my 920. It's a champ.
    Hopefully there is something waterproof by the holidays.

Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by In Limbo View Post

You guys dont appreciate good Jive talk when you see it.

Need t'pull yo' haids away fum dose phones and see 'espuh'ience diversity. Slap mah fro!

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsquared View Post
    ~Sal
    gsquared likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    Quite anecdotal though, as there have been several Lumia 920s that have just cracked after the first drop from that same height desk. It's all about how it lands. That said, the 920 probably is a good amount more durable than the iPhone, but still. I dont and wont use a case for my Lumia either. Generally speaking I will not buy a phone that I feel needs one, even if they wouldn't be marketed as "rugged"
    You can't compare 920 to iPhone in terms of ruggedness. Obviously you're more likely to see an iPhone on public transport, but barely a journey goes by without seeing a smashed screen or deformed phone. And that's with casing. Can only go with my own experience, but I'm a clumsy sod, my poor uncased 920 has taken a battering, and for all that it has a minor chip to the body near the charging port, and a small scratch centre of screen

I have the Nokia Lumia 822 and purchased an OtterBox cover for it I have dropped it many times and it is indestructible with and Otterbox cover on an Iphone my cousin droped his and a car ran it over and a few scratches and nicks on the cover nothing to the phone Ottterbox does make an waterproof cover just not for the nokia yet

Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySal View Post
    Ahh. A coinsurer of good Jive...

Bro knows baaaad JIBE when he see's it! Right on! Word!

I can't imagine how many times I dropped my lumia 900..even intentionally to boast...no damage...looks new all the time...damn

Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    1,288 Global Posts
    Waterproof + phones = absurd. I understand building a phone with physical durability, hence my love for the 920..but the water resistance is overkill and dumb imo.

Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    I wanted a water proof windows phone for over a year. There should at least be one. Because when i had a razr ( just an example), I would keep it in the front shirt pocket. I would wash my hands, then i would lean forward to wash my face the damn thing would fall into the sink. That happened a few times. Luckily it survived. I don't know how though.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,917 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chezm View Post
    Waterproof + phones = absurd. I understand building a phone with physical durability, hence my love for the 920..but the water resistance is overkill and dumb imo.
    No it is not how many cases of phones dropping into toilets or water have you heard. Happened to ne twice in the past and especially in an area where it rains a lot it is useful. Or even working around liquids like a lifeguard. Its just a feature that would be nice and a differentiator compared to other phones.

The Hustleman likes this.

Global Posts
    1,288 Global Posts
    No it is not how many cases of phones dropping into toilets or water have you heard. Happened to ne twice in the past and especially in an area where it rains a lot it is useful. Or even working around liquids like a lifeguard. Its just a feature that would be nice and a differentiator compared to other phones.

I have heard of the phones dropping in tiolets or general water...and in majority of the cases it could have easily been prevented. Lifeguards using a smartphone, ummmm...dont they have specific phones for their work? Or are you referring to them using it for personal use during their shift? I'm confused by the statement.

Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Yeah but when I run I have to wear the Bluetooth ear piece so the phone doesn't get wet. If I have no blue tooth with me, there is no way I will answer back.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,917 Global Posts
    I have heard of the phones dropping in tiolets or general water...and in majority of the cases it could have easily been prevented. Lifeguards using a smartphone, ummmm...dont they have specific phones for their work? Or are you referring to them using it for personal use during their shift? I'm confused by the statement.
    Just having one by the water period. I'm just saying a waterproof phone might be good regardless as accidents happen. Just because something is preventable doesn't mean it won't happen. A waterproof windows phone would be a must buy for me. Just like the S4 Active put top end specs in it but have removable storage and battery.

Global Posts
    1,288 Global Posts
    Just having one by the water period. I'm just saying a waterproof phone might be good regardless as accidents happen. Just because something is preventable doesn't mean it won't happen. A waterproof windows phone would be a must buy for me. Just like the S4 Active put top end specs in it but have removable storage and battery.

First let me say Samsung GS4 active does look awesome...dont get me wrong. The added waterproof as a feature could be appealing, but I don't see it being a breaking point feature. With that said, having it is still cool at no extra charge. I would definitely pick the gs4a over gs4, as the durability is a huge selling factor for me. I'm just saying, if waterproof makes you think "wow I have dropped my phone in the toilet 7 times...i could use that"...you maybe shouldn't use it during bathroom breaks lol
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,917 Global Posts
    First let me say Samsung GS4 active does look awesome...dont get me wrong. The added waterproof as a feature could be appealing, but I don't see it being a breaking point feature. With that said, having it is still cool at no extra charge. I would definitely pick the gs4a over gs4, as the durability is a huge selling factor for me. I'm just saying, if waterproof makes you think "wow I have dropped my phone in the toilet 7 times...i could use that"...you maybe shouldn't use it during bathroom breaks lol
    That's not the point though, like I was in an AT&T store Thursday with one of my friends and I was telling him about the GS4 Active and how it was waterproof. A lady overheard me say that and she exclaimed "Its waterproof?!" I said "Yes it is". She immediately looked at the device liked she was going to rip off the stand and walk out with it. I'm just saying its one of the features that can be market to an advantage by a windows phone manufacturer. Just like Samsung makes commercials based on its phones features, that could be a feature you can market. Its even better on windows phone because there is no other waterproof phone running Windows phone 8.

Global Posts
    1,288 Global Posts
    That's not the point though, like I was in an AT&T store Thursday with one of my friends and I was telling him about the GS4 Active and how it was waterproof. A lady overheard me say that and she exclaimed "Its waterproof?!" I said "Yes it is". She immediately looked at the device liked she was going to rip off the stand and walk out with it. I'm just saying its one of the features that can be market to an advantage by a windows phone manufacturer. Just like Samsung makes commercials based on its phones features, that could be a feature you can market. Its even better on windows phone because there is no other waterproof phone running Windows phone 8.

Hey, maybe it can...i was just saying its not a selling point for me that's all. Everyone I've mentioned it to had the same reaction as me, its a feature that wouldn't sway their opinion on a device. To each their own.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,917 Global Posts
    Hey, maybe it can...i was just saying its not a selling point for me that's all. Everyone I've mentioned it to had the same reaction as me, its a feature that wouldn't sway their opinion on a device. To each their own.
    Exactly it may not sway you but it might sway others. Look at the Xperia Z, one if its main selling points is that it is waterproof. Its the only high end phone besides the GS4 Active that is waterproof.

Sent from my XT907 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast