Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Jazmac
  • 2 Post By Qaaf
  • 1 Post By migueli2
  • 1 Post By AndyCalling
  • 1 Post By mayconvert

I know there are lots of "All things MS" fans here, but before you start calling names and getting defensive, hear me out.

I have been trying to transition from Gmail/Yahoo to outlook.com, but the transition is much more painful than I originally thought. I have had several issues and been trying to get help from different sources, but no one seem to have any good answers.

Here is my problem:

I have imported my contacts from multiple account, but there are many duplicates. You can not delete multiple/all contacts at once in outlook.com. And yes, I have tried the stupid "Clean up contacts" option, but as I said, it is very stupid. The "clean up contact" option merges different individuals with same first or last names, which is pretty dumb, plus, what about contacts that I don't want? I can delete or merge my contacts in Gmail in less than 30 seconds; not sure why so much work for outlook.com, which was supposed to be the next best thing since sliced bread. Am I missing something here or this is just very poor design?? Any ideas how to clean my contacts without deleting them one at a time??

I don't even want to mention the &^%$# calendar ( Actually I just did). I have been trying to subscribe/synch my work calender to outlook.com , but for some %^&@# reason keep getting an error message. I have used different computers, different browsers and different accounts, but the problem persists. Tried the MS forums and store employees, but no one seem to have a clue what to do.

This is really getting frustrating. I have been trying to use all things windows etc, but keep facing these little annoying problems that no one seem to help. If a 'loyal' customer faces all these problems and frustration, imagine what would happen if someone is new and wants to change; they would go back to whatever they were using before. MS needs to be better.

Well, its not as bad as it seems. The biggest and best decision you made is to migrate to Outlook. It is far better than yahoo and miles better than gmail. Duplicates are a monster and Outlook doesn't provide a way to remove them if they already exist. But look here to get some help.
    Delete Duplicate Microsoft Outlook Contacts - Slipstick Systems
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

A little more information would help us to help you.

For your contacts, are you saying that you have imported identical contacts from multiple different sources and now have duplicated contacts stored in outlook.com?

For the calendar subscription, please post the error message that you are seeing.

Do you have access to a copy of Outlook or Windows Mail, or are you constrained to using the web interface?
    Lumia 925 | Surface Pro |
    Thanked by:
    Qaaf 
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    If it's so painful and things aren't working......maybe don't transition?

Thanks for the useless advice. I was just trying to make a point, but I guess your are too smart to get it. FYI: staying with Google is worse and could be be a lot more painful in other ways. By the way, its better to keep one's mouth shut instead of spewing out garbage.
    Thanked by:
    rdubmu and mayconvert like this.

Quote Originally Posted by markfive View Post
    A little more information would help us to help you.

For your contacts, are you saying that you have imported identical contacts from multiple different sources and now have duplicated contacts stored in outlook.com?

For the calendar subscription, please post the error message that you are seeing.

Do you have access to a copy of Outlook or Windows Mail, or are you constrained to using the web interface?
    Thanks.
    I might have had the same contacts in different accounts. To answer your first questions, maybe, but there are different individuals with same last or first name that the "clean up" is trying to merge. I uncheck the boxes, but the next page still has the same folks.

I am only using the web interface.

" There's a problem with the calendar URL that you entered. Please make sure you've entered it correctly and try again."
    I have used the same link in Google and Yahoo calenders and it works fine, but not sure why I keep getting this message.

Thanks for your help.

I migrated all my stuff from Google to Microsoft.
    I managed to do it in less than 1 day, so you're able too.
    I just went to Gmail account, exported contact file and imported on outlook.com account. Yes it's true it duplicated like 30 contacts in 453. So not that big deal. Worth it. I'm really happy I managed to extinguish Google once for all from my life.
    Current WP: Lumia 925
    Current WT: Microsoft Surface 2 w/ Touch Cover 2

History WP: Samsung Omnia W > Lumia 710 > Lumia 800 > Lumia 620 > Lumia 820 > Samsung ATIV S > Lumia 920
    History WT: Asus Vivo TAB Smart > Toshiba Encore 8 > Microsoft Surface RT
    Thanked by:
    faalil 
    Jazmac likes this.

Microsoft have a rather nice ecosystem on the whole, but their account management systems are horrid. It is easy to get something set wrong or go wrong in the transfer from an old account or getting a random Skype name generated by Win8 and finding it glued in place. I could go on. Month waiting periods to make any change are easily triggered as well. The good news is that once it's all set up you're golden. No more issues. Dropping Google entirely is hard though. Google search is still an essential engine for when Bing's list is just too curated. Also, dropping Youtube is impossible and a Google account is needed for that. Still, no regrets moving to Outlook now it's sorted.
    jobinthomas likes this.

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyCalling View Post
    (...) Also, dropping Youtube is impossible and a Google account is needed for that. Still, no regrets moving to Outlook now it's sorted.
    I don't know you guys but I use a Microsoft account to access Google services that require a Google account.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaaf View Post
    Thanks.
    I might have had the same contacts in different accounts. To answer your first questions, maybe, but there are different individuals with same last or first name that the "clean up" is trying to merge. I uncheck the boxes, but the next page still has the same folks.

" There's a problem with the calendar URL that you entered. Please make sure you've entered it correctly and try again."
    I have used the same link in Google and Yahoo calenders and it works fine, but not sure why I keep getting this message.
    Ok, in this case I think your easiest solution for the contacts is to export them to a CSV file, tidy them up and then re-import them. It's the only way you will be able to see all the columns alongside each other (unless you have access to a copy of Outlook). If you prefer, try merging them all into Gmail and then tidy them up there (although I suspect you will have the same, or a similar, set of issues).

For the calendar URL, can you confirm that it's a .ics link? What's the source platform (Exchange? Domino?)
    Lumia 925 | Surface Pro |

You set outlook with the outlook connector clean them up in outlook the corrections will automatically sync to your device (with patience)

Quote Originally Posted by markfive View Post

For the calendar URL, can you confirm that it's a .ics link? What's the source platform (Exchange? Domino?)
    Sorry, but how can I find out if the link is . ics or source platform?

By now you could have your contacts cleaned up. Export them to a csv spreadsheet file and fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by T Moore View Post
    By now you could have your contacts cleaned up. Export them to a csv spreadsheet file and fix it.
    Thanks for the advice, but are you posting comments for the sake of posting them? If you opened your eyes and read my last post, you would have seen that I was not talking about the contacts.

You do miss the point though; managing contacts should never be this difficult.

I use my Google account to access my Windows crap.

Hey, I'm a little bit late on this one, but I was also sick of having contact duplicates and incorrect data.

Been using Evercontact for a while now, because I was tired of my messy address book. Bought Flashback, which is basically sorting out all my contacts in my address book. Really happy about it.

Why don't you give it a try? They just published a little how-to, check it out here.

Global Posts
    1,028 Global Posts
    I try exporting my contacts from Outlook.com and all I get is an empty Excel sheet...tried selecting the contacts I want to export as well and didn't work.

I do wish MS would add the ability to print contacts, calendar and appointments.
    I am also experiencing this same problem. On Windows Phone it works great, everything gets merged. The problem is on other platforms, if I import and sync my google/facebook/linkedin contacts what happens is they merge, but they are not really merged. It is really like 5 contacts showing as one. On Windows Phone if you you do hard reset you have to re merge contacts. It is really frustrating.

Seriously this is a big issue. I hope they fix this. i just spent a better part of 3 hours trying to delete contacts and unsyncing services like facebook, gmail, yahoo..etc because it is a clusterfuc#$
    Quote Originally Posted by thatotherdude24 View Post
    I try exporting my contacts from Outlook.com and all I get is an empty Excel sheet...tried selecting the contacts I want to export as well and didn't work.

I do wish MS would add the ability to print contacts, calendar and appointments.
    If you use outlook 2013 you can do this.

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    If it's so painful and things aren't working......maybe don't transition?
    What a D*ck comment.. it's easy when you have 2 contacts, mommy and daddy.
    rdubmu likes this.

There is something to be said for just keeping accounts separate and let you different calendars be merged via windows phone software. My personal account is outlook and my business account is Gmail. All events from both accounts sync perfectly with my phone. For some dumb reason, the windows 8.1 app doesn't not work with non-Microsoft accounts.

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    QAAF,

I feel your pain man. Windows contacts and calendar syncing might be the worst in the world.
    I finally gave up and added my Gmail in accounts and told it to sync contacts. Outlook.com and Microsoft Outlook from Office 365 ( mac and windows 8 version) are both useless as hell.

You have to ignore douchbags like Ammarmalik2011

I have tried everything. Even going into outlook.com and manually adding contacts wouldn't sync to the phone.
    So, I tried Microsoft Outlook from Office 365 using both Mac and PC versions on the latest software. That was even more useless.
    Even if I added a contact on Office 365 on the mac side, it wouldn't even sync it to the same Office 365 using the Same outlook.com email account.
    Outlook from Office is the worst program I have ever used. It was supposed to be windows area for contacts, calendar, notes etc, but its a worthless pile of poo basically.
    I see why so many people are switching to macs. I have a Mac but I also have Windows 8.1 installed on a partition I can boot into when needed.

My Nokia 1520 had AT&T address book app installed, but it would just simply crash after trying to open it. another useless app.
    I know people leave android and iPhone for windows phone for whatever reason, but I finally just gave up and used google to do all my contacts and calendar.
    Great part about WP 8.1 is when I installed my icloud.com email, it did give me an option to import the contacts from my icloud acct. Worked perfect and I can edit them on the mac or online and it syncs with the phone.

Microsoft needs to copy iCloud from start to finish because obviously they have NO clue how to handle account syncing.

Wish I had a better answer or was more helpful, but as much as I love WP8.1 microsoft still needs to pull their heads out of their arses and fix crap as simply as syncing things across multiple platforms.

Goodluck.
    Quote Originally Posted by mayconvert View Post
    QAAF,

Outlook from Office is the worst program I have ever used. It was supposed to be .
    Great part about WP 8.1 is when I installed my icloud.com email, it did give me an option to import the contacts from my icloud acct. Worked perfect and I can edit them on the mac or online and it syncs with the phone.

Microsoft needs to copy iCloud from start to finish because obviously they have NO clue how to handle account syncing.

Goodluck.
    Wow this is great information regarding the iCloud contacts! Now does iCloud contacts sync with the people hub in windows 8.1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rdubmu View Post
    Wow this is great information regarding the iCloud contacts! Now does iCloud contacts sync with the people hub in windows 8.1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To be honest, I don't know. I find the people hub confusing, for lack of a better word. It's like an address book or contacts with a social aspect added.
    I don't use the people hub much at all. It's another area I feel that microsoft missed the boat.
    I get the idea of it, but it doesn't pull it off in the end. Syncing mutiple accounts and tying them together propery should have been a number one priorty at MS since they obviously must know that right now, it's a complete mess.
    I don't remember anything syncing properly with people hub. I even names that were identical had to be manually "linked" in the people hub.
    I actually stopped syncing contacts from facebook to the Nokia 1520 because the phone wasn't smart enough to tie them together and it was too much work linking every single contact to another service like iCloud, gmail and facebook.
    It would have been great to have used Outlook to tie all that together for me, but as I mention, outlook is horrible. Hate the program with a passion.

I really love WP 8.1 and the Nokia 1520 is an awesome device, but I returned the 1520 and went back to an iPhone and LG G2.

I have been excited for WP in general since release. I bought my wife the very first WP ever released. (can't remember the name of it but it had a physical slide out keyboard) Then I bought her the HTC Titan, and she is now on a Nokia 1520.

The OS just isn't ready for me yet. After being spoiled with easy of syncing everything via Apple, iCloud and gmail and Android, I just get frustrated with WP right now.
    I will be back. I may have to wait for WP 8.2 or 9.0 or whatever. Maybe by then, Microsoft will fix their syncing issues and I can move to WP permanently.
    Until they fix quite a few things in that area, I will just have to watch from the outside.

I still get to play around with the wifes 1520, so I still get to mess with Wp and 8.1 a little, when she lets me touch her phone.