Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dba415 View Post
    I feel Windows Phone 8 is stagnant to be honest. At least with Android, each company has their own unique spins on it. Sony, Samsung, HTC, all have different UIs to an extent that differentiates one another. Then you have Google Nexus with the stock Android, which a lot of people like as well.

At this point in time, there is no difference in Windows Phones other than a handful of exclusive apps. Every Windows Phone looks like the other, which makes it stupid really, because why not just release one WP8 phone and market the **** out of that thing like Apple does with iPhone?

I really don't get what Microsoft is doing. This single platform, but multiple phones thing really doesn't work that well. Also, there is no longer any innovation with Windows Phone. Same as Apple, the OS has looked the same more or less since its beginning.

I would not bet on Windows Phone doing much in the future other than being a distant 3rd.
    Taken in a vacuum, maybe some of those points. But if MS brings together their multi device integration, and polishes up the Surface PRO tablet so that it gets the same battery as ARM tablets along with the processing power of laptops that cost the same price, then I could see more people using their windows 8 devices being drawn to the phones as well.
    Bobert_123 likes this.

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    No. It'll always be terrible, and no one will ever buy them. No more apps will come, and the phones will just get worse. MSFT, HTC, and Nokia will all go bankrupt. Isn't that what happened to Apple?
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

Global Posts
    3,036 Global Posts
    I have used every platform of smart phone except IOS and by far I feel WP8 is superior in every way. More and more people are taking a closer look at my device and contemplating purchasing one. Many friends with Apple IPhones are not happy with their phone or apple.

Global Posts
    1,938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nube_android View Post
    Hey guys I know we constantly say windows phone will gain market share get better etc but when will we really see it become the third platform? On a side note, do you think that windows phones on the low end offer a better experience than equivalent Androids because of the OS?
    Yes!

Remind me.. Is it possible Microsoft is talking about new features at Mobile World Congress next week? Or have they said they won't be announcing anything?

Edit: Just looked into it.. I guess not. Bummer.

Btw, came across this page and really liked the "Smoked by Windows Phone" video: Windows Phone Showing How It. Not sure why Microsoft doesn't use stuff like this in their TV ads. Does such a nice job of showing off the simplicity of WP.

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    But that's the problem--is that getting better? Things are certainly improving in some important ways, but after the huge launch of a new OS with new, competitive phones that was tied into the simultaneous launch of new desktop and tablet OS during a holiday season, WP still lost ground to iOS and Android. Windows Phone had a window between the launch of the iPhone 5 and the unveiling of BB10 to do something big, and they still lost marketshare. And now this year's line of Android phones is being announced.
    I agree that things are improving, but it could be a long, slow climb out of the smartphone basement, rather than a big jump up. There's even more competition now than there was in the fall, as strange as that sounds.
    Yes, that is really getting better. In all honesty, the o/s needs more polish - and it will get I'm sure. But it's ultimately up to consumers to make the decision.

And if you were expecting to wake up one day and read WP became #2 overnight, well....
    My next phone...
    Cleavitt76 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jabtano View Post
    I'll be honest here I have 12 WP7 devices for my company. plus one WP8 and 5 WP7 at home. I'm locked into T-MO for both home and business. I'm a big screen person and from the feed back I'm getting on the 12 L710 they all want larger devices. as do I. but it doesn't matter what MS does if the OEM's do not spread both high and low end devices across the carriers no way will I turn everything over to AT&T.. So my next device next month "personal" may not be a WP8 device. there are things people can do with Android that we can not do or have with WP8.. as a share holder in MS it's nothing but utter frustration. in the ho-hum attitude in getting things done. Apps hitting android and apple before our own, yes I can see the mind set well we will sell more there, true but it leaves a rotten taste for MS.
    Why do you think that is? Ultimately developers want to make money. Period. They are completely o/s agnostic. They could give a flying **** about any o/s - it's nothing personal.

What I find kind of funny is although you are a MSFT shareholder, you may not continue to support your investment. But you expect others to/
    My next phone...
    a5cent likes this.

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I feel Windows Phone 8 is stagnant to be honest. At least with Android, each company has their own unique spins on it. Sony, Samsung, HTC, all have different UIs to an extent that differentiates one another. Then you have Google Nexus with the stock Android, which a lot of people like as well.

At this point in time, there is no difference in Windows Phones other than a handful of exclusive apps. Every Windows Phone looks like the other, which makes it stupid really, because why not just release one WP8 phone and market the **** out of that thing like Apple does with iPhone?

I really don't get what Microsoft is doing. This single platform, but multiple phones thing really doesn't work that well. Also, there is no longer any innovation with Windows Phone. Same as Apple, the OS has looked the same more or less since its beginning.

I would not bet on Windows Phone doing much in the future other than being a distant 3rd.
    Bollocks. Android is Android. Regardless if it's on a G3, HTC or Experia. The shells may be different, but it's essentially the same experience. And users pay a price in the form of fragmentation.

But you're right - I can't tell the difference between my Ativ S and any other Windows Phone. I confuse it with with a Lumia 620 all the time. *rolls eyes*
    My next phone...
  9. tgp

Global Posts
    1,767 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nube_android View Post
    Hey guys I know we constantly say windows phone will gain market share get better etc but when will we really see it become the third platform? On a side note, do you think that windows phones on the low end offer a better experience than equivalent Androids because of the OS?
    A low end Windows phone will run faster & smoother than a low end Android (I had both), but in the end I still think the Android offers a better experience. It will still do most of the functions of an Android, but a Windows Phone still has the functionality limits of a Windows Phone.

Global Posts
    466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    Bollocks. Android is Android. Regardless if it's on a G3, HTC or Experia. The shells may be different, but it's essentially the same experience. And users pay a price in the form of fragmentation.
    I never understood this. Don't they all have access to the exact same apps, with exceptions due to hardware?

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FinancialP View Post
    I never understood this. Don't they all have access to the exact same apps, with exceptions due to hardware?

"Google Play uses your app’s stated requirements to filter it from devices that don’t meet those requirements.
    This way, users never even see apps that won’t work properly on their devices. As long as you accurately describe your app’s requirements, you don’t need to worry about users blaming you for compatibility problems."

I do think things will continue to get better for Windows Phone. Lets not forget that WP8 has only been out for 3.5 months and many of the phones that run it weren't out until after that. MS was not actively marketing WP7. I think they were holding out until they could fill the tablet gap in their ecosystem with Windows 8/RT. However, they are pushing forward now that WP8 and Windows 8 are out. In my opinion, MS has the best design for a consumer computing ecosystem available right now. They went from being a few years behind, to being way ahead of the competition when you look at the whole ecosystem as a result of Windows 8, WP8, and Surface. MS just needs to polish and market their ecosystem and they will catch up on market share over the next few years.
    Jaskys likes this.

WP needs support, that's all, with support (apps), WP can be as attractive as iOS or Android for customers.

Another thing as well But this really MS can't help One can walk into any carrier and walk out with a high end Android device. the same can not be said about WP8 as there is only one and it's exclusive in the states.This really hurts the OS. I think it hurt sales for Nokia as well. Yes the L810 is nice but the wvga errr no thanks. When you look at the sales of mobile devices the big sales are all high end......
    Quote Originally Posted by jabtano View Post
    Another thing as well But this really MS can't help One can walk into any carrier and walk out with a high end Android device. the same can not be said about WP8 as there is only one and it's exclusive in the states.This really hurts the OS. I think it hurt sales for Nokia as well. Yes the L810 is nice but the wvga errr no thanks. When you look at the sales of mobile devices the big sales are all high end......
    I'm not sure I understand you correctly, but if I did, then almost every one of those statements is wrong:

1) Ignoring Nokia's supply issues, the Lumia 920 is available almost everywhere in the world. In only two countries (that I am aware of) is the Lumia 920 exclusive to specific carriers.
    2) You can walk into almost any telecom shop in the western world and pick up the Lumia 920. Again, only in two countries is this otherwise.
    3) World wide, the overwhelming majority of sales are made at the low end! Only in western continental Europe and the U.S. do high end devices make major contributions to sales volume.

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    I'm not sure I understand you correctly, but if I did, then almost every one of those statements is wrong:

1) Ignoring Nokia's supply issues, the Lumia 920 is available almost everywhere in the world. In only two countries (that I am aware of) is the Lumia 920 exclusive to specific carriers.
    2) You can walk into almost any telecom shop in the western world and pick up the Lumia 920. Again, only in two countries is this otherwise.
    3) World wide, the overwhelming majority of sales are made at the low end! Only in western continental Europe and the U.S. do high end devices make major contributions to sales volume.
    Yes I'm speaking State side. Doesn't make it good or bad, the point is there is a slew of low and middle end WP8 devices yet just two "world wise that are high end" state side it's one. So if your a high end user your shafted into the high priced AT&T network if you want a WP8 device. In a few days we will a slew of high end Android devices and a few low middle end WP8 devices.

Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    A low end Windows phone will run faster & smoother than a low end Android (I had both), but in the end I still think the Android offers a better experience. It will still do most of the functions of an Android, but a Windows Phone still has the functionality limits of a Windows Phone.
    Plus the ever so often apps for you iPhone android device. how long can MS keep saying coming soon? if all Nokia can do is low and middle end devices what is the point for high end users the choice is getting clear every day and it's not WP8 and that pisses me off I like the OS but as a high end user it's just not there.

Global Posts
    1,122 Global Posts
    I always liked the Windows OS. But there are apps that I use everyday that are just not there.
    It's sad, because for such a stable, well laid out, and buttery smooth OS.
    The lack of apps is going to keep them running in place.
    Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. Romans 13:8

Its not even about the amount of apps missing either, the apps that are there are a lot of times better on android and ios. If you are coming from another platform its annoying.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I'm WP user for a year now and while my concern about the windows ecosystem was increasing over that year, I have to say that lately my confidence was growing. I receive more and more relevant feature updates for the apps I use, I love my new WP8 device and everything feels like its getting better and better. Developer interest seems to increase slowly. Today I'd say, WP might not grow beyond 10% market share the next two years (that would be about 50% Apple I guess), but it is about to develop into a solid OS. One I might recommend to my friends.

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    I feel like this question or a similar question comes up at least once a week.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

Quote Originally Posted by troylytle View Post
    Well we all know that the apps and notification center is the big reason people *****. They are obviously fixing it.
    Well, having a notification center is the only reason i'm not switching yet, and some apps, so yeah, WP8 is perfect, it just needs a notification center, is it really that hard? apps will come by time. I heard Blue won't bring a Notification center so untill then, i'm sticking to my iPhone.
    Par_T likes this.

Its rate of progression is dependent on hopefuls like you and I. You have just made a point by posting this that there is a growing concern and people like us here at WP Central are focused and ready to influence others. I've converted a few family members already :)
    14/55 Cell Phones

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Yes
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast