Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Those of you following the feud between Acer and Microsoft may remember last August, when Acer leveled criticism at the Windows 8 creator regarding their entry into the hardware market. Acer CEO JT Wang was quoted as pleading with Microsoft to “think twice” and insisting that the Surface RT would “create a huge negative impact for the ecosystem and other brands may take a negative reaction.” Yesterday, the drama escalated when Acer President Jim Wong told Bloomberg that the Taipei-based PC maker is having more success with Google‘s Chrome OS than Windows 8.

Read more

Uh-Oh: Acer Selling More Google Chromebooks Than Windows 8 Laptops? - Forbes

Global Posts
    2,333 Global Posts
    They should quit making Windows devices then. Problem solved for Acer.

Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    ***** an Acer
    ~Sal

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Meaning very few are willing to spend more than necessary on an Acer, ouch.

Global Posts
    786 Global Posts
    My take from this is that Acer is selling their cheap as s*** products more than their "quality" ones. (Sorry, Asus fan here)

Oh look another Forbes article talking negatively about MS.

I'm sure the Chromebook's cheap price has a lot to do with how much they sell.
    WinFan1 and bawboh86 like this.

This is surprising but not unexpected, given the lack of consumer demand for Windows 8.

Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    All surprises are unexpected. That's the meaning of surprise. If you knew someone was throwing you a surprise party, it would be expected, but it wouldn't be a surprise any longer. Why the **** do I have to explain this? **** it!
    ~Sal
    mlm1950 likes this.

They probably have to sell 10-20 Chromebooks to equal the profit they make on one Win8 device.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...

Quote Originally Posted by JerseySal View Post
    All surprises are unexpected. That's the meaning of surprise. If you knew someone was throwing you a surprise party, it would be expected, but it wouldn't be a surprise any longer. Why the **** do I have to explain this? **** it!
    calm down bro you seem to be taking offense to this article and Acer the company
    Acer should follow Lenovo's lead and let good products lead them to record profits.

Lenovo records record profits; thinks Windows 8 will drive PC demand
    "Engineering is more than just the number of megapixels." - Stephen Elop

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Acer's products are easy to be broken (according to my experience).
    Thanked by:
    WinFan1 and bawboh86 like this.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyCori View Post
    Acer should follow Lenovo's lead and let good products lead them to record profits.

Lenovo records record profits; thinks Windows 8 will drive PC demand
    You mean the Lenovo that's coming out with a new line of Chromebooks?
    http://www.zdnet.com/with-lenovos-en...st-7000009956/

hahaha Chromebooks are the worst thing i´ve ever seen in the pc market... what a useless toy hahaha

how much does that sell per quarter - 1m ? xD

ACER just quit Windows and go elsewhere, dying company.
    its really sad seeing as I sell computers, Some smart people will pay for quality, but most people don't care if its cheap: case in point, at my work we sell an 80$ android tablet and one time I had to show it to a lady. She asks "will it connect to the internet?" and I said
    "Yes, but you'll hate it".
    "But does it work, I mean I has 1gb Ram, so it must work right?" she replies,
    I say "yes, it does in fact work, you will hate using it, its a piece of crap and it will be amazingly slow to the point that you will be so frustrated with it that you will want to chuck it into a wall...". Stunned, she replies."but...but..it has one gb ram, so it must work..."
    She didn't get it. That's how I feel about a chrombook. In fact, I would rather buy an android tablet seeing as I think its a better more functional os than chrome OS. I applaud Microsoft for trying to put an end to netbooks and especially apple, I mean the ipad nearly got rid of those horrid creations and now f***ing google wants to bring them back from the grave, man do I hate google...
    You know what? There is a second part to my little rant too. What upsets me about acer is that I feel in the past couple years they have really tried to upscale their brand and they are one of my favorite computer companies at the moment because they offer the best bang for the buck and I think them and ASUS did the best job with the windows 8 launch in general. One thing that Is constantly bugging me about the windows 8 statistics is that everyone is saying good job Microsoft for selling 60 million copies despite declining pc sales. And I can't seem to figure out what declining pc sales means...in the fact that what is a PC? Is it a desktop only, or a laptop? Does my intel atom tablet/laptop that undocks itself count as a PC? Is a convertible a PC? I know and Ipad isn't usually considered a pc, but why isn't it? Is it not a personal computer of some sorts? So does it have to have an x86 processor to be a pc? So the surface wouldn't count then...Or does it have to be able to run Microsoft windows? Or does office make it a PC? By which comparison android/iOS/wp8/Win8/BBOS/Linux are all pcs then cause they can run office 365 in the cloud?

I know that's a lot of questions but nobody can seem to clarify what a PC is now. I do realize that Desktops and Laptops are declining but that's the natural evolution of the way things are going towards tablets and my work is selling more 10" windows 8 tablets than android tablets now. Furthermore, windows tablets didn't really exist (not at least in their current and popular incarnation as they are now...) a year ago. So what does PC sales declining mean exactly? And so if that's the case, is acer really selling more Chromebooks than windows 8 "laptops"? What about tablets/ultrabooks/covertibles, do those count or no? I love statistics...there are only lies, damned lies, and statistics it seems...
    Reflexx likes this.

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I really don't see point of Google OS....it seems you can't have any applications/programs besides those approved/made by google. Much better to get Linux in my view. More freedom.
    Thanked by:
    HeyCori, Laura Knotek and bawboh86 like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    I'll never understand why anyone would buy a Chromebook.

I can think of few things I want less than a cloud centered laptop that can only operate a browser and ties me up with Google's tentacles wrapped around my entire life and in every orifice. Sounds like a damn nightmare to me.
    Thanked by:
    HeyCori, willied, WinFan1 and 1 others like this.
    You know one thing I also want to know about chrome books: So Microsoft gets in big trouble back in the 90's for putting IE on the OS and had this big giant lawsuit, which I agree with the courts, for anti-competitive practices. So now with win 7, Europe makes them put in a program that lets users get to choose which browser they want to use. So how come on windows phone 7/8, iOS, and android they don't enforce this or theres no lawsuit on anti-competitive practices. What would be really funny is if MS sued google for anti-competitive practices on the chromeOS, but since the OS is just a browser, what would they have to do lol?

But yeah, I see a cloud only based os as stupid. Yes, the cloud is the future, but people still want native applications because lets face it, you still can't always get an internet connection. Not only that, I Would rather go with an android netbook over a chromeos netbook seeing as you could do WAAAAY more on it. I would take Windows RT over this and I don't even like windows RT(not because of the fact that it can't run x86 applications btw!!!)

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    I'll never understand why anyone would buy a Chromebook.

I can think of few things I want less than a cloud centered laptop that can only operate a browser and ties me up with Google's tentacles wrapped around my entire life and in every orifice. Sounds like a damn nightmare to me.
    Because they're incredibly cheap, and many people don't use much more than a browser anymore. Seems pretty straight-forward to me. Wouldn't be my choice either, but they obviously have a place in the market.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Because they're incredibly cheap, and many people don't use much more than a browser anymore. Seems pretty straight-forward to me. Wouldn't be my choice either, but they obviously have a place in the market.
    The price point they have them at now is a large part of the appeal I'm sure. When they were $400 no one was buying them.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    The price point they have them at now is a large part of the appeal I'm sure. When they were $400 no one was buying them.
    Yeah. Although now that I think about my workday today, I don't think I've done a single thing that I couldn't do on ChromeOS. I'm gonna download ChromeOS and if it's not too slow in VirtualBox, see if I can make it through my whole work day tomorrow on it.

I think the price of the Chromebooks will have something to do with outselling their windows devices, but in terms of price, they have to sell quite a few to equal one device running windows.

Myself, I'm not a huge fan of the Chromebooks, I think they're quite useless if I'm perfectly honest. Admittedly, I've only had a play on one for about 20 minutes, but that's all I needed to make my mind up... I don't understand how people manage to get by with simply, a browser.

Global Posts
    964 Global Posts
    To me what's funny about Acer's statement is not only do they sell mostly inferior Windows 8 laptops, they also sell the inferior chromebook too (compared to the $249 Samsung Chromebook).

I can't help but chuckle reading the above comments (not in a disparaging way, rather in a "I guess I think differently" kind of way) mainly because I bought a chromebook just over a week ago (the Samsung one - what you thought I bought the Acer one after my comment in the first sentence? ), largely because it was only $249, I had $75 in Best Buy gift cards that I hadn't used since Christmas 2011, and I wanted to check it out. I really like the chromebook for what it is. The chromebook boots up extremely fast - it takes me as long to log in as it does for the chromebook to cold boot - and the Chrome OS browser is very fast too. (Of course, my chromebook's home page/favorite tab, as is the case on my Windows desktops/laptops, is msn.com, so sometimes I search using Bing on Google's Chrome OS chromebook .) The chromebook is very light (2.4 pounds) and the battery life is decent if not spectacular (probably 6-7 hours or so). For the kind of things I like to do (blog on various tech, sports, and other sites, conduct internet searches on whatever item of interest pops into my head at a given time), a chromebook makes a lot more sense than a tablet. (To be fair, a Windows 8 laptop also makes more sense than a chromebook when I require broader, especially off-line, functionality, but the chromebook is cheaper than just about all Windows 8 laptops and it is better than a Windows OS device if you want to do quick web browsing from a cold boot.)

Based on the comments I've seen on various tech websites, I think a lot of people disagree with the following, but I view chromebooks as being more in the same consumer space as tablets than I view them as being in the same space as Windows OS laptops (though the latter is also true to some degree). Both chromebooks and tablets are fundamentally second devices that have some limitations but do certain things well (though the things chromebooks and tablets do well are a little different). The things chromebooks do well are more important to me than the things tablets do well; obviously the opposite would be true for some other people.

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    To me what's funny about Acer's statement is not only do they sell mostly inferior Windows 8 laptops, they also sell the inferior chromebook too (compared to the $249 Samsung Chromebook).

I can't help but chuckle reading the above comments (not in a disparaging way, rather in a "I guess I think differently" kind of way) mainly because I bought a chromebook just over a week ago (the Samsung one - what you thought I bought the Acer one after my comment in the first sentence? ), largely because it was only $249, I had $75 in Best Buy gift cards that I hadn't used since Christmas 2011, and I wanted to check it out. I really like the chromebook for what it is. The chromebook boots up extremely fast - it takes me as long to log in as it does for the chromebook to cold boot - and the Chrome OS browser is very fast too. (Of course, my chromebook's home page/favorite tab, as is the case on my Windows desktops/laptops, is msn.com, so sometimes I search using Bing on Google's Chrome OS chromebook .) The chromebook is very light (2.4 pounds) and the battery life is decent if not spectacular (probably 6-7 hours or so). For the kind of things I like to do (blog on various tech, sports, and other sites, conduct internet searches on whatever item of interest pops into my head at a given time), a chromebook makes a lot more sense than a tablet. (To be fair, a Windows 8 laptop also makes more sense than a chromebook when I require broader, especially off-line, functionality, but the chromebook is cheaper than just about all Windows 8 laptops and it is better than a Windows OS device if you want to do quick web browsing from a cold boot.)

Based on the comments I've seen on various tech websites, I think a lot of people disagree with the following, but I view chromebooks as being more in the same consumer space as tablets than I view them as being in the same space as Windows OS laptops (though the latter is also true to some degree). Both chromebooks and tablets are fundamentally second devices that have some limitations but do certain things well (though the things chromebooks and tablets do well are a little different). The things chromebooks do well are more important to me than the things tablets do well; obviously the opposite would be true for some other people.
    I made it through yesterday using ChromeOS. It was kinda laggy in virtual box, so I made a bootable USB and booted off that. Worked pretty well, although not without flaws. I prefer Word to Google Docs, but I could function just fine in Google Docs. I could probably learn to function better if it's my sole word processor. Truthfully, for my workday ChromeOS was totally fine. I just ran into problems when I wanted to torrent the newest episode of Archer
    Not everybody's day is the same though, and I'm fortunate that most of what I'm doing is browser-based or Word based.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast