Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    WP is in better shape than blackberry. I think blackberry will be catering more to businesses. They have to work hard to get apps, because app makers need to be persuaded rather well to make apps for BB at this point.

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    What should they learn? Seems to me that Blackberry is repeating Microsoft's mistakes: constant pushbacks, early app announcements that won't be available at launch, and a faulty azz keynote. So......
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    There are two things I would like Microsoft to take from BB10 OS:

1. Notification Hub - The BB hub looks good but I am sure MS could make a great alternative.
    2. Quick settings for wireless comms.

What mapping software is being used in BB10? I've seen mention of TomTom and even Bing.

Good God. A dying company puts out two new phones and Microsoft is suddenly crap.

Talk about hysteria.
    Thanked by:
    keizka 
    cckgz4 likes this.

The one interesting thing i noticed, was that the BB Browser supports flash.

Considering its not available on iOS/WP, and its been dropped on Android, where did it come from? Or is it the old discontinued version that is still available only in the UK Android marketplace, to support BBC iPlayer?

It will be interesting to see the reaction to the Q10. Seems like a good business phone, but surely having to use the top half touch screen for most navigation is going to be a very wierd experience. Imagine using only the top half of an iOS/Android/WP device 90% of the time, doesn't sound fun to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DonMorris View Post
    There are two things I would like Microsoft to take from BB10 OS:

1. Notification Hub - The BB hub looks good but I am sure MS could make a great alternative.
    2. Quick settings for wireless comms.

What mapping software is being used in BB10? I've seen mention of TomTom and even Bing.

People ought stop trolling about notification panel on windows phone cos the style and design is not based on notification but live tiles that notifies
    christenmartin likes this.

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ezeigbojustice View Post
    People ought stop trolling about notification panel on windows phone cos the style and design is not based on notification but live tiles that notifies
    Trolling? Microsoft themselves intended for a notification centre but it didn't make the deadline:

Interesting: Microsoft did intend a notification centre for WP8, but ran out of time | WMPoweruser

What was that about style and design?

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    That is true but unless Blackberry actually manage to achieve decent sales with BB10 how can we actually assess that they have something worth saying? The launch event and all the surrounding hype is not the time to assess that, it is in two quarters when we see if BB10 actually manages to make a splash in the market. What if it bombs? Are we going to say "wow that is the lesson to follow?" I doubt it.
    How refreshing (and ironic) that someone on wp forums points to sales numbers as a real metric of success ! I completely agree, except the last part... wp is already in the phase of "wow, that is a lesson to follow", with the wp platform, right now:

Wp sales are poor, and there -IS- a lesson at hand. As to why, if microsoft, bb, android, or iphone are paying attention, that will be the key to unlocking more sales.
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !

ny_yankees, that's a great ad from Microsoft. I really enjoyed that. Lol, it brought back a lot of memories! Thanks for the video!

Quote Originally Posted by tissotti View Post
    So is that the message us WP users should take then? Not too encouraging going forward.

It's easy to concentrate on juggling when you only use one ball!
    White Lumia 920 -- AT&T

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    Microsoft is more than WP8. RIM is not more than Blackberry.
    That's true - Blackberry only does Blackberry. MS on the other hand has an OS, a gaming ecosystem, Office, online services (Outlook, Skydrive), Skype and I'm sure some more, in addition to WP8 and Surface.
    snowmutt and WavingReds like this.

After 2 1/2 years WP8 is still a entry level platform with no Apps. How hard can it be for a beloved OS like Blackberry to overtake WP in the smartphone market?

Bb has a bigger share than WP so

Notifications centre the rest is ok for me.

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wpward291 View Post
    Bb has a bigger share than WP so
    And Nokia is still able to sink billions into R&D so...
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

Notifications too for me. I am both a long time Blackberry user and a huge fan and user of Windows Phone since the Lumia 800, 900, and now using the 920.

I think Lumia 920 is far superior to Blackberry. Only little things like notifications center, improved speaker performance, that needs a lot of work.

Other than that, I love my Lumia 920.

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twice Born View Post
    ny_yankees, that's a great ad from Microsoft. I really enjoyed that. Lol, it brought back a lot of memories! Thanks for the video!
    No problem, I know what you mean exactly. I love that commercial too, shared with everyone
    snowmutt likes this.

Yeah, pretty much summed it all up right there.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridemyscooter86 View Post
    I think one main issue is that in order for windows phone 8 to gain more traction, windows 8 needs to first, and it is, but it had a bumpy launch...Sure it sold well, but people have a negative perception of it. (Even though its a fantastic OS). I understand people not liking it on a desktop or a laptop but on a touchscreen I feel that it is easily the most productive, fluid, and best layout of any touch-based OS. Its funny because as much complaints as you will hear with people with windows 8, I have yet to hear one when it comes to a touchscreen because it rocks on one...I have one...I should know.

So back to the point...Windows 8 needs to catch on and then Microsoft will get the magical mystical apple halo effect where people will be like "I use win8, and office, and I have an xbox, so why don't I buy a windows phone and have them all sync together...?" The smart thing about Microsoft is that even though they are growing slowly, they are trending upward, the same can't be said for RIM and probably soon to be iOS. It seems apple has peaked and they won't go any higher than they are now. Google is the main competitor Microsoft and Apple need to worry about most.
    I agree with this to an extent. I think wider adoption of Windows 8 will help Windows Phone because the tile interface will be familiar to people. It's going to take a little while for people to embrace it though it seems, but I believe they will in the end.

For me it isn't a factor. My primary computer is a Mac OS X machine and I have a Thinkpad on Windows 7 that I am unlikely to update to Win 8 anytime soon (it hardly gets used these days) Doesn't matter to me. Unless Microsoft gives me some amazing synergistic flow between my phone and PC, I don't see myself putting the Mac down or even updating to Windows 8 in the near future.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    All I know is that BB had several things going for it that I never saw with the WP8 launch:

Trending 3-4 topics on the competition's own forums (scroll up)

Hitting the #1 spot on Facebook's top 10 most talked about companies. iPhone was at #5

Making Twitter's top 10 trending most of January

Nobody lined up all the way down the street to buy a Lumia or 8x:

this was in the UK today.

Looks pretty cut and dry where things stand to me.
    socialcarpet "Unless Microsoft gives me some amazing synergistic flow between my phone and PC, I don't see myself putting the Mac down or even updating to Windows 8 in the near future."

Actually that's the cool thing, they already do. The other day I was in class and was like, I need this list I made on onenote on my phone so I can buy my book. I just uploaded my list to skydrive and just pulled it down on my phone. What was also impressive was when I got my new replacement focus s, cause my other focus s mic died and I just logged in with my Microsoft account and bam, everything synced to it, all contacts, all my mail for various mailboxes, facebook, ridiculously simple and easy. Windows 8 was better, I had a windows 8 beta on my old laptop and I got a new tablet, logged in and BAM! all of my apps, facebook, contacts, calendars synced and mail I just had to set up in 5 minutes. it was impressive! It also syncs with my xbox via smartglass. I think MS is doing a better job of cross-platform integration than any other company, including apple, which is what their known for.
    Panwo1 and christenmartin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by omniusovermind View Post
    All I know is that BB had several things going for it that I never saw with the WP8 launch:

Trending 3-4 topics on the competition's own forums (scroll up)

Hitting the #1 spot on Facebook's top 10 most talked about companies. iPhone was at #5

Making Twitter's top 10 trending most of January

Nobody lined up all the way down the street to buy a Lumia or 8x:
    http://cdn.crackberry.com/sites/crac...0-phones4u.jpg
    this was in the UK today.

Looks pretty cut and dry where things stand to me.
    That was one store where there had a big celebrity and were giving away playbooks. Need to read the article you linked to.
    Panwo1 likes this.

Global Posts
    633 Global Posts
    I actually think Microsoft made some great strides with w8. Having the same operating system throughout, rather than having a disjointed mobile os and a desktop os. I just bought a nokia 920 and a lot of what is toted in z10 is available with w8. I have been impressed. I do agree that MS seems to have a "let's do this and see how it goes" attitude rather than selling out to the WP. Lack of marketing was a pet peeve of mine with BB, now with W8 I would say the marketing doesn't do it justice.

and the z10 looks a lot like a black iphone

Global Posts
    633 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dermotf View Post
    That was one store where there had a big celebrity and were giving away playbooks. Need to read the article you linked to.
    Haha You want to take a picture of a line just give something away free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast