This is my first post in the forums, however I haven't created a thread so I'm posting this as a suggestion of what should have been included with WP8 off the bat.
I think Microsoft needs to get their heads together and be more serious about developing and fixing the shortcomings of Windows Phone. First of all they should actually listen to its customer complaints regarding the features (or lack thereof) in the OS. They also need to make quicker and smaller update schedule so that they can roll out and deliver bugfixes and improvements faster.
These are some suggestions (in no particular order) MS could do IMO to make Windows Phone better. Certain features mirror its cousin Windows 8/RT and even its competitors.
1. More customizability: Introduce a color palette that users can touch/drag/slide or enter hex color code to customize tile color. Also include more background colors other than black and white. However, I don't think wallpaper on start screen would be a good idea considering the amount of dead space the live tiles leave.
2. Support for file explorer: Include a file explorer to allow access to user storage. Since Windows Phone 8+ supports external microSD, let user make use the most of the card with more freedom. This support should also include the ability to phone to browse files for uploading and attaching files of any extension.
3. Support for app (and its data) to be installed on the SD card: (I'm not sure if it actually is available) This was supported on WM, there are cheap 4-8GB phones out there that has little space for user.
4. Better support for file/link associations: Let the user decide which app to launch by default when a certain file is opened or a link activated. Example: If we click a link to youtube, an app like MetroTube should launch to play the video instead of opening the website.
5. Support for gestures: Like its bigger cousins WP can be a whole lot more intuitive if gestures are included. This will make task switching and UI navigation easier. (I tend to swipe in from the right and hit the windows button in Win8/RT instead of reaching for the button at the bottom)
6. A smarter Tellme: Just to keep bloggers from shunning WP on this matter.
7. Scalable screen resolution and allow higher specced chipsets: Android is already one step ahead of the game as its flagships devices will be shipping with 1080p screens and 4+ core A15 chipsets. WP may be up to snuff as it is but falling behind makes blogger complain and take away the opportunity to bragging rights.
8. Ability to scrub/seek video, music on default players: I mean, really, is this part so hard to miss? Tapping and holding buttons are painful and counter-intuitive.
RIM is seemingly hitting the right notes regarding many of these issues, and apparently app submission numbers for its portathon are pretty high. I love windows phone and respect its competitors but I don't want WP to go the way of webOS because of MS's inability to fix these apparently minor issues. Sometimes it's the little things that can take things far. I wish MS luck this year. They might need it. I apologize for the long post and am willing to take it down if I violate any rule.