Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By simonnyc
  • 3 Post By MaulerX
  • 1 Post By weetigo
  • 1 Post By Dave Blake

In a nutshell, Nokia now estimates that Devices & Services has exceeded expectations and achieved underlying profitability in the fourth quarter 2012.

More info here

Nokia exceeds previous Q4 2012 outlook for Devices & Services and Nokia Siemens Networks » Nokia – Press
    HTC One
    Nokia Lumia 521

Thanked by:
    Nataku4ca, WinFan1 and 12Danny123 like this.
    These are very good numbers.
    It looks like they sold 4.4 mio WP devices.
    Sold of 2 mio of WP 7.5 inventory and all the 2.4 mio WP8 devices they could make.
    Considering the Nokia is increasing production and serving more and more markets, I see similar sales for Q1 2013 but near all WP8 devices.
    Also good news for WP8... as it indicates that around 5.5 Mio devices were sold. HTC has around 20% of the WP8 sales.
    Now with Samsung (Ativ-S) Huawei and LG joining later this year I can see 10% of the market coming to WP.
    This should get WP8 more good devices across the whole product spectrum, from low cost to hero devices.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

isn't 4.4 million less ?
    All the sold outs, people were predicting more.

I believe people were predicting more total WP8 sales overall, rather than Nokia Lumia sales. Could be wrong though!

Quote Originally Posted by abxy View Post
    isn't 4.4 million less ?
    All the sold outs, people were predicting more.

Nokia sold 2.9 million last quarter. Also, I believe they sold 1 million same quarter last year. Their profit margins must had improved as well. The fact that they turned a profit is probably the bigger news.

Yep, saw that one, too - and it put a smile on my face. Gosh, I only wish I had had the balls to buy more stock when it was low. Nonetheless - my L920 more than paid for itself already, which is nice :)
    Now keep that momentum, Nokia!

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    updated this chart with q4 numbers, but post disappeared. :o /2nd try (image is only 80k, hope size is good).

Shows continued Asha full-Touch & Windows Phone growth.

q42012.png
    Mach_E likes this.

Global Posts
    1,400 Global Posts
    This is all in two months, sales could of reached 5 million if released in October. I think people always look at increments of 5, so goal is 5 then 10, 15, 20, etc etc.

Good start, hopefully it sustains. with more deals and continue interest, i would do a guess of 6 million next quarter.

Global Posts
    430 Global Posts
    You do realize that Q4 is the strongest quarter for every company (that have new devices by holiday season of course)? With all that advertising MS/Nokia put they sold just 2.9 m WP8? What would they sell during normal period then, 1-1.5 m ? Don't consider this as bashing the Nokia sales (BlackBerry still have none for BB10 platform), but I truly consider that sales are way to low for the effort they put in it. Also consider they have several models of WP8 phones on the market, not just one. Interesting to see how many sales where of high-end smartphones like Lumia 920

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bb10_fan View Post
    You do realize that Q4 is the strongest quarter for every company (that have new devices by holiday season of course)? With all that advertising MS/Nokia put they sold just 2.9 m WP8? What would they sell during normal period then, 1-1.5 m ? Don't consider this as bashing the Nokia sales (BlackBerry still have none for BB10 platform), but I truly consider that sales are way to low for the effort they put in it. Also consider they have several models of WP8 phones on the market, not just one. Interesting to see how many sales where of high-end smartphones like Lumia 920
    I'm sad to say that I agree in part. The sales numbers seem lower than expected. The aspect im encouraged by is the fact that worldwide availability was stifled by shortages and many markets had yet to launch the platform. Personally I'd like to know sales numbers in the upcoming quarter. There is positive momentum for Nokia and WP8 given that devices sold has improved. My spouse and I both added to HTCs and nokias numbers on Verizon.

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Keep in mind that sales EXCEEDED expectations. This means that Nokia assumed that, with all of the marketing, introductions, new product launch, etc. that they would sell X million devices. What ended up happening was that they sold X + Y million devices which is very good news.

The goal now is to not necessarily maintain this increase in device sales but to be able to achieve realistic benchmarks. It's not like they're going to all of a sudden stop innovating and coming up with really cool phones. They'll maintain and WP8 will slowly eat into iOS and Android market share.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    How many more could they have sold (assuming they had enough production) if they hadn't signed the freaking exclusivity agreement with ATT for the 920?! There are probably people out there just like me who hoped for the opportunity to get one on Verizon but our hopes were dashed away.

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by derek533 View Post
    How many more could they have sold (assuming they had enough production) if they hadn't signed the freaking exclusivity agreement with ATT for the 920?! There are probably people out there just like me who hoped for the opportunity to get one on Verizon but our hopes were dashed away.
    Well, you can't just add numbers on top of the existing numbers for the 920. If the 920 weren't exclusive, it would likely have been priced higher (equals fewer sales) and would have less marketing (fewer sales) since AT&T wouldn't have put as much of an effort behind its advertisement. It may have still been more, but we can't really say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by derek533 View Post
    They had supply problems in the US even with just one carrier, sold out pretty much all the time.

So to answer your question: not at all.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    You do realize that their phones basically launched in November where 1/3 of the financial quarter was already gone. So any WP8 sales would have been significantly decreased.

On top of that phones like the long priced $250 620 haven't been released.

And probably even more significant, this wasn't a global or even a two week rolling launch, they JUST launched in India for example on January 10th, and still have more upcoming launches, plus the end of exclusivity agreements like EE in the UK. The phones launching in China for example only contributed about 4 weeks of sales to Q4.

All of this stiff adds up, I wouldn't be surprised if Q1 2013 tops 7.5 million.

Asha devices in Asia making the difference. For us WP8 users, Nokia (with the help of MSFT) needs to make sure invests in its future in WP8 as well. I have several friends waiting for the shipment of the Lumia 920. Waiting for 8 weeks now with EE (Everything Everywhere) here in the UK! Let's add demand from 3 UK customers and the question is, can Nokia deliver? Those numbers reported could have been greater if they could forecast and deliver on the great demand of Lumia 920 they've been having. This quarter they will make the difference. I don't think many will wait longer than another 2 weeks.
    Nokia, it is now or never.

Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    This, yup.

Unless someone has official sales figures , the entire thread is still reverberating with "estimates" of sales numbers, right ?
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !

Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    They had supply problems in the US even with just one carrier, sold out pretty much all the time.

So to answer your question: not at all.
    I doubt it. "Supply problems" in one statement, then in another its called careful inventory control.

If other nameless companies can sell 3 million in a weekend, I think nokia could have also. They intentionally ordered less from oem's to limit their exposure to overages in the warehouse.

Of course I have no proof, just like there is no proof of actual sales yet. Speculations fun, ain't it ?
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    I doubt it. "Supply problems" in one statement, then in another its called careful inventory control.

If other nameless companies can sell 3 million in a weekend, I think nokia could have also. They intentionally ordered less from oem's to limit their exposure to overages in the warehouse.

Of course I have no proof, just like there is no proof of actual sales yet. Speculations fun, ain't it ?
    "I doubt it." This seams to be the theme with you as you seam to doubt everything. Why should anyone pay any attention to anything you post if all you are here to do is discount every offering?

There was this from our front page:

Nokia's Q4 performance exceeds expectations | Windows Phone Central

CEO Steven Elop shared his thoughts on the news:

"We are pleased that Q4 2012 was a solid quarter where we exceeded expectations and delivered underlying profitability in Devices & Services and record underlying profitability in Nokia Siemens Networks. We focused on our priorities and as a result we sold a total of 14 million Asha smartphones and Lumia smartphones while managing our costs efficiently, and Nokia Siemens Networks delivered yet another very good quarter."

It is estimated that Nokia totaled EUR 3.9 billion in the last three months of 2012 from sales of 86.3 million units. Of the 6.6 million smart devices sold, 4.4 million of those were Nokia Lumia devices powered by Windows Phone.

How many is enough what classifies as good news for WP and Nokia? Is it the word "estimated" that you are having issues with? I doubt it I think even with solid numbers you will still be crying wolf. Elop is a smart man I doubt he is going to be over estimation sales numbers its bad for business. I would bet that he is underestimating those numbers and just giving a base line for future growth.

Hows about this:

Windows Phone "selling like hotcakes" - Intel chip speculation | Windows Phone Central

Hearing Greg confirm high sales is good news for the platform as it enters a new market. Sullivan was also keen to point out that there is now building support for Windows Phone, saying this:

"There's sales momentum, carrier momentum, and app momentum, with 125,000 apps. With Windows Phone 8, we're in this for the long haul. We used to think about Windows as software on a PC, but it's also on the server and in the cloud and in Skybox and other services even Xbox. Windows is not only Windows and Windows Phone. It's across all parts of Microsoft.”

There is much more in this article to absorb its worth the read but that's not the point of my post so we move on.

The app gap closes just a little more in this article:

GoPro app for Windows Phone 8 in development | Windows Phone Central

I like the first few line and it adds to my point here.

"You know that point when an up and coming operating system starts gaining mainstream developer support? Well it’s happening right now with Windows Phone 8. We’re slowly starting to see big name apps cross the app gap and come to the land of Live Tiles and Lockscreens."

This is true for many big name apps not just GoPro. As the app gap closes and the sales number speculation shows positive growth we enter a new era where it becomes harder and harder to find bad news. Where do you go from here ohgood? Discounting speculation is easy but real work numbers like 4.4 million Lumias sold in one quarter will be hard to discount. At this point all we have is rising stocks, quality apps, and big money dedication from the likes of Microsoft to fall back on. I think at this point I feel comfortable with where WP is at and where we are going. How about you?
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 01-12-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    crystal_planet likes this.

Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you've quoted is not an official sales number.
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you've quoted is not an official sales number.
    You are saying that if it doesn't say "official sales numbers" in front of it it's not true? You don't think we can trust Elop? I think he is the CEO of Nokia, if he estimates 4.4 million in sales we can believe those numbers will hold true? As the rising stock prices shows Wall Street investors don't need "official sales numbers." You are the only one who has an issue with these numbers. It says something about you to everyone here.