Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

I like this a lot. I think if MS were to add a charm bar similar to yours it would be really useful. Especially for settings (wifi and data toggles). I like it!

I would also like to say that I don't like the connectivity or battery info in the second design. It takes away from the clean look of the first design.

Also, sorry if I missed it. How would you access the charms bar? Is it a simple swipe gesture or by using the physical windows button? A mixture of both or is the charms bar always there? Another thing, what about the lock screen? I think the physical Windows button could play a roll in this by accessing the charms bar while on the lock screen? Again, I like the idea of the charms bar. Oh and I think having a charms bar would be better off hidden too ( swipe or physical button to access).
    Last edited by deansmilk; 01-06-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deansmilk View Post
    I like this a lot. I think if MS were to add a charm bar similar to yours it would be really useful. Especially for settings (wifi and data toggles). I like it!

I would like to say that I don't like the connectivity or battery info in the second design. It takes away from the clean look of the first design.
    Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts, really appreciate it :). And for me personally, I prefer the first one better, I think it sustains the cleaner look as you said, and also it doesn't take as much space as the first one (for the charms bar alone), this wouldn't increase the negative black space that is there on the top of the charms bar.

Global Posts
    2,846 Global Posts
    Looks good. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by deansmilk View Post

I would also like to say that I don't like the connectivity or battery info in the second design. It takes away from the clean look of the first design.

Also, sorry if I missed it. How would you access the charms bar? Is it a simple swipe gesture or by using the physical windows button? A mixture of both or is the charms bar always there? Another thing, what about the lock screen? I think the physical Windows button could play a roll in this by accessing the charms bar while on the lock screen? Again, I like the idea of the charms bar. Oh and I think having a charms bar would be better off hidden too ( swipe or physical button to access).
    For the edited part, yea of course, the charms bar is always hidden, and a swipe from the top of the screen shall pull them down (please watch the video I posted to see how it works with Windows 8 if you weren't familiar with it).

Quote Originally Posted by linking1990 View Post
    For the edited part, yea of course, the charms bar is always hidden, and a swipe from the top of the screen shall pull them down (please watch the video I posted to see how it works with Windows 8 if you weren't familiar with it).
    Oh nice, ok. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I am on Win 8 now by the way ; ).

This is my first attempt, so go easy.

I have trieds to include the things that I think would be most useful. Same as Linking, I had thought of using the wording as a direct link to the specific location.

I also borrowed the charms idea but added this at the bottom.

1st-go.png

My next ideas are to add more into the above screen, such as notifications and running apps, with the option to close them. I reckon there is room.
    Last edited by peachy001; 01-06-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Gamertag: peachy001
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by peachy001 View Post
    This is my first attempt, so go easy.

I have trieds to include the things that I think would be most useful. Same as Linking, I had thought of using the wording as a direct link to the specific location.

I also borrowed the charms idea but added this at the bottom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st go.PNG 
Views:	23 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	26292

My next ideas are to add more into the above scree, such as notifications and running apps, with the option to close them. I reckon there is room.

I am really happy that you were able to pull this off, I know that if each one of us did a small effort in trying to improve the OS he loves then its going to happen eventually.
    I like the idea that you brought to the table, to use something that already exists on WP 8 machines, but I still can't see MS implementing this using volume controls, they are finding a hard time explaining some of the things they use in their OS, they even placed the right arrow at the bottom of the tiles so users are not confused and can find the app list!

don't you think that this can be grouped better and better understood for users using the charms bar only? esp people that use Windows 8 already and have a clue about how it works.

Nevertheless, I really find any of these implementations made it to WP, eventually it's us that get the best benifit out of everything. P.S: I am not sorry for your girlfriend =P. This totally worths it!

I really Like the first design, Its very elegant and clean.

And i dont think a drop down menu from the top would be a bad thing, granted I know iOS and Andriod do it that way, BUT Its what everyone is already used to if there coming from another Mobile OS, its kinda become a natural movment at this point. Though I am still in favor with something to the left side of the screen.

BUT, If MS would go with something like the first example, It Still would be a way different experience from what you see from iOS and Andriod. Something like the charms seems so much more....Simple and would flow a lot better, and with something like the above exampe, it would almost seem that you could squeeze more options and menu's in. Plus I like that close app feature that you put in there.

Either way nice designs!

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Like this idea so much! Ehm... What about a long press on search button? So it has another function rather than bring up the Bing search...
    respect306 likes this.

I like the OP's second design with a slight change. In windows 8 to close an open app you do a slow pull, then faster to drag it to the bottom of the screen. Lets combine the OP's first and second idea, a quick swipe from the top will show your battery level, signal strength 4g/lte and wifi status, dragging a bit further would then bring the charms bar down. or the charms bar takes the left of the screen when swiping in. Closing apps can be left to the long press on the back button and then flicking the app down to close. Replacing existing functionality should be avoided, and using the volume rocker could be considered difficult for new users to figure out without having to read an instruction paper. Most would look at it and think there was one function to a physical button, and would never figure out long presses on these buttons.

I love what I'm seeing here.

It would be pretty great to have more consistency when moving from Windows 8 and Windows Phone and back. So these ideas are definitely the foundation for something awesome.

I imagine (hope) that something similar is already in the works with Microsoft. WP8 and W8 working well together is going to be big for their future.
    Thanked by:
    ClixT likes this.

Damn... Just noticed an error on my design. I forgot to paste another toggle button. I will fix this shortly.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    This is great, I would love a charms bar in WP8, as well as unified search.
    Thanked by:

Actually I really liek the idea! After using my Surface, I find myself trying to use many of the same swipe commands on my L920 and it makes me wonder why WP8 and W8 have been designed so differently.

It doesnt have to be the same charms as on W8 (although sorta no reason why not), but those "swipes from the outside" should definitely be utilized IMO. For example that notification center and some quick settings.
    Thanked by:

Sorry if this was mentioned already as I didn't read all the posts.. But I read somewhere an idea someone had for swiping in a left menu for notification center.. Since you have start and swipe right and get the "all apps" page.

[notications] [start] [all apps]

that sort of format.. I really liked that idea and perhaps doing something like that and merging it with some of the stuff you pointed out there.. swipe right and you get a menu of popular settings and notifications... I like the concept of the buttons at the top and then instead of a series of drop down menus of sorts, change the page below.. I think that would be cool..

though I really do like the concept are you showed here.. I hope MS sees them.

Quote Originally Posted by narv View Post
    Sorry if this was mentioned already as I didn't read all the posts.. But I read somewhere an idea someone had for swiping in a left menu for notification center.. Since you have start and swipe right and get the "all apps" page.

[notications] [start] [all apps]

that sort of format.. I really liked that idea and perhaps doing something like that and merging it with some of the stuff you pointed out there.. swipe right and you get a menu of popular settings and notifications... I like the concept of the buttons at the top and then instead of a series of drop down menus of sorts, change the page below.. I think that would be cool..

though I really do like the concept are you showed here.. I hope MS sees them.
    If you read through what I wrote in my initial post, you would see that I mentioned this implementation also. I wouldn't say that would be a bad idea at all, I think that MS has to do something and bring a proper implementation of these features to this OS if they want it to grow on a larger scale. The way I see it, I think the charms implementation would work better as to get to what you want you never have to leave the page you're working within to get to the home screen and then swipe to the left, and after you're done to press the back button twice (or keep holding it) and tap to get back to where you left. This can be made easier with a charms-like implementation. It can be accessed from anywhere, you don't need to leave your work or navigate through different places to get where you want, it addresses more issues (including a universal search, a universal share button, showing date and time from anywhere and the closing an app issue), and more importantly, it makes sense with Windows 8 and the dream of having a one screen on different devices. Think of all the possibilities that you might get with this charms bar, it really surpasses anything implemented in other OS's, not just catches up with them.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. =)

My second attempt.

This time I have added the extra notification bits below the original quick toggle selection. The quick toggles are there so that there is no need to dive in to the settings menu. Many times while at work or other occaissions, I need to be able to quickly do one of those toggle items.

The bottom half is an at a glance of 3 areas. I wanted notifications to always be central but you can of course swipe left or right and go to either apps or tasks.

I have changed the charms. I have tried to incorporate a few different features. Following on from a comment above, I have swapped the "Start" one to now be a close/remove tool. This is used to drag a selected item(s) and remove them.

This is not designed to replace the notification centre, which I think should be a swipe away on left from the main screen. I may put together a larger one and mock up that screen if I have time. Mine is based around the volume buttons or (thanks for the suggestion) a long press on one of the capacitve buttons.

Sorry for the colour too, it is a bit harsh on the eyes and not as paletable as the light blue that Linking' used, but I started in that colour so carried on.

The items at the bottom are: Search, Select, Close/remove, Notifications, Settings.

All comments very welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3rd-go.png  
    Last edited by peachy001; 01-06-2013 at 05:07 PM.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Quote Originally Posted by santillanavila1993 View Post
    Make it just like android but instead slide from bottom to top.
    It wouldn't work because of the touch keys at the bottom of each WP
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Take my money now
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Time, data connection, and ringer/vibrate should be implemented if you plan on taking the volume route.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I like the concept, but that two-point type on a 4.3 inch screen will make you go blind!

Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I like the concept, but that two-point type on a 4.3 inch screen will make you go blind!
    This is just a mock-up. You can always enlarge the fonts and enhance everything. It's about the idea!

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Brilliant! Will save WP8 from haters.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by the_icon12 View Post
    Time, data connection, and ringer/vibrate should be implemented if you plan on taking the volume route.

Not got the time on mine, but I added call forwarding and alarm, may take them off. Regarding the notification size, This can be altered.

It was an idea I had before, it is not designed to replace a left move from the home screen as far as notifications goes. I have not got a Windows 8 PC, so I had not seen the charms before. I have altered the ones linking included, as these ones work for me better and have common phone icons.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Quote Originally Posted by peachy001 View Post
    Not got the time on mine, but I added call forwarding and alarm, may take them off. Regarding the notification size, This can be altered.

It was an idea I had before, it is not designed to replace a left move from the home screen as far as notifications goes. I have not got a Windows 8 PC, so I had not seen the charms before. I have altered the ones linking included, as these ones work for me better and have common phone icons.

Believe me, thr charms bar is the best thing that happened to Windows since Windows! It's really refreshing and it makes life easier. You have to try minipulating them to get a better understanding of why I think their implementation must be a necessity in WP!

I saw what other modifications you did to your design, I like the additions they bring, really.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast