Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Flagz

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Hi, I am an ios and android user and I would like to have a Windows Phone 8 device as my phone, but I can't decide which one to buy. The Lumia 920 is too big so its between the 820 or the 8X. The 8X looks nice and has a better display, but the 820 has decent nokia apps and removable storage. Also, do you think I would like Windows Phone? Ive used it in store and its awesome, but not more than a few minutes have I used it. I am not an Android power user, so I don't need too much customization, just the basics.

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I would say the 8x because of the display and design. Unless you have a lot of music/ videos, in which case go for the 820.
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

8x..no question. I have a Lumia 920, but I would buy the 8x over the boring looking 820.

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    8x is way overpriced for the memory or lack there of. 820 offers wireless charging, diff colored backplates, Nokia exclusive apps, Nokia drive with turn by turn voice nav, 8x has list view only. Also I didn't ser hardly any apps that support its odd resolution so enjoy wasted space with black bars. 820 no brainer.

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    Depends, I chose the 8x because of the amazing FFC (hey rear camera is really good too), beat audio amp (I'm an audophile), and 720p screen. On top if that, design is gorgeous! Light, thin, beautiful.
    Gamertag: the teams Flag
    Microsoft Enthusiast; T-Mobile Revolutionist; Hip Hop Evolutionist

Global Posts
    2,335 Global Posts
    Better screen, better looking, 8X is the clear winner IMO. I would only go 820 if there is a specific Nokia app that is a must have for you. As far as apps not supporting its "odd" resolution (I don't think calling 720p, one of the most common display resolutions, odd is very accurate), the important ones do. You will see more of a web page in the browser, you will see more tiles on your start screen, and movies won't have black bars when you watch them.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    8,744 Global Posts
    Might as well flip a coin. They're both nice phones.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

htc comes in purple. who wants purple. are you a girl? if not I would consider something else. plus you dont get the nokia exclusive apps that you get with the nokia phones which are amazing! i use them a lot.

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andraeseus View Post
    htc comes in purple. who wants purple. are you a girl? if not I would consider something else. plus you dont get the nokia exclusive apps that you get with the nokia phones which are amazing! i use them a lot.
    LOL, very sexist of you. I'm a guy and I'm in a 5 year relationship with my FIANCE. Got the purple one specifically because its one of my favorite colors (right behind orange and green). My friend who lives a few miles away also got purple because its his fav. Color.
    Gamertag: the teams Flag
    Microsoft Enthusiast; T-Mobile Revolutionist; Hip Hop Evolutionist
    Gergolos likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagz View Post
    LOL, very sexist of you. I'm a guy and I'm in a 5 year relationship with my FIANCE. Got the purple one specifically because its one of my favorite colors (right behind orange and green). My friend who lives a few miles away also got purple because its his fav. Color.
    purple is the color of royalty lol
    Thanked by:
    Flagz 

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Yeah but its still girly no offense. I think ill go for the lumia 820 specifically for the micro SD card slot, the Nokia apps, the pure black screen (It has the pureblack screen right?) and the width of the phone is more attractive to me.

I have the 820. No problems here. The screen is fine, I really can't tell the difference. I like the 820 feels sturdy, besides I bought it for $0.01 through Nokia via Amazon. The camera is fine as well. Just really depends on what you use your phone for. I use it primarily for phone calls, texting, emails. Have some apps but not a lot. I'm not one to play with my phone all the time. It's been off the charger since 12/29 at 11 a.m. and still going, as of 12/30 at 2:00 p.m. it is at 34%. I have bluetooth, and other background apps turned off (don't them ON all the time) auto brightness ON, have WiFi ON, so it doesn't eat up my data, when I do occasionally download an app. I also ran the battery down until it shut itself off when I first got ("calibrate" the battery) after that the battery life has gotten longer. Overall the performance has been great, smooth operation and OS (coming from Android and Blackberry), very snappy response.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,406 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nube_android View Post
    Yeah but its still girly no offense. I think ill go for the lumia 820 specifically for the micro SD card slot, the Nokia apps, the pure black screen (It has the pureblack screen right?) and the width of the phone is more attractive to me.
    Girly or not, it's his favourite colour (it's also mine but I'm looking at the 920 after discussion here decided it would be the best phone for me, either that or the 8X but I'd prefer not to get a HTC next), and if he wants to buy that colour, he should be free to. I'm a 21 year old guy, single, but am definitely considering a PINK case for my next phone.

Quote Originally Posted by andraeseus View Post
    Oh so because I'm a bloke I shouldn't get the HTC 8X at all? Just for people's information there are other colour options available, including black. But as I said above, if someone wants to get purple, we shouldn't stop them just because they're not female. I agree with the guy person who called you out as sexist for this.
    Last edited by Paladinleeds; 12-30-2012 at 02:31 PM.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    If you care about the design get the 8X otherwise get the 820.. Most people say that the WP8X is better, but the quality of the apps from Nokia, excellent support and removable storage make the 820 a clear winner.. 8X is awesome, but just the Lumia brand gives you tons of advantages. Think it this way.. when a exclusive app comes you are going to be like "Why Nokia is fragmenting the OS?" or " I am tired of these exclusives I hate HTC".. Quality apps come to Lumia devices.. (Not trying to start an argument just stating my opinion)

Design and display is really matter of personal opinions. I've seen lots of comments where people like the ClearBlack Amoled on 820 better when they have compared the devices side-by-side, even when its lower res. The only thing why I would go for htc 8x is brilliant front facing camera and maybe the design. I haven't had a chance to compare them side-by-side. Technically 820 is packing more HW than 8x (gyro, super sensitive touch, HAAC mics, wireless charging readiness with backplate, dual-led, removable storage, ..)
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    8,744 Global Posts
    The question has been answered. Closed
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com