- 01-05-2013, 03:38 PM #176
What really concerns me is how little Google cares about people's privacy, property, or patents. In Google's world, everything belongs to Google.
Criticism of Google - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"Engineering is more than just the number of megapixels." - Stephen Elop
- 01-05-2013, 05:42 PM #178
So Google isn't a thief unless it steals from you, personally.
Wow, that would get an acquittal for almost every thief facing prosecution, worldwide.
The Google fanbase has become less of a mere tech fanboy club, and more of a religion. I've known Mac and Amiga fans from years past who were more willing to consider criticism of The Mothership.
- 01-05-2013, 05:44 PM #179
Be a polite forum participant and read the prior coverage before demanding it be spoon-fed to you. If you're truly interested, the forum has awesome search capability that allowed me to find the posts about it in less than three seconds.
- 01-05-2013, 05:48 PM #181
Tell you what, Irvin -- I'll steal his car. Then you point out that I didn't steal YOUR car, so his car wasn't stolen. Then -- free car for me, and I'll split the proceeds of the sale with you and celebrate what a cool Don't Be Evil group we are! ;)
- 01-05-2013, 05:53 PM #182
Well, other than the fact that I've watched as the internet become more infested with more Google ads, robbing me of a positive web browsing experience.
And of course they're actively sabotaging ActiveSync, maps.google.com, and Youtube on WP. Something that has a detrimental affect for all those that depend on those services. And then there's purposely hacking browsers to ignore Do Not Track Settings, downloading data from WiFi networks without permission, illegally scanning copyrighted material without the author's permission, and forcing inferior proprietary formats on people.
But if you're argument is that all those things are okay because Google didn't personally slap me in the face then you should stop with that argument, because it's terrible.
Or, if you're argument is, well other companies do bad stuff too, that argument is also terrible because two wrongs don't make a right."Engineering is more than just the number of megapixels." - Stephen Elop
- 01-05-2013, 07:47 PM #184
2) I love adblock, flashblock, chrome
4) not an expert in this
6) gotta disagree, a book should be available to anyone, anywhere, anytime. This is a huge benefit to kids, education, etc. I think its called "fair use" but I'm no lawyer. The scans kinda suck, compared to pay-for digital copies, if that helps anyone feel better. I like the library. Everyone can't goto a library without fear of beheading.
7) mmm, I remember trying to open word documents on newer/older versions of word... the irony
8) just wondering how you were personally effected
9) nah didn't argue that either
Good points, thanks for the opinion
Last edited by ohgood; 01-05-2013 at 08:08 PM.awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
01-05-2013, 08:08 PM #185
- 50 Posts
A lot of people especially Google fans fail to realize that Google's bread and butter is advertising and it's products are made to get information on it's user base to sell to advertisers. In other words, Google's true customers are the advertisers.
- 01-05-2013, 08:23 PM #186
7) mmm, I remember trying to open word documents on newer/older versions of word... the irony"Engineering is more than just the number of megapixels." - Stephen Elop
- 01-05-2013, 11:08 PM #187
I haven't used office in 6-7 years, (This statement makes microsoft very nervous) and don't miss the inconsistencies. One file is fine, another corrupt, a third unrecoverable. All generated on one or another version, of the same software. Before someone calls google evil, or "stolen office", I'm not using that suite much either. But I'm very happy with what I have.awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
- 01-05-2013, 11:23 PM #188
I doubt that Microsoft is "very nervous" that Google fans don't use Office.
The few major sites that experimented with OpenOffice or Google Docs as a replacement for Office have mostly returned to Microsoft solutions. The highest-profile "Microsoft defector," a town in Germany, returned quite recently after noting that the cost of the poor UI for OpenOffice and Google Docs -- along with reduced productivity -- more than ate up any savings they got from using "free" software.
- 01-06-2013, 12:03 AM #190"Engineering is more than just the number of megapixels." - Stephen Elop
- 01-06-2013, 12:18 AM #191
I have to love the idea that Google can be trusted to "preserve a work for posterity without DRM," at the same time that it's using its proprietary APIs and browser-agent codes to lock out users it doesn't want. Limiting access based on any characteristic that Google doesn't like is just another form of DRM... no different than Apple saying you cannot play an iTunes DRM song on a Samsung MP3 player.
- 01-06-2013, 12:27 AM #192awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
- 01-06-2013, 12:30 AM #193awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
- 01-06-2013, 12:35 AM #194awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
- 01-06-2013, 08:46 AM #195
Fair use generally entails the limited use of copyrighted material for purposes such as education and research, whereby "limited" can mean a restriction to a chapter or similar.
Neither Microsoft nor Google should be trusted with the scanning, you would want a party with few to no ulterior motives or chances of future misuse. Huge, profit-making corporations don't fit that bill.
- 01-06-2013, 09:15 AM #197awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
01-06-2013, 12:56 PM #199
- 1,698 Posts
I read, sounds lame, and like crap browsers if they're tricked by the cookie monster. My 4 year old knows all the cookie monsters tricks. Sheesh.
I have to say, I'm quite bemused by your blind loyalty towards Google throughout this conversation. What is the source of this reasoning?Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
- By lordofthereef in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 15Last Post: 11-28-2012, 11:26 PM
- By 12Danny123 in forum The "Off Topic" LoungeReplies: 13Last Post: 10-21-2012, 02:14 PM
- By kenzibit in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 54Last Post: 10-15-2012, 10:47 PM
- By ninjaap in forum General Tablet DiscussionReplies: 13Last Post: 06-29-2012, 11:11 AM
- By HeyCori in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 59Last Post: 03-03-2012, 08:23 AM