Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Google's official reply is "we never supported Windows Phone for maps, so it's not really broken." ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Google's official reply is "we never supported Windows Phone for maps, so it's not really broken." ROFL
    This is blatantly anti-competitive. It's one thing to not support something. It's quite another to actively cripple a 3rd party from accessing data that is supposedly publicly accessible through a web browser.

If Google's response to them actively singling out a browser is just that it's "unsupported", then they may have some big legal challenges coming up.

I don't even use google maps. But this has me peeved.
    HeyCori likes this.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I'm not peeved -- I totally expected it.

I expect that they're going to start targeting Apple, next. Expect to see Google Maps for iOS "deprecated" with ads saying "Android will give you a better experience."

Google wants 100% of the mobile market, as well as 100% of your digital life, and they'll stop at nothing to get it.
    I am in the process of switching from Google to Outlook.com. I'm having my Gmail forwarded for the next 28 days. When the 28 days are up, I'll delete my Google account completely.
    HeyCori and brmiller1976 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowrand View Post
    I didn't try to classify anyone as a terrorist.

Which Outlook.com never has done. Ever tried Outlook on Mac?

Neither do Microsoft's

I'd like to have my contacts and calendar, as well as push email from Outlook.com in Outlook on my Mac. Who do I blame for the fact that it isn't possible? Windows users get those features but Mac users don't.

Outlook.com doesn't work with outlook 2010, out of the box, and you have download an application (hotmail connector).
    Unfortunately because of the limitations of the MAC OS, it doesn't let Microsoft code hotmail connector for outlook 2011. Nobody can. There are 3rd party items they act like a push exchange service that works with the MAC and hotmail.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I am in the process of switching from Google to Outlook.com. I'm having my Gmail forwarded for the next 28 days. When the 28 days are up, I'll delete my Google account completely.
    You're pretty cross-platform -- was there something that made you decide to pursue this course of action?

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rdubmu View Post
    Outlook.com doesn't work with outlook 2010, out of the box, and you have download an application (hotmail connector).
    Unfortunately because of the limitations of the MAC OS, it doesn't let Microsoft code hotmail connector for outlook 2011. Nobody can. There are 3rd party items they act like a push exchange service that works with the MAC and hotmail.
    There's a great client for Outlook.com that runs on every modern Mac, and extends the capabilities of the Mac greatly once it's installed. It's called "Microsoft Windows."
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    You're pretty cross-platform -- was there something that made you decide to pursue this course of action?
    The forced inclusion of Google+. Google Requires People to Use the Google+ Social Network, Gains Ground Against Facebook - WSJ.com
    brmiller1976 and stmav like this.

Well, we all knew Google would never give up on their biggest opportunity for data mining their users. . .
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Wow, I wasn't aware they were doing that. It certainly would inflate the numbers for Google+ and makes it look like users actually use it (when they don't).

Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Supes View Post
    Well, we all knew Google would never give up on their biggest opportunity for data mining their users. . .
    I keep reading this type of retort on the windows specific forums. It makes me wonder what is gathered, and how it effects me daily. I don't have ads in my email, on my browser, or txt's. I'm fairly certain I am also not spamming anyone with "increase your girth 200%!!!!!111" ads via email, txt, or other means.

What is the source for this reasoning ?
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    I keep reading this type of retort on the windows specific forums. It makes me wonder what is gathered, and how it effects me daily. I don't have ads in my email, on my browser, or txt's. I'm fairly certain I am also not spamming anyone with "increase your girth 200%!!!!!111" ads via email, txt, or other means.

When you search for some thing in Google the save all data and when you come back you going to get add after what you use to search for (interest and so) what the do is take this one step higher the want to know all browsing you do so they can sell more adds (get company to buy connection that Google do between you and companys )
    simplified answer
    Maybe some one with better English can answer

Skickat från min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imem View Post
    When you search for some thing in Google the save all data and when you come back you going to get add after what you use to search for (interest and so) what the do is take this one step higher the want to know all browsing you do so they can sell more adds (get company to buy connection that Google do between you and companys )
    simplified answer
    Maybe some one with better English can answer

Skickat från min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2

I use adblock, and adfree, so I personally never see advertisements.

Being logged into a search engine (username password) and seeing previous searches has always been a bonus to me. Searching for obscure medical terms/illnesses is much better if the history of previous good results is easily available, to me.

If the search engine saves searches by IP, or browser cache, changing ip or dumping cache/cookies seems ok, to me. I don't see how this can be detrimental to people.

Targeted ads are a non issue (to me) assuming I can block them. I understand all search engines need to make money, if this is as intrusive as they become, great.

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    What is the source for this reasoning
    It's a mix of FUD and reality. If you want to post reviews on certain Google sites like Zagat or Google Play, you're going to need a Google+ profile to do it. Fact. The integrations will continue, that's another fact.

There are some really simple steps to take to avoid this auto sharing (which I think should have been opt-in)

1. The fastest way to stop it is to delete your Google account. Free and clear.
    2. If you just want to stop public access to your profile, make it private, or adjust access to parts of your profile that you want kept private.
    3. You can also delete your Google+ profile but keep everything else. You lose some features, but you might not care.

As for the FUD, do your own research and make your own choices. Fear mongering exists in all of these technology pissing matches, but don't react based on what someone else wants you to do.

If Google+ gives you the creeps but you want to keep your other Google access, see #3 above. If you want out altogether, see #1. It only takes a hot second to complete.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I use adblock, and adfree, so I personally never see advertisements.

Being logged into a search engine (username password) and seeing previous searches has always been a bonus to me. Searching for obscure medical terms/illnesses is much better if the history of previous good results is easily available, to me.

If the search engine saves searches by IP, or browser cache, changing ip or dumping cache/cookies seems ok, to me. I don't see how this can be detrimental to people.

Targeted ads are a non issue (to me) assuming I can block them. I understand all search engines need to make money, if this is as intrusive as they become, great.
    Just because you block the ads from view on your side doesn't stop Google on their side. They're still collecting the info and storing it in their data vaults whether you clean out your cache/history or not.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowrand View Post
    It's a mix of FUD and reality. If you want to post reviews on certain Google sites like Zagat or Google Play, you're going to need a Google+ profile to do it. Fact. The integrations will continue, that's another fact.

There are some really simple steps to take to avoid this auto sharing (which I think should have been opt-in)

1. The fastest way to stop it is to delete your Google account. Free and clear.
    2. If you just want to stop public access to your profile, make it private, or adjust access to parts of your profile that you want kept private.
    3. You can also delete your Google+ profile but keep everything else. You lose some features, but you might not care.

As for the FUD, do your own research and make your own choices. Fear mongering exists in all of these technology pissing matches, but don't react based on what someone else wants you to do.

If Google+ gives you the creeps but you want to keep your other Google access, see #3 above. If you want out altogether, see #1. It only takes a hot second to complete.
    I've only done a very small amount of googling about myself. I found very little information, most of which was from 'people finders' and the like.

I haven't seen anything creepy about facebook, g+, or other social media. I'm certain there is data collected that is not facing the web (privately held) and loads of it. Since its not public, I might need court orders to discover it. Meh.

This makes me agree with the majority of your post, particularly the fud portions.

(Post thanked

Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDuck View Post
    Just because you block the ads from view on your side doesn't stop Google on their side. They're still collecting the info and storing it in their data vaults whether you clean out your cache/history or not.
    I understand that, just as any other company I visit....

As is any website that I visit, log into, or purchase items from. I get targeted ads, or similar items suggested by amazon, ebay, woot, whoever. My doctors office has my medical history on laptops, unencrypted, running xp. That worries me more than my history of searching for glass bongs or baboon grass.

I'm not trying to pale one company's practices, just curious as to the real reasons for the fud (if it is).

The source is merely how our views towards 'privacy & ads' differ. Just because you're an open book, it doesn't mean others should feel comfortable with a corporation (one of which that has questionable track record in conduct) collecting data across a web that's cast over multiple sites.

I've said it many times before. I had no issue with Google collecting my privacy data when they were merely a search engine. It was the forced Gmail account after buying out Youtube, hacking my internet browser, scanning Gmail emails, and the most recent anti-competitive actions that get my back up. It's isn't just about my data now (or tin foil hats), I genuinely don't want that scummy ad agency to make a single penny from me.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    The source is merely how our views towards 'privacy & ads' differ. Just because you're an open book, it doesn't mean others should feel comfortable with a corporation (one of which that has questionable track record in conduct) collecting data across a web that's cast over multiple sites.

I've said it many times before. I had no issue with Google collecting my privacy data when they were merely a search engine. It was the forced Gmail account after buying out Youtube, hacking my internet browser, scanning Gmail emails, and the most recent anti-competitive actions that get my back up. It's isn't just about my data now (or tin foil hats), I genuinely don't want that scummy ad agency to make a single penny from me.
    Opinion noted.

I've also said before, that anything I wanted to remain private, I would encrypt or never put online to begin with. Occasionally I'll encrypt a disk image full of pictures and gmail it out to family/friends. This has less to do with google as it does isp's, the fbi/nsa/cia/whoever is else is snooping around the interwebs.

I'm assuming you have a strong method of encrypting all your internet usage/data ?

Opinion noted.

I've also said before, that anything I wanted to remain private, I would encrypt or never put online to begin with. Occasionally I'll encrypt a disk image full of pictures and gmail it out to family/friends. This has less to do with google as it does isp's, the fbi/nsa/cia/whoever is else is snooping around the interwebs.
    Generally, I have no issues participating in social networks. Privacy data & ads are as certain as death & taxes, although if I have 'choice', I'll take it. I prefer to choose whom I share my privacy data with, instead of having it stolen from me (hacking my browser), or forcing me into an eco-system where absolutely nothing is private, including emails. I don't generalize, comparing Google to 'the norm' as you do.

I'm assuming you have a strong method of encrypting all your internet usage/data ?
    Outside of Google's web of data mining, sorry, I meant to say "eco-system" and shady conduct, I really don't feel the need to.

Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    The interesting part is when you talk about google hacking your browser... care to elaborate ?

Why not Bing it instead? ;)

Google managed to bypass user privacy settings in both Internet Explorer and Safari.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...Microsoft.html

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express
    Thanked by:
    ohgood 

I bet next Google will start to pay off devs under the table to not develop their apps for Windows Phone. They seem scummy enough to do something low like that.

Google managed to bypass user privacy settings in both Internet Explorer and Safari.

Google is bypassing the privacy settings of Internet Explorer, claims Microsoft | Mail Online

Do you know if the same is true in Firefox?

Global Posts
    659 Global Posts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...Microsoft.html

But my phone isn't allowed access to microsofts bing ! (Touche)

I read, sounds lame, and like crap browsers if they're tricked by the cookie monster. My 4 year old knows all the cookie monsters tricks. Sheesh.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast