Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Choose to do business with them if you wish... I'm going to go with someone who values my privacy, and doesn't claim that because I have a WiFi router connected to my PC, they should be able to tap in and fish around, and try to argue that it's "not *technically* hacking" because WiFi broadcasts on spectrum that is allocated for public use.

If what Google did was ethical, they'd not have lied about it (twice) before getting caught red-handed. If what Google did was legal, they'd not have had to pay a fine to the FCC. And they're in hot water in other countries that have stronger privacy laws, as well.
    Banned

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    In the United States, if my neighbor has an open WiFi network, and I don't get his permission to access it, I have committed a federal and state crime by logging on -- even to access the Internet.
    I am no expert on US law, but this sounds hardly believable. Do you have anything to support that statement?

Global Posts
    1,082 Global Posts
    Brmiller providing the Lulz!

Quote Originally Posted by StevesBalls View Post
    I am no expert on US law, but this sounds hardly believable. Do you have anything to support that statement?
    Depends on your state legislature for unauthorized computer access. Federally they can get you under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
    Banned

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blehblehbleh View Post
    Depends on your state legislature for unauthorized computer access. Federally they can get you under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
    I SERIOUSLY doubt that connecting to an open wifi network is a crime. That's just ridiculous.
    Some states do consider it a crime to access an open WiFi network without authorization. In fact, several people have already been convicted.

Illinois WiFi freeloader fined US$250 | Ars Technica
    Florida man charged with felony for wardriving | Ars Technica
    Michigan man fined for using free Wi-Fi

Here's a listing of computer hacking laws for each state.

Computer Hacking and Unauthorized Access Laws
    stmav likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    Some states do consider it a crime to access an open WiFi network without authorization. In fact, several people have already been convicted.

Illinois WiFi freeloader fined US$250 | Ars Technica
    Florida man charged with felony for wardriving | Ars Technica
    Michigan man fined for using free Wi-Fi

Here's a listing of computer hacking laws for each state.

Computer Hacking and Unauthorized Access Laws
    Are you saying that if you drive buy and your phone connect to a open Wi-Fi you are a felony?
    That is stupid that means that you all time have to check what connection is active .
    If you configured open network it's open if you us into steal stuff inside that network I agree!
    I'm not saying you are wrong buth it's stupid. Here in Sweden there is free network to connect to all over (shops and cafes and so)
    So I connect to what's open where I am.
    If I find a open Wi-Fi that's a privet person network I send them a mail telling them to reconfigure there network. For there are always some that can us it to do criminal things.

Skickat från min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by imem View Post
    Are you saying that if you drive buy and your phone connect to a open Wi-Fi you are a felony?
    I've yet to come across a cellphone/laptop that will automatically connect to an open network. The user has to at least hit the connect button.

Many shops and cafes in the US won't let you connect to their network until you accept their Terms of Service.

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesBalls View Post
    Actually, this is one of his more accurate statements. It's much of the rest that he's "less accurate" about.

Hopping on someone's open WiFi where I live is theft of service in the same way that hooking up your own cable TV connection would be.

Fines for sure, jail time possible if you're a repeat hump.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    "He" is completely accurate. Hijack my WiFi and I'll prosecute under state law.

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    "He" is completely accurate. Hijack my WiFi and I'll prosecute under state law.
    "He" might find what the local library here did when they had freeloaders from the next door condo complex riding their outdoor WiFi signal.

The Commonwealth's Attorney said "what did you think was going to happen with a wide open network?"

"He" can only prosecute if "he" is the prosecutor. "He" might find that the actual prosecutor has better things to do with their time.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Fortunately, He lives in California, where pressing charges is easy, especially for digital crimes. ;)

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    He lives in California
    That right there puts a lot of things in perspective.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Yeah. Out here, we really don't understand technology... Well, other than the "inventing it all" thing. ;)

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Ah ha! Google's agenda is becoming clearer by the day!

US Gov't: Google Chief Visit to NKorea 'unhelpful'

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    For its propri . . Pro. . . P. . . What???

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jlynnm350z View Post
    For its propri . . Pro. . . P. . . What???
    Proprietary ways -- from hacked-up IMAP to closed YouTube APIs, Google is about restricting user choice and blocking users who don't use its OS and software.

Proprietary ways -- from hacked-up IMAP to closed YouTube APIs, Google is about restricting user choice and blocking users who don't use its OS and software.
    Interesting Google is doing what what google and a few other claimed Microsoft for doing whit IE
    Humm well this will open up for Microsoft to implement new stuff in bing and so (YouTube clone free office in bing..... )

brmiller1976 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Google is one of those companies that has endless adulation from people -- they often don't even know why they love it so. They just "do."

Criticizing it can make you very unpopular with people who want to be "cool." They'll apologize for everything Google does, because their slogan is "Don't be evil," and they're COOL!

So Google does something anti-competitive? Well, who cares, it's Microsoft and they deserve it! And they scrape your private password data from your WiFi network? Who cares, it's technically legal, and besides, you can trust Google with your private information, they're collecting it for your own good! And they copied the book you spent years writing and put it on the web for free, so they could sell ads alongside it? Well, information was meant to be free, and you should be grateful that they stole your work!

And so on. Only after Google burns the fanboy himself, will that fanboy realize just how bad things are, and that date is a while away yet. I try to warn the fanboys of what pain potentially awaits them, but they shrug and persist... such is their right. I just don't want to hear wheedling later.

Deleted.
    Last edited by Bearach; 07-08-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearach View Post
    I mostly agree with you here. It sometimes astounds me how much of a blind-eye is given to Google.
    And IMO this the first step to breaking fan-boy'ism to Google (hoping so)

Fuel to the fire, I know, but Google is apparently breaking access to maps.google.com for Windows Phone users. You'd think Google would act more mature than this, but I guess not. It's hard to support a company that routinely screws over its customers.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    And the Google-Corps are claiming they're striking a blow for "openness" by blocking access by devices they don't like.

These are the same guys who support so-called "net neutrality" that would mandate that ISPs cannot do to Google what Google is doing to Microsoft users. ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    Fuel to the fire, I know, but Google is apparently breaking access to maps.google.com for Windows Phone users. You'd think Google would act more mature than this, but I guess not. It's hard to support a company that routinely screws over its customers.
    Fuel to fire BTW I have made 5 confirmed change from Google to Bing/Hotmail and a few that is a maybe

Yup the maps issue is now being reported on many sites. I don't think google is stupid enough to unintentionally break off access to their maps. Quite a d-bag move if you ask me.

Hey but the google doodle was of something I liked - what an awesome company! ...